Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm getting an operation in a few weeks time on my ears... and I'll be under general anesthetic..

So I was just wondering has anyone had G.A. before ? And if so, what does it feel like ? Like during the op. do you dream ? Or what? lol I don't know what to expect :P

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You lie there, someone counts down from 10 but doesn't get to 0 and then you wake up like wtf who are you to whoever is peering down at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    You lie there, someone counts down from 10 but doesn't get to 0 and then you wake up like wtf who are you to whoever is peering down at you.
    Pretty much this. Except when I woke up I wasn't being looked at, I was just being taken down to the ward and was content on moving. You tend to wake up fairly disorientated. I didn't dream, I just started counting backwards then all of a sudden I'm being moved to another ward.

You have nothing to worry about. But you WILL be hungry before/after the operation (can't eat/drink anything for like 6 hours before you get general anaesthetic)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Pretty much this. Except when I woke up I wasn't being looked at, I was just being taken down to the ward and was content on moving. You tend to wake up fairly disorientated. I didn't dream, I just started counting backwards then all of a sudden I'm being moved to another ward.

You have nothing to worry about. But you WILL be hungry before/after the operation (can't eat/drink anything for like 6 hours before you get general anaesthetic)
    I wasn't hungry at all but they made me eat something. I through it straight back up within minutes!

It takes seconds to kick in, no dreaming when under and then yeah disorientated and generally feel like **** when you wake up.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely fine. You just feel cold pins and needles flowing up your arm and as soon as it reaches your shoulder you are asleep. Then the next thing you know is waking up.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine intravenously, I could feel it moving through my veins, it was pretty quick. Woke up in the ward, a bit woozy - first thing I asked for was a drink of water, my throat was pretty dry from the oxygen. No dreams, though, it all seemed pretty instantaneous. It's not particularly scary, the nurses will put your mind at ease, I'm sure

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get a countdown (well not that I remember). I just remember lying there, they injected me, I felt my eyelids getting really heavy, next thing I know Im waking up in a completely different room, feeling like ****, and struggling to keep my eyes open - felt really drowsy for a good while and then I started to come round properly. I didn't dream while under.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had two in the last year, I was petrified both times but it was ok. It feels weird when they put it into your hand as it makes your arm tingle and then my face started tingling, but that was all I remember. Oh and also a horrible taste in my mouth. When you wake up it feels like you've been asleep for literally a few minutes, well it did for me anyway.

I found waking up the worst bit, I felt like I couldnt breathe and I was panicking. This only happened the second time, think it was a combination of blood and saliva stuck in my throat (oral surgery). Its weird because I could hear/see people around me but I couldnt get my words out or say anything. Doesnt take long to recover though. I was in for day suirgery and they sent me home a few hours later on both ocassions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.