Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i've done my market research, and know most intermediate concepts on products. i.e bond convexivity etc. I read physics at oxford and got a good 2,i in year 1.
    (With lots of ec's etc)

My problem is that i've applied for 10 internships this year, and have secured no interviews at all(but a handful of rejections). Just looking for advice on what other vacancies i could apply for to maintain my cv over the current year(i.e to prevent work experience from looking old and redundant)

ReputationRep:
    Doing well at physics at Oxford, lots of ECs and 0 interviews?

You don't need more vacancies. There must be something wrong with your application, so make sure you get it checked by someone who has a clue. THEN look for other vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    talk to your tutor about it?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    A numerate subject at Oxford or Cambridge and no interviews suggests that your CV is very badly written. Take it to the CV Help forum on here and the university careers centre for advice.

ReputationRep:
    My C.V. has much improved since the start of the process but imo it was never terrible to begin with. I can believe that it may have prevented a few interviews, but surprisingly i was autofiltered out even before some online tests( citi, rbs, jp). Now i have this sorted, what other types of experience are common routes of entry into IB.

ReputationRep:
    do you not have A in GCSE Maths or you put your graduation year as 2013?
    I find it really hard to believe that you are filtered out pre-test

ReputationRep:
    do you not have A in GCSE Maths or you put your graduation year as 2013?
    I find it really hard to believe that you are filtered out pre-test
    i was indeed quite disappointed. (i have 10 A*s at gcse and 6 A's at A level)
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerome k. jerome)
    My C.V. has much improved since the start of the process but imo it was never terrible to begin with. I can believe that it may have prevented a few interviews, but surprisingly i was autofiltered out even before some online tests( citi, rbs, jp). Now i have this sorted, what other types of experience are common routes of entry into IB.
    A numerate degree from Oxford or Cambridge and no interviews means your CV is bad, end of. After all, it is the only thing the reader has to make a decision on!

When faced with several hundred CVs for every position, recruiters start not by looking at who could do the job, but whose CV indicates they couldn't do the job. With a numerate Oxbridge degree and a strong academic record behind that, the rest of your CV must be very bad for you not to have ever made it to the next stage.

You either have very poor layout and presentation, or you are not showing evidence of any relevant skills, or both. You have probably adopted the wrong tone and have presented what you want to say about yourself, rather than being job focused and shown what the reader wants to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    A numerate degree from Oxford or Cambridge and no interviews means your CV is bad, end of. After all, it is the only thing the reader has to make a decision on!

When faced with several hundred CVs for every position, recruiters start not by looking at who could do the job, but whose CV indicates they couldn't do the job. With a numerate Oxbridge degree and a strong academic record behind that, the rest of your CV must be very bad for you not to have ever made it to the next stage.

You either have very poor layout and presentation, or you are not showing evidence of any relevant skills, or both. You have probably adopted the wrong tone and have presented what you want to say about yourself, rather than being job focused and shown what the reader wants to read.
    I can show you, but I can't see it being the reason. Guess just bad luck this year.

ReputationRep:
    A numerate degree from Oxford or Cambridge and no interviews means your CV is bad, end of.
    Since when does going to Oxbridge guarantee you an interview?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Since when does going to Oxbridge guarantee you an interview?
    It clearly doesn't. But a numerate degree from any of the top 5 universities, and a well written CV with supporting evidence of relevant skills should get you to more than no interviews out of 10 applications. So the OP has a badly written CV.

ReputationRep:
    It clearly doesn't. But a numerate degree from any of the top 5 universities, and a well written CV with supporting evidence of relevant skills should get you to more than no interviews out of 10 applications. So the OP has a badly written CV.
    Can you look at it before you say it is badly written? How do you send a pm?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Upload it as a Word .doc into the CV Help forum and I'll take a look at it in there. You'll have to start a thread, it's a private forum.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:

It was empty, as I suspected. I was working on it when you removed the thread. The revised version and notes are up in the CV Help forum.

ReputationRep:
    It was empty, as I suspected. I was working on it when you removed the thread. The revised version and notes are up in the CV Help forum.
    Thanks very much. So you would remain confident that my CV is the reason i have nothing?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much. So you would remain confident that my CV is the reason i have nothing?
    Absolutely. Though I am only presuming you have the material to make the changes I suggested. You have to be able to give evidence that you have relevant skills.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Though I am only presuming you have the material to make the changes I suggested. You have to be able to give evidence that you have relevant skills.
    As for the question of what to apply for now, given that the ship has sailed wrt internships, what would you recommend someone in my position do?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    As for the question of what to apply for now, given that the ship has sailed wrt internships, what would you recommend someone in my position do?
    Anything that shows you can tackle something reasonably complex, without being spoon fed, and make a difference. Could be canoeing down the Amazon, helping at a refuge, running a large charity event, or interning at a blue chip. Anything that shows you are a more than competent adult, with get up and go and who makes things work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.