Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Units of the universal gas constant - Jk-1mol-1 Watch

ReputationRep:
    why mol^-1 ?

PV=nRT

re-arranging to make R the subject, you get R = PV/nT.
    In terms of units:
    P*V = nm = J
    PV/T gives JK^-1
    And PV/Tn gives JK^-1mol^-1.

So this implies that the number of moles has units - moles.
    I thought it wouldnt as it just seems like quantity/number to mee

hmmm

ReputationRep:
    It just depends whether you are doing units per mole or not:

PV = RT (use 287 for air) OR PV = nRT (use 8.314)

Both are equally valid but it depends what the question is asking.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose as a unit, it is slightly strange, as it is just referring to a fixed number of molecules/atoms/ions/etc.
    However it is much more convenient to refer to 0.8mol, than 0.8x6.02214x10^23 or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Van_der_Waals)
    I suppose as a unit, it is slightly strange, as it is just referring to a fixed number of molecules/atoms/ions/etc.
    However it is much more convenient to refer to 0.8mol, than 0.8x6.02214x10^23 or whatever.
    mmm yeh, but when u express the equation as PV=NkT, where k is boltzman constant, its units are Jk^-1, like you dont say x joules per kelvin per molecule, whereas with R you are saying x joules per kelvin per mole... lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.