Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..

Im applying to Sheffield Hallam Uni to study politics...and I want accomodation near the city centre....however my course location on the SHU website says 'City and Collegiate'

could I still get accomodation in the city centre??

sfe

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can.. Collegiate is only a 15 min (max) walk from the city centre anyway. I've lived in Sheff for 6 years now, and let me give you some advice; Don't live in any residency owned by Unite. They are unimaginable rip-offs and the "showflat" you see will be well and truly above and beyond the standard of room you actually get. The rooms are like prison cells and both times I've lived in their accomodation I've been royally ripped off when it came to getting back my deposit. The customer service is shocking and they couldn't care less if your fridge is broken, your shower doesn't work, you have water coming in from upstairs or you can't cook in your kitchen. *******s.
    Don't get a property with a letting agency called Thornsett. They too are con-artists and "find" faults in your flat/ house which they then charge shocking penlties for. Kiss goodbye to your deposit too if you sign a contract with them, they are rude, unhelpful and threaten students with legal action if you contest their ridiculous charges.
    Most letting agents will screw you over one way or another, Thornsett are the worst to my knowledge. It's always best to rent privately (where you speak and deal directly with the landlord), these places are usually cheaper, better quality and your problems are sorted out quicker.

My current landlord is private and he's been great (Steve Copley).

Good luck with finding something nice

Feel free to PM me for anything else

ReputationRep:
    Hi well I am currently in Charlotte Court and i share a flat with people who go to collegiate and I go to city campus and its pretty equal distance from each (though slightly closer to town, it all depends on which way you walk) but there are always buses running and you can get them really cheep (though i havnt bothered to work out what you do to get them cheep because i walk to uni) its only a 15 min walk (but im slow so it might be less) to city. its really nice as well, i might post pictures of my room up sometime if that would be helpful to people. I would worry about price and conditions more than distance because like i said, there is bound to be busses if you need any other info let me know (im halfway through my first year at SHU)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both for your responses, u've been most helpful.

Well im applying for Politics at SHU. Im just curious as to how long I will have to wait till i get any offer from SHU. (i have a very strong application btw)

Also applying politics at:

Liverpool Uni
    Aston Uni
    MMU
    NTU

how long dyu think i shud be waiting for replies?? I sent off my ucas application about 2 weeks ago (29th NOV)

I applied to sheffield Hallam on 12 DEC (i decided to change my choice of brunel to SHU)

any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dadtaz786)
    Thank you both for your responses, u've been most helpful.

Well im applying for Politics at SHU. Im just curious as to how long I will have to wait till i get any offer from SHU. (i have a very strong application btw)

Also applying politics at:

Liverpool Uni
    Aston Uni
    MMU
    NTU

how long dyu think i shud be waiting for replies?? I sent off my ucas application about 2 weeks ago (29th NOV)

I applied to sheffield Hallam on 12 DEC (i decided to change my choice of brunel to SHU)

any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful. Thanks..
    depends. i applied to hallam on 23rd sept....and im stilll waiting :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Be patient it took ages for me to get my offer and even then it was for an interview. Shu took longer than any of my other offers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.