The Student Room Group

My mum is beating the **** out of my little sister.

I mean hitting, slapping, using books, shoes etc etc.

Basically she has made her sit in my mums room and learn Quran. And then periodically asks her to read some arabic, if she fails she slaps/screams/threatens/beats her up. Every 10 mins or so this is happening. My sister is 11. I could step in like i have in the past but i'll just get slapped and my little sister will get doubly slapped and punished because she has my sympathy.

It's so unfair and wrong. I don't want my wee sister to hate islam because of the ****ed up method my mum uses (even though she insists that the quran says using force to teach a disobedient child is encouraged). I'm an atheist (unbeknowest to my parents) but i don't want my little sister to lose faith without good reason, not over this.

I can't stop my mum. Me and my big sister grew up with the same crazy abuse and mind **** ing. She's to busy being a medical student to care about this, she thinks that we came out okay yadayadayada. But i don't know what to think.

I don't know why i am posting this other than for sympathy/attention because there is nothing that can be done. Some people are abusive by nature and religion is just an excuse to exercise it. Come to think of it my big sister beats my little sister for 'being dumb' or getting questions wrong. Muat be in the genes. It's weird because i love teaching, watching/helping someone progress. Hitting doesn't work.

I'm digressing. My little sister will hate me for not intervening. I hate me. But if you're asian then you might be able to understand the level of control and power your parents have over you. Feel free to reply with a 'cool story bro' :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Cool stor....

How old are you? If you are about to leave for uni then intervene, maybe call social services?
Seriously if you dont do something now your cowardice will stay with you for the rest of your life...
Unless you have good reason not to intervene.

I suggest waiting till you are about to leave for uni then doing something drastic (like calling the police or services). Dont leave your little sister being beaten at home along.
You're a **** brother for letting it happen, and then telling TSR like we can do anything....

That's if it's true, didn't read the thread, but the above two comments suggest you're a troll anyway.
Reply 3
stop your mum and tell her really if she thinks slapping will help
Reply 4
if this is a troll pfft

but i believe not, and so i think you should sit down with your mum after your sister has had the lessons and just tell ur mum another technique to help her do well in her progress, perhaps you can help your sister too.
Reply 5
Doesn't seem too unrealistic to me.

If you're not a troll...

Are you sure that the Qur'an encourages force to disobedient children? Try and find out if this is true; if it isn't, show it to your mum. If it is, then try and get someone of authority to tell her to calm down.
Reply 6
You're just scared.
I know what you mean Asian parents have that control I'm 20 and just the other day got slapped and it's like what the he'll I'm an adult how dare you but answering back and stuff will make it worse I have know learnt to keep my mouth shut and not express any opinions in a few years will be out of here
I'm so sorry with how your younger sister is being treated this is not the way the Quran should be taught maybe suggest to your mum that maybe she could send your sister to the mosque or somewhere else to be taught everyone is different and this cannot be good on her look around and find out about other places where she could go! Sorry can't be if more help!!
Reply 8
I'm asian but luckily I didn't get beats like that when learning qu'ran (well not excessively).
Reply 9
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
You're a **** brother for letting it happen, and then telling TSR like we can do anything....

That's if it's true, didn't read the thread, but the above two comments suggest you're a troll anyway.

I'm a girl.

@everyone else - i'm not a troll. There's a million and one better things to troll about than my own mother. Why would someone write a long story about something that is not funny and cannot generate a lolish response?
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous

I know what you mean Asian parents have that control I'm 20 and just the other day got slapped and it's like what the he'll I'm an adult how dare you but answering back and stuff will make it worse I have know learnt to keep my mouth shut and not express any opinions in a few years will be out of here
I'm so sorry with how your younger sister is being treated this is not the way the Quran should be taught maybe suggest to your mum that maybe she could send your sister to the mosque or somewhere else to be taught everyone is different and this cannot be good on her look around and find out about other places where she could go! Sorry can't be if more help!!

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it :console:
Reply 11
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it :console:

agreed with above, asian parents..just don't know how they're like until you've grown up with them yourself! i'm sorry to hear that, but i agree that there's nothing you can do except pray that your sister is ok and if she needs to talk to you, make sure you are there for comfort! *hugs* :smile:
People suffer abuse without saying anything every day and sometimes you just want to talk about it because changing the situation doesn't seem a viable option to you at the time.
Calling troll doesn't help anyone, even if it is a troll. The responses don't exactly help instil confidence in people who are in that situation. This website is one of the absolute worst for not taking people seriously when they are asking for a listening ear that they may not be able to get anywhere else and I think that's appalling.

Op, I don't know what to suggest. Everything logical says report your parents but you and me both know that it will either lead to a more severe beating or your sister being put in foster care alone while you go off to university.

You have to really look at the situation and decide what you think is best, I'd talk to your sister about what she wants to do because she's obviously the one most affected by all of this.
Try to imagine 20 years in the future for all of the different outcomes - I find that helpful when trying to make important decisions because it forces you to separate your current feelings and look at the long term effects.

Basically she has made her sit in my mums room and learn Quran. And then periodically asks her to read some arabic, if she fails she slaps/screams/threatens/beats her up. Every 10 mins or so this is happening. My sister is 11. I could step in like i have in the past but i'll just get slapped and my little sister will get doubly slapped and punished because she has my sympathy.

It's so unfair and wrong. I don't want my wee sister to hate islam because of the ****ed up method my mum uses (even though she insists that the quran says using force to teach a disobedient child is encouraged). I'm an atheist (unbeknowest to my parents) but i don't want my little sister to lose faith without good reason, not over this.

I can't stop my mum. Me and my big sister grew up with the same crazy abuse and mind **** ing. She's to busy being a medical student to care about this, she thinks that we came out okay yadayadayada. But i don't know what to think.

I don't know why i am posting this other than for sympathy/attention because there is nothing that can be done. Some people are abusive by nature and religion is just an excuse to exercise it. Come to think of it my big sister beats my little sister for 'being dumb' or getting questions wrong. Muat be in the genes. It's weird because i love teaching, watching/helping someone progress. Hitting doesn't work.

Hey You Are the Best Big Sister in the world right now to your little sister. I am A very strong Christian. I go to A black african church in the north west. In my opinion the muslim/islam faith is manmade. a distraction to lead away from the true god, our Lord Jesus. please look into christianity and tell me what you think of it. Anyway your Mum should not be hitting your sister. you did the right thing to step in but please if you think doing that may harm you then try to find another way around it. I wish in some way i can help you. please get back in touch. i'm thinking of you and your sister in this hard time and hoping for you both it will improve.

OTE]
How dare people on here call you a troll. You are totally believable. I'm not muslim, but I am a teacher with a strong interest in psychology, and I can well believe that your mum might do this - sick though it is. I know what you mean about thinking that anything you do will only make things worse - but you have to feel like you've tried something! I'm sad to say this, but I think your older sister has become accustomed to institutional bullying in your household, and has therefore become part of the system. This does, however, reflect well on you, because you've not done this. You've not had your mind twisted into thinking that it's ok to beat a little girl. Your post on here could be the start of a process that ends with your sister being saved - IF YOU TAKE ACTION! But if you don't, and the abuse continues - then you run the risk of your little sister turning out the same as your older sister.

You should secretly tell somebody at your sister's school. All schools have a person designated to deal with child protection issues. In primary schools, this is almost always the headteacher. Ring them up, and make an appointment to see them - don't tell them all the details over the phone. If you report to the headteacher you must firstly write down the details. Write down everything that has happened, quote your mother in her tirades. Quote your sister, though you MUSTN'T at all costs ask her any 'leading questions' such as 'how does this make you feel', or 'I bet you don't like that, do you?'. This is really important. Just let her tell you things as she likes. DO NOT tell her that you're going to go into her school, though. The designated child protection person will keep all information strictly confidential, unless they think they have to tell authorities. but most likely, they will simply keep a closer eye on your sister, and if anyone makes any further statements with regards to her, then things will be taken further. Your mum will not be informed that you have made contact.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15

I'm digressing. My little sister will hate me for not intervening. I hate me. But if you're asian then you might be able to understand the level of control and power your parents have over you. Feel free to reply with a 'cool story bro' :redface:

It will only make her stronger....... if you're really worried, phone childline/police.....
or contact the jeremy kyle show for a possible idea for their next show...
Reply 16
If what you say is real, I'd report her. It's child abuse and no religious reasonings can justify it.
Run away.
Reply 18
Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan
How dare people on here call you a troll. You are totally believable. I'm not muslim, but I am a teacher with a strong interest in psychology, and I can well believe that your mum might do this - sick though it is. I know what you mean about thinking that anything you do will only make things worse - but you have to feel like you've tried something! I'm sad to say this, but I think your older sister has become accustomed to institutional bullying in your household, and has therefore become part of the system. This does, however, reflect well on you, because you've not done this. You've not had your mind twisted into thinking that it's ok to beat a little girl. Your post on here could be the start of a process that ends with your sister being saved - IF YOU TAKE ACTION! But if you don't, and the abuse continues - then you run the risk of your little sister turning out the same as your older sister.

You should secretly tell somebody at your sister's school. All schools have a person designated to deal with child protection issues. In primary schools, this is almost always the headteacher. Ring them up, and make an appointment to see them - don't tell them all the details over the phone. If you report to the headteacher you must firstly write down the details. Write down everything that has happened, quote your mother in her tirades. Quote your sister, though you MUSTN'T at all costs ask her any 'leading questions' such as 'how does this make you feel', or 'I bet you don't like that, do you?'. This is really important. Just let her tell you things as she likes. DO NOT tell her that you're going to go into her school, though. The designated child protection person will keep all information strictly confidential, unless they think they have to tell authorities. but most likely, they will simply keep a closer eye on your sister, and if anyone makes any further statements with regards to her, then things will be taken further. Your mum will not be informed that you have made contact.

I totally agree with this. I'm a Christian and not a Muslim, but my parents are quite strict and still have a lot of control over me, but that's part of mutual respect. Beatings cannot be justified by anything, especially religion!

If you let it as it is your sister will suffer even more and maybe even become the same as your sister and mother believing this is the right thing to do. You should speak to your sister and ask what she really thinks about all this, explaining that no punishment will follow regardless of what she will tell you. And if you are worried that she will lose faith, explain that in realiy God is kind and tolerant and that she shouldn't be afraid of him.

You don't want to ruin her life by sending her into foster care but I think you should try and get a religious person to speak to your mother and discourage her from doing what she is doing. I don't believe that any religion can encourage what she is doing. GOOD LUCK with this, keep strong :console:
hey there
*hugs*
theres not much advise i can give u, but have u actually tried to talk to ur mum? or talk to ur sister, im sure she will understand and wont hate u xxxx if stuff goes outta hand, call the police, call social services. i know its hard to do it to ur own family, but sometimes its the best thing to do
hope this helps just in the slightest
hope u can resolve this situation xxx *hugs* again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending