Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I ask because I have taken the International Baccalaureate, which I believe is accepted worldwide. I worked very hard and got a score of 44, so I'd rather not take more exams if at all possible.

ReputationRep:
    Check the web-sites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I ask because I have taken the International Baccalaureate, which I believe is accepted worldwide. I worked very hard and got a score of 44, so I'd rather not take more exams if at all possible.
    Yes you do for must of them!!
    But some great school dont require it, like:
    Middlebury, Bowdoin (6th best liberal), Colby, Bates, Hamilton, Trinity Hampshire, Dickinson, UT Austin, FULL LIST

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p+i+n+k)
    Middlebury, Bowdoin (6th best liberal), Colby, Bates, Hamilton, Trinity Hampshire, Dickinson, UT Austin, FULL LIST
    That list is somewhat flawed (read: out of 5 schools I randomly picked, they all require the SAT).

Just from the list for example, Middlebury I know for certain requires either the SAT/ACT/3 SAT Subject Tests in Different Fields, as a friend from my school is currently a freshman there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    That list is somewhat flawed (read: out of 5 schools I randomly picked, they all require the SAT).

Just from the list for example, Middlebury I know for certain requires either the SAT/ACT/3 SAT Subject Tests in Different Fields, as a friend from my school is currently a freshman there.
    It is constantly changing - so it cant be up to date.

Bowdoin
    The submission of SAT (I and II) and ACT scores has been optional for the purposes of admission since 1969. Bowdoin adopted this policy so that applicants could decide for themselves whether or not their test results accurately reflect their academic ability and potential. There is no score above which applicants should decide to submit test results. For candidates electing to submit them, the scores will be reviewed along other indicators of academic ability. Approximately 16 percent of the applicants and 19 percent of the matriculants in recent classes chose not to submit scores during the admissions process.

you just have to check them one by one ....

ReputationRep:
    '"Below are some of the nation's top liberal arts colleges and universities that do not require students to submit SAT or ACT test scores, as compiled by U.S. News and World Report ". although it is old aswell "
    Spoiler:
    Show

Middlebury College, Middlebury, Vt.*

Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine

Hamilton College, Clinton, N.Y.*

Bates College, Lewiston, Maine

Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Mass.

College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, Mass.

Bard College, Annandale on Hudson, N.Y.

Connecticut College, New London, Conn.*

Union College, Schenectady, N.Y.*

Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa.

Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa.

Pitzer College, Claremont, Calif.

Lawrence University, Appleton, Wis.

Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.

Wheaton College, Norton, Mass.

Hobart and William Smith College, Geneva, N.Y.

Ursinus College, Collegeville, Pa.

Drew University, Madison, N.J.

Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Pa.

Gustavus Adolphus College, Saint Peter, Minn.

Knox College, Galesburg, Ill.

Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Ore.

Bennington Collge, Bennington, Vt.

Hampshire College, Amherst, Mass.

Juniata Collge, Huntingdon, Pa.

Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pa.

Providence College, Providence, R.I.

*SAT/ACT not required if applicants submit SAT II series

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another list
    Bard, Bates, Bennington, Bowdoin, Bucknell, Case Western, Colby, College of the Holy Cross, William and Mary, Colorado College, George Washington, Ithaca, Kenyon, Middlebury, Mills, Mount Holyoke, Oberlin, Occidental, Smith, Union, U Chicago, UNC Chapel Hill, U Notre Dame, U Texas Austin, Wake Forest
    source

ReputationRep:
    I said some - and gave my examples to which ones, I did not say that they all required SAT's.

The one thing that they ALL have in common however, is that they are need aware for internationals - so if money is an issue, its not worth applying, unless you can pay the full fees.

ReputationRep:
    The one thing that they ALL have in common however, is that they are need aware for internationals - so if money is an issue, its not worth applying, unless you can pay the full fees.
    Not all of them.

PS: it is not COMPLETELY up to date - but it gives an idea
    Source

ReputationRep:
    Not all of them.

PS: it is not COMPLETELY up to date - but it gives an idea
    That is a horrible table for international aid, though its not your fault or anything Pink. I saw the same table when I was first applying and through much (annoying, as it amounted to nothing) research, found the key problems.

(1). There are 2 international pools groups US universities consider - this table however idiotically blends them into one. International students from Canada, Mexico and former republics of the USA (Porto Rico etc), are considered a different 'type' of international student to those from Europe, Asia, Africa etc. The former group, gets MUCH MORE substantial aid than the latter and such important distinctions should have been made clear in the table.

(2). The universities mentioned at the top (i.e. 150 students+) don't actually give out international aid based on need. They do so, bar a small minority, for things like sports - Arizona State University for example, gives specific scholarships for Football (American version) and Basketball, as well as having a few specific scholarships for Mexican students, given how the state borders the country etc.

Again, I don't blame you for this or anything (why would I, as you're only trying to help), but the table is a very misguided at best, disingenuous at worst, resource - as I wasted much time finding out.

ReputationRep:
    That is a horrible table for international aid, though its not your fault or anything Pink. I saw the same table when I was first applying and through much (annoying, as it amounted to nothing) research, found the key problems.

(1). There are 2 international pools groups US universities consider - this table however idiotically blends them into one. International students from Canada, Mexico and former republics of the USA (Porto Rico etc), are considered a different 'type' of international student to those from Europe, Asia, Africa etc. The former group, gets MUCH MORE substantial aid than the latter and such important distinctions should have been made clear in the table.
    That made me lol.

ReputationRep:
    You will most likely need to take SAT Reasoning and subject tests unless you only want to apply to SAT-optional schools. I know how you feel about not wanting to take more tests, initially that was the only reason I decided not to apply to the US at all. Then I changed my mind, sucked it up, took whatever I had to take and it was worth it. If you really want to go to uni in the US, you will not regret having taken a few extra tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaartist)
    You will most likely need to take SAT Reasoning and subject tests unless you only want to apply to SAT-optional schools. I know how you feel about not wanting to take more tests, initially that was the only reason I decided not to apply to the US at all. Then I changed my mind, sucked it up, took whatever I had to take and it was worth it. If you really want to go to uni in the US, you will not regret having taken a few extra tests.
    which uni?

ReputationRep:
    which uni?
    The Masochistic Institute of Technology (MIT) - yeah, it's finals week.

ReputationRep:
    I so feel you, the finals at Brown have destroyed all sleep patterns, made me lose 20 pounds, and suffer from anxiety

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard that one before. Good luck to both of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSaens)
    I haven't heard that one before. Good luck to both of you.
    your signature says :
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Early Action:
    Boston College (College of Arts and Sciences): Accepted
    Case Western Reserve University (Case School of Engineering): Deferred :eek:
    University of Connecticut (School of Engineering)

Regular Decision:
    Connecticut College
    University of Delaware (Priority Deadline)
    Fordham University (Rose Hill Campus)
    Johns Hopkins University (School of Engineering)
    Rice University (School of Engineering)

Aren't you supposed to only apply to One school for early action?
    And since you have been accepted by Boston, don't you have to withdraw from the other universities you've applied to?

EDIT: i'm just asking, but somehow it sounds a bit rude

ReputationRep:
    That's for early decision. EA is non-binding, so applicants can apply to multiple schools EA. Some schools make their own stipulations with EA, though (Boston College doesn't let EA applicants apply ED anywhere. Yale and Stanford only allow applicants to apply EA to their state flagship and nowhere else early).

ReputationRep:
    I took the ACT actually, which is what my college required.

I think it depends on what your college requires. Generally my area of the country seems to require ACT.

ReputationRep:
    Either that or the ACT, yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.