Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I've started college in September 2010, I'm studying AS Mathematics, AS Chemistry and AS Sociology all of which I am really enjoying and doing well in. However, Biology is awful. I keep getting C/D grades in my past papers and I am really worried for the January exam coming up for Unit 1. I thought it was just me struggling but I've asked several other members of the class who feel the same. My teacher is useless, she just talks at us as if we're in a university lecture. The set of notes we have been given by the Biology department seem useless. I've bought an AQA AS Biology textbook but as I don't understand the theory behind it, the textbook confuses me more. I hate the application style questions. I'm dreading the ISA. I've been to see another teacher who did explain a little better but we break up for half term this Friday and I am absolutely petrified of failing. I wanted to do Medicine but I feel that I won't be able to because I'm so bad at biology and the fees increasing too. Anyway, please can you help, I don't know what I'm going to do for this January exam. Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Depending on what exam board you're on (but the answer's probably going to be the same):
    The shame about AS Level Biology is that you're not encouraged to learn The Science, but learn The Markscheme.

Perhaps write a list of all your subtopics, and what's contained in them in a few bullets. Circle the bullet points you understand the least, and tackle those one by one.

If you still don't get them, use past papers (available on the internetz somewhere on another, probably on your examining board's site) to find questions with the topic you don't understand in them. Then look at the answers they provide, and work through how they got to it.
    By doing this, you'll get an idea of what they want to see in January. Often questions are recycled, so you may end up doing a paper full of questions you've already seen before (and answers you've already seen before!)
    If you don't understand anything in particular, PM me and I can do my best to explain it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabrinified)
    Depending on what exam board you're on (but the answer's probably going to be the same):
    The shame about AS Level Biology is that you're not encouraged to learn The Science, but learn The Markscheme.
    Perhaps write a list of all your subtopics, and what's contained in them in a few bullets. Circle the bullet points you understand the least, and tackle those one by one.
    If you still don't get them, use past papers (available on the internetz somewhere on another, probably on your examining board's site) to find questions with the topic you don't understand in them. Then look at the answers the provide, and work through how they got to it.
    By doing this, you'll get an idea of what they want to see in January. Often questions are recycled, so you may end up doing a paper full of questions you've already seen before (and answers you've already seen before!)
    If you don't understand anything in particular, PM me and I can do my best to explain it to you.
    Thank you so much I have followed your advice and I'm doing the AQA exam board, if I have any future problems, I'll PM you, have a great Christmas!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.