Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Refusing medical treatment Watch

I have a medical problem that could be helped by a medication ... but that medication makes me feel pretty awful, and the problem isn't cured by it, just the symptoms alleviated a bit. So, I'm inclined to go back and say, "Actually, I don't want medical treatment for this - I'll deal with the symptoms."

However, say I was to do this; would I then be calling into question every other medical treatment I have and may need in the future, or are they taken as stand-alone cases, ie, I don't want medical treatment for this, but I would if I had (for example) pneumonia?

Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Refusing medical treatment in this case has no effect on future treatments

ReputationRep:
    as .B.S. said but otherwise u could probably consult with ur doctor and see if there are other treatments that u don't react that way to if u need the medication.

(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    as .B.S. said but otherwise u could probably consult with ur doctor and see if there are other treatments that u don't react that way to if u need the medication.
    There aren't - it's this or nothing, and to be honest I'd rather have nothing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Since you're anonymous can I ask what disease it is you have?
    That way there may be alternative treatments you can try.. even if they haven't been proved

Yes I'm skeptic but I would like to think some homeopathy could work :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't hold it against you that you don't want this particular medical treatment, it definitely won't affect whether they give you treatment for other conditions!
    I've been on loads of different anti-depressants before, some have given me really bad side effects so I just told the doc I would rather not be on anything. Then I have been back again asked asked to go on the same anti depressants, then switched to other ones! My point being the doctor won't mind. You have a right to change your mind about what medication you want to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There aren't - it's this or nothing, and to be honest I'd rather have nothing.
    Ok, but I still think u should consult with your doctor...I mean they can't make u take the medicine all they do is try to find other options or something else. It really is up to him/her to decide if u really need the medicine or not. You could just stop taking it but that might lead to other consequences, so I think u really should talk to ur doctor, for ur own sake.

(Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Since you're anonymous can I ask what disease it is you have?
    That way there may be alternative treatments you can try.. even if they haven't been proved

Yes I'm skeptic but I would like to think some homeopathy could work :ashamed:
    It's asthma, and a preventative inhaler - the emergency one is fine, just preventatives. I've tried them all; some haven't helped the asthma, some made it worse, and some did fine for that but I don't like the side effects of it. I'd rather just deal with the asthma and take the emergency one where necessary than be on a preventative that might reduce asthma but makes me feel awful.

(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    Ok, but I still think u should consult with your doctor...I mean they can't make u take the medicine all they do is try to find other options or something else. It really is up to him/her to decide if u really need the medicine or not. You could just stop taking it but that might lead to other consequences, so I think u really should talk to ur doctor, for ur own sake.
    Surely that's actually up to me? This isn't life-saving stuff, but even if it was I could choose to stop taking it and die if that's what I'd prefer. And I know the consequences - an increase in asthma symptoms and attacks. I'd rather have that. I haven't been taking them for a few days, and I feel great.

ReputationRep:
    It's asthma, and a preventative inhaler - the emergency one is fine, just preventatives. I've tried them all; some haven't helped the asthma, some made it worse, and some did fine for that but I don't like the side effects of it. I'd rather just deal with the asthma and take the emergency one where necessary than be on a preventative that might reduce asthma but makes me feel awful.

Surely that's actually up to me? This isn't life-saving stuff, but even if it was I could choose to stop taking it and die if that's what I'd prefer. And I know the consequences - an increase in asthma symptoms and attacks. I'd rather have that. I haven't been taking them for a few days, and I feel great.
    Of course it is up to u but completely medically I think the doctor would know best, if he/she is a good doctor. But yeah as u said if u'd prefer to die that's ur choice.. I'm not against u or anything I just think that this is one of your options that is a good one too. because ur doctor can't make u take them but at least give some kind of guidance or come up with other solutions.
    If u feel better then it probably is ok, but couldn't the asthma get worse?
    I still think u should see ur doctor about this, maybe ur reacting to a specific substance?

ReputationRep:
    It's your decision, and it won't affect any future treatment. Millions of people don't take their asthma meds properly anyway so at least you're being honest about it - it's incredibly hard for doctors to know if treatment is working if people are lying about taking it.

I guess it depends how bad your asthma is - if by not taking any preventer it means you'll be ventilated on ITU within a few weeks, then I'd say you're being stupid; if it means you might need your salbutamol a bit more often then go right ahead.

(Original post by Helenia)
    It's your decision, and it won't affect any future treatment. Millions of people don't take their asthma meds properly anyway so at least you're being honest about it - it's incredibly hard for doctors to know if treatment is working if people are lying about taking it.

I guess it depends how bad your asthma is - if by not taking any preventer it means you'll be ventilated on ITU within a few weeks, then I'd say you're being stupid; if it means you might need your salbutamol a bit more often then go right ahead.
    That is pretty much all it means.

Thanks for the assurance everyone.

ReputationRep:
    considering it's asthma then just stop, they won't mind
    but tell your doctor first so at least if something goes wrong they know what you are/aren't taking
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbii)
    considering it's asthma then just stop, they won't mind
    but tell your doctor first so at least if something goes wrong they know what you are/aren't taking
    Don't discontinue medication without the knowledge of your doctor. That's a silly thing to do.

Actually for asthma it can be life saving. Even if your asthma is normally not too bad.

Remember asthma is still a leading killer of young people in this country. Do not treat it lightly.

As for your medication go to your GP with a list of all the preventors you have tried and the problems you have had with each.
      There are a huge array of options out there.

ReputationRep:
      Under the NHS Constitution you can refuse any treatment that is offered as long as you are considered to have mental capacity.
      They won't hold this against you in the future. If your asthma is under control with the meds you are taking - then all well and good. If it isn't tell them you want to try something else. They are only prescribing what NICE tell them to and what is cheapest. If it means that your future treatment is more expensive, then that is tough on them. You are the patient and the NHS says that each patient is an individual that must have care given that respects their personal autonomy.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.