Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which offer to accept for actuarial science?? advice needed. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I've just obtained unconditional offers for the following universities in actuarial science (AS): LSE, CASS, Heriot Watt, Manchester and Southampton, and i am currently in a dilemma as to which offer to accept.

Here is my current take on the 5 schools.

LSE is one of the best universities in UK and its graduates are very highly sort after. from what i found out from TSR as well as other websites, LSE is one of the best universities to study AS. furthermore, if after graduation, i choose to work outside of the AS field, a LSE degree would aid me in finding employment in other fields (eg. investment banking). however one major concern is the tuition fees which is 4000pounds more than the other schools(im an international student btw), as well as the exemptions the course has which is missing CT2.

CASS is the pioneer in this AS course and hence it should be very established, i suppose?

Heriot Watt. i have a friend studying AS there. she's all praises for the school, saying the teachers are good, the school has great industry connections and the AS department is renowned in the AS industry. i was thinking she might be biased so im hoping for more opinions. A concern for me is that the school does not seem to be very well known outside the AS industry. In the event that i wish to do something outside AS, im afraid i might lose out to people with degree from better known universities.

Manchester. Course is very new, so not much information about the AS course. however, the school is very well regarded.

Southampton. Dont think im considering it as a option at this moment.

Thanks for reading my long post, and any advice would be appreciated. if you are studying AS or studying in the above mentioned schools please state so as well, 'cause i might wanna ask some questions.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidlcf)
    Hi.

I've just obtained unconditional offers for the following universities in actuarial science (AS): LSE, CASS, Heriot Watt, Manchester and Southampton, and i am currently in a dilemma as to which offer to accept.

LSE is one of the best universities in UK and its graduates are very highly sort after. from what i found out from TSR as well as other websites, LSE is one of the best universities to study AS. furthermore, if after graduation, i choose to work outside of the AS field, a LSE degree would aid me in finding employment in other fields (eg. investment banking). however one major concern is the tuition fees which is 4000pounds more than the other schools(im an international student btw), as well as the exemptions the course has which is missing CT2.

CASS is the pioneer in this AS course and hence it should be very established, i suppose?

Heriot Watt. i have a friend studying AS there. she's all praises for the school, saying the teachers are good, the school has great industry connections and the AS department is renowned in the AS industry. i was thinking she might be biased so im hoping for more opinions. A concern for me is that the school does not seem to be very well known outside the AS industry. In the event that i wish to do something outside AS, im afraid i might lose out to people with degree from better known universities.

Manchester. Course is very new, so not much information about the AS course. however, the school is very well regarded.

Thanks for reading my long post, and any advice would be appreciated. if you are studying AS or studying in the above mentioned schools please state so as well, 'cause i might wanna ask some questions.

Thanks again!
    Wow all 5 offers, congratulations! What are your GCSE/A level grades, if you don't mind? and are you international?

My take would be :

LSE : great reputation outside and inside AS industry, central london but have heard it's antisocial with a lot of cliques.

Cass : great reputation in AS industry and financial, average outside the financial industry. Depressing building and atmosphere IMO

HW : great reputation in AS, good teaching, but all the way up in scotland where it snows a lot

Manchester : great city, great reputation outside AS, not sure about inside AS as its very new. great social life, so I've heard.

Southampton : didn't like it at all, the maths building looked very depressing when I went there.

Overall for me LSE> Cass > HW > Manchester > Southampton

it's up to you what you choose though.

BTW, when did you hear back from HW and LSE?

ReputationRep:
    I would narrow it down to LSE and CASS. If you think the extra £4000 a year is worth a degree from LSE then the choice is clear.

ReputationRep:

Thanks again!
    I'd personally narrow it down to LSE and CASS - although Heriot-Watt is also a surprisingly serious contender (for an equally biased but opposing view, though, I know someone on my course who did AS there; obviously, she left because she's on my course and doesn't speak too fondly of it. That said, she never really wanted to do AS anyway, she went there through Clearing), I wouldn't say it's worth going international for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anita B. Studin)
    Wow all 5 offers, congratulations! What are your GCSE/A level grades, if you don't mind? and are you international?

My take would be :

LSE : great reputation outside and inside AS industry, central london but have heard it's antisocial with a lot of cliques.

Cass : great reputation in AS industry and financial, average outside the financial industry. Depressing building and atmosphere IMO

HW : great reputation in AS, good teaching, but all the way up in scotland where it snows a lot

Manchester : great city, great reputation outside AS, not sure about inside AS as its very new. great social life, so I've heard.

Southampton : didn't like it at all, the maths building looked very depressing when I went there.

Overall for me LSE> Cass > HW > Manchester > Southampton

it's up to you what you choose though.

BTW, when did you hear back from HW and LSE?
    thanks for ur opinion.
    yep, im international. i've got A's for chemistry, physics, mathematics and economics and a C for general paper.

i heard from LSE and HW on 26nov and 16nov respectively.

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Thanks again!

The fact that you have unconditional indicates now you have one choice to make, and its probably harder indeed. I would firstly rule out manchester. why? It is fairly new to the profession and havent heard many pros or cons of its Actuarial science degree at all! To be honest if I recall its quite a new degree there at the university. Sure the maths departent for manchester is certainly top notch, but its hard to make judgement on its route with the actuarial profession yet, so I would personally take that out!

Southampton i am unaware of to be honest, though if you want info on TSR contact Mustard man or ACS, they are both at Southampton and have relevant knowledge on the info of Southampton uni!

Now for the last three i personally think its down to preference indeed! Believe me that these 3 (Cass, LSE, HW) are are top notch in the actuarial field! LSE surely adds reputation with outstanding uni and facilities! The wow factor for this would be if you consider going into another profession such as Investment banking, then it would be very useful indeed, as Cass and Hw generally dont have that to the same extent as LSE! otherwise, Cass and HW are good unis! Downside of Cass would be its not situated well I hear from friends, union is bad and social ife isnt great based in Isllington! Though the cass building, excellent researchers and great links to profession make it one of best unis to offer degree not just in UK but Europe! Heriot watt lastly which im at, first year is something which I find perfect! I dont regret my decision instead of Cass! First of its kind in the uK, boats top lecturers, world class links with jobs, good load of internationals join this course , it is the flagship course of the uni! Plus its situated in a nice area outside Edinburgh , just short bus ride will get you to city centre in 20 mins or so! ( If you have anymore questions regarding HW PM me). If you were to join HW, either 1st or 2nd year would b fine! I applied for 2nd year and changed to 1st at last minute, first year is drag only downside though!

To conclude, all of the 3 unis above are excellent for the degree so dont worry, if you want further info on LSE then ask LSEactuary on TSR, as he does Act sci at LSE obviously :P so you should be fine for answers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the greatest)
    The fact that you have unconditional indicates now you have one choice to make, and its probably harder indeed. I would firstly rule out manchester. why? It is fairly new to the profession and havent heard many pros or cons of its Actuarial science degree at all! To be honest if I recall its quite a new degree there at the university. Sure the maths departent for manchester is certainly top notch, but its hard to make judgement on its route with the actuarial profession yet, so I would personally take that out!

Southampton i am unaware of to be honest, though if you want info on TSR contact Mustard man or ACS, they are both at Southampton and have relevant knowledge on the info of Southampton uni!

Now for the last three i personally think its down to preference indeed! Believe me that these 3 (Cass, LSE, HW) are are top notch in the actuarial field! LSE surely adds reputation with outstanding uni and facilities! The wow factor for this would be if you consider going into another profession such as Investment banking, then it would be very useful indeed, as Cass and Hw generally dont have that to the same extent as LSE! otherwise, Cass and HW are good unis! Downside of Cass would be its not situated well I hear from friends, union is bad and social ife isnt great based in Isllington! Though the cass building, excellent researchers and great links to profession make it one of best unis to offer degree not just in UK but Europe! Heriot watt lastly which im at, first year is something which I find perfect! I dont regret my decision instead of Cass! First of its kind in the uK, boats top lecturers, world class links with jobs, good load of internationals join this course , it is the flagship course of the uni! Plus its situated in a nice area outside Edinburgh , just short bus ride will get you to city centre in 20 mins or so! ( If you have anymore questions regarding HW PM me). If you were to join HW, either 1st or 2nd year would b fine! I applied for 2nd year and changed to 1st at last minute, first year is drag only downside though!

To conclude, all of the 3 unis above are excellent for the degree so dont worry, if you want further info on LSE then ask LSEactuary on TSR, as he does Act sci at LSE obviously :P so you should be fine for answers!
    thanks alot for your opinion and the contacts! i really want some opinions from students studying at lse.

ReputationRep:
    LSE, then Cass. Course at Cass might be better, but LSE is LSE. HW is still way off, both in rep and distance. If you have LSE you'll be mad to turn that down!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_london)
    LSE, then Cass. Course at Cass might be better, but LSE is LSE. HW is still way off, both in rep and distance. If you have LSE you'll be mad to turn that down!!!!
    Does that go for all courses, assuming you don't also have an Oxbridge offer?

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

Thanks again!
    When I was in 6th form I applied to do Actuarial Science and I applied for exactly the same 5 universities as you did.

In the end I withdrew my application for a variety of reason so didn't end up accepting any of my offers however the only piece of advice I will give you is to reject Herriot Watt.

I'm not saying this because of the course, which struck me as being fantastic, and it has a very good reputation. I'm saying this because of the place. I visited there twice and it just struck me as being too isolated and it felt far too much like a large school, rather than a university. I can't really explain why, but when I walked around it just felt like I was in another school. Also, the weather is crap :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.