Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exercise for someone that is restricted in their movements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I've recently started to put on weight and am hoping to lose some of it before I head off on holiday in the July period.

However, I am restricted in what I can do because of an operation I had on my back in January. The doctor will be (hopefully) clearing me this coming February to go back to the sports I did before the operation (Karate, weights)

So, I would like to ask you... what sorts of exercises can I do at home that do not strain my back (weights, sit ups, push ups), involve twisting, or would otherwise be prevented by my condition? Are step ups acceptable? I'm mainly looking to lose weight and possibly build stamina in prep for going back to karate. Finding a gym would be out of the question as I can't afford the time to get there (studies) or the cost, however the school does have a gym which I can use for free?

I'm a 6'3" guy and weight 12 stone 6 pounds, and have terrible stamina.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm unsure what your condition is or what your operation was for so i can only generalise things for you.

Progression is key, don't jump straight into things.

No sit ups or crunches. Start looking into stablity, Anit - rotation, flexion and extension.

Hill Sprints and Squats will get you back into shape. You will have the weather once you are cleared.

Sort your diet out for your goal to lose weight.

Start swimming, cycleing etc and moving more.

ReputationRep:
    Mate go with what a Dr or Physio says - with the limited info relating to the condition and recovery it would be foolish to take advice from the internet.

They may suggest simple things like walking or gentle swimming (note: I am not suggesting this!!!!)- the key will always be to re-strenghgten the injured area and to do it slowly and sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    Karate is gay, don't bother continuing, ditch it for boxing, kick boxing or ju jitsu

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.