Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are you a member of the National Trust? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are you a member of the National Trust?
    No, and I do not go to National Trust sites
    7.14%
    No, but I do go to National Trust sites
    35.71%
    Yes, I come under a family membership
    28.57%
    Yes, I have my individual membership
    28.57%

ReputationRep:
    So I was wondering how many people are members on this forum. Currently i'm not a member but I come under my family one. I should have my own membership really, its only £22 for people under 25

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...ries_costs.htm

Do you visit trust properties or landscapes?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people, particularly young people, will be.

But yes, I visit National Trust sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't think many people, particularly young people, will be.

But yes, I visit National Trust sites.
    I dunno, this site always surprises me with the amount people are interested in history. I'm sure some people, like me, will have been dragged round by their parents when they were younger. Now i'm interested in history and i'd like to work for the national trust so I was just wondering how many young people do visit their sites.
    Also people don't realise that certain landscapes and beaches etc are maintained by the National Trust and I was tring to bring awareness to that. Personally as a young person without a car I find it difficult to visit trust sites even if I would like to visit them

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm a lifetime member My dad lives in Devon and my mum lives in Cornwall so it comes in handy! There are a few local places I've been to numerous times as they are constantly changing throughout the seasons, so it's definitely been worth it. I can't imagine having to pay to get in every time...

I have the same problem as you when I'm at university with not having a car. Last year there was a free bus service to Tatton Park from Manchester, though, which was really good. I'm not sure which other properties offer something similar, but I bet a few might.

ReputationRep:
    I got a deal at a Homes and Interiors exhibition this year that gave me 18 months membership for £13. That's the Scottish one, if it makes a difference, but I can still visit all of the sites in England too which is ace.

So far since joining I haven't actually visited anywhere though...

ReputationRep:
    We have some local places that are National Trust and the free parking alone would be well worth the price of membership.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have my own individual membership (very embarassingly).

Don't know why I signed up... I have a lot of memories of being bored out of my brains being dragged around these creaky old houses when I was young... although I don't mind the gardens so much. Especially if they have a maze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by /dev/null)
    Yes I have my own individual membership (very embarassingly).

Don't know why I signed up... I have a lot of memories of being bored out of my brains being dragged around these creaky old houses when I was young... although I don't mind the gardens so much. Especially if they have a maze.
    why is that embarassing? be proud
    I used to be bored when dragged around houses but now I quite like it

ReputationRep:
    The National Trust is good in principle, but I can’t support what it has turned into. In my personal experience the people at the Trust will do literally anything to get there way; they will strong-arm landowners into handing over property, usually with some inheritance tax deal, when it would be much better off staying in the family.

Cragside in Northumberland for example; Lord Armstrong granted nothing but a few paintings to the trust but once he died they went to court and got there grubby hands on the whole estate, but that wont be on the Trust website so don’t bother looking.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.