Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A few of my friends are pissed off with me... Watch

My friends were planning to go and see a 3D film, and they invited me along. Very enthusiastic until I found out it was 3D, when I pointed out I defeat 3D films so it wouldn't be woth me going. I have amblyopia, which means my brain suppresses the image from one of my eyes unless I force it to work alone by covering the other good eye ... and then, the image is blurry. Because 3D technology works by fusing two images, I can't actually do that because I don't really see two images.

One of my friends was fine with changing it to the usual 2D film, but a few of the others are really annoyed with me because they were hoping to see a 3D film. Well, I have no problem with not going, if they had said "Well, we really did want to see it in 3D - maybe miss this one out and come next time?" I would have been fine, that was my plan ... but the plans have all been changed to 2D now, and they agreed to the changes.

They're just pissed off with me, and not really speaking to me anymore. I don't really see what I did wrong - I just pointed out that I can't see 3D films so it wouldn't be worth my time and effort in going. Can anyone try and explain it to me?

ReputationRep:
    Your "friends" don't sound very nice :/

ReputationRep:
    You don't have good friends.

ReputationRep:
    Your friends are:
    a) bad
    b) stupid - 3d films aren't worth pain

ReputationRep:
    You're not missing much, 3D films are really not that great. More annoying tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Your friends that have the hump sound like douches.

ReputationRep:
    It's not your fault you can't see the film, they are douches for not making allowances for your disability. I mean, sure, they would be slightly annoyed, but there is no justification for being pissed off.

May I ask how old you are?

ReputationRep:
    they're not that good friends...you did nothing wrong and there probably isn't any explanation to it than the fact that they are a bit inconsiderate...

ReputationRep:
    To reiterate what everyone else has said it is NOT your fault And if I were you I'd go up to the mardy people and say if you really can't put up with my condition that I have no control over whatsoever then feel free to go see the 3D version but just know that you don't have me as a friend, I'm not willing to put up with people that can't be nice about my condition.

(Original post by Hurr Durr)
    It's not your fault you can't see the film, they are douches for not making allowances for your disability. I mean, sure, they would be slightly annoyed, but there is no justification for being pissed off.

May I ask how old you are?
    I'm twenty ... and they're all one or two years older, apart from the friend who was fine with changing it who is eighteen coming up on nineteen.

ReputationRep:
    They're ****, they're not real friends.

ReputationRep:
    You dont have good friends If you really have to go leave your eyes closed and eat popcorn.

(Original post by EnVogue)
    Your "friends" don't sound very nice :/
    (Original post by dreamer*girl)
    You don't have good friends.
    (Original post by Installation)
    Your friends are:
    a) bad]
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Your friends that have the hump sound like douches.
    (Original post by Hurr Durr)
    It's not your fault you can't see the film, they are douches for not making allowances for your disability.
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    they're not that good friends
    (Original post by insignificant)
    To reiterate what everyone else has said it is NOT your fault And if I were you I'd go up to the mardy people and say if you really can't put up with my condition that I have no control over whatsoever then feel free to go see the 3D version but just know that you don't have me as a friend, I'm not willing to put up with people that can't be nice about my condition.
    (Original post by RabbitCFH)
    They're ****, they're not real friends.
    (Original post by My Life)
    You dont have good friends
    They're not really bad friends, they're quite good really; it's just, in this case, they wanted to see a 3D film, which I can understand. It's annoying that I can't, but there you go.

I was only really going because we're all going for a meal afterwards as well - I'm not too fussed about the film, I was going to be with them. If they're going to stop talking to me over it, there's no point me going either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    They're not really bad friends, they're quite good really; it's just, in this case, they wanted to see a 3D film, which I can understand. It's annoying that I can't, but there you go.

I was only really going because we're all going for a meal afterwards as well - I'm not too fussed about the film, I was going to be with them. If they're going to stop talking to me over it, there's no point me going either way.
    okay then maybe it was the way u said it...I have a food allergy and sometimes my friends can be annoyed by the fact that I can't eat everywhere and sometimes it depends on how u say it. Maybe they thought u were looking for pity? I dunno. Maybe u could suggest that they don't have to change their choice that u and that friend that didn't mind much seeing it in 2D can see it and 2D and the others in 3D and then meet up afterward I mean movies isn't really that socaible only if ur gonna discuss it afterward so that's my suggestion and sorry for calling em bad friends but they seem a bit inconsiderate if they stopped talking to u :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

They're just pissed off with me, and not really speaking to me anymore. I don't really see what I did wrong - I just pointed out that I can't see 3D films so it wouldn't be worth my time and effort in going. Can anyone try and explain it to me?
    Yes, they're annoyed with you because they think you are exaggerating your condition.

Really, those people are perhaps not the best friends you'll make in your life but I know it's much easier said than done to just find new ones.

Nevertheless, there is obviously an underlying issue going on here that you haven't explained to us for them not to be speaking to you.

(Original post by Anony mouse)
    Yes, they're annoyed with you because they think you are exaggerating your condition.

Really, those people are perhaps not the best friends you'll make in your life but I know it's much easier said than done to just find new ones.

Nevertheless, there is obviously an underlying issue going on here that you haven't explained to us for them not to be speaking to you.
    I'm not sure what it would be, though - this is the only time a real medical condition (and I have sight tests to prove that my vision in one eye is way down, and I don't perform well on tasks that require binocular vision) has prevented me from being able to take part in something like this, and they all agreed to change - if they had a problem with it, they could have refused.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's not an issue about whether they are bad friends or not seeing as they have all changed their plans to suit the OP's needs.

I think that maybe you should have just pretended that you didn't want to see the film at all and all of this trouble would have been avoided. Just suggesting you maybe shouldn't go because you can't watch 3D films might of seemed like an empty offer. They would have felt bad about you not going with them and people don't like to be made to feel guilty.

(Original post by nathan2010)
    I think it's not an issue about whether they are bad friends or not seeing as they have all changed their plans to suit the OP's needs.

I think that maybe you should have just pretended that you didn't want to see the film at all and all of this trouble would have been avoided. Just suggesting you maybe shouldn't go because you can't watch 3D films might of seemed like an empty offer. They would have felt bad about you not going with them and people don't like to be made to feel guilty.
    Yeah, that's what I meant - they're not bad friends, but I don't really understand what's causing this. Problem with pretending is I'd already partially agreed, then got told about the 3D. However, they've always been open with me before, I was expecting them to either say I probably shouldn't go or be happy about changing it.

I'm not really sure why they've agreed to change it, but are pissed with me for it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.