Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody. I am currently a AS Level student studying
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    Critical Thinking

my gcses were average [ i got 6a's and 4'bs ^^ ] and i need some help on what to do in uni. I am definately going to drop critical thinking and then this is were i need the help. I dont know what career i want to do with my subjects i could try to go for dentistry optometry or even medcine ( if i applied my self to the fullest ) and then i would drop physics. Or i could go for something such as computer science, or chemical engeneering or such so i would drop biology. The problem is i dont really know what i want to do in the future. Of course i want to make money and have a decent paid job but i dont want to be doing something im not going to enjoy at all.. ive always had a love for computers.. however i know that to do computer science youl face a lot of competition with people that have further maths etc.. can anyone please guide me in the right direction if you have done any of these degrees at uni and tell me if you would reccomend it or not!
    Thanks in advance
    Mike =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikey123LCFC)
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    Critical Thinking

my gcses were average [ i got 6a's and 4'bs ^^ ] and i need some help on what to do in uni. I am definately going to drop critical thinking and then this is were i need the help. I dont know what career i want to do with my subjects i could try to go for dentistry optometry or even medcine ( if i applied my self to the fullest ) and then i would drop physics. Or i could go for something such as computer science, or chemical engeneering or such so i would drop biology. The problem is i dont really know what i want to do in the future. Of course i want to make money and have a decent paid job but i dont want to be doing something im not going to enjoy at all.. ive always had a love for computers.. however i know that to do computer science youl face a lot of competition with people that have further maths etc.. can anyone please guide me in the right direction if you have done any of these degrees at uni and tell me if you would reccomend it or not!
    Thanks in advance
    Mike =)
    Medicine just sayin'
    do it it'll be great :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeographyEllie)
    Medicine just sayin'
    do it it'll be great :P
    lol why are you thinking of / are doing medcine?

ReputationRep:
    lol why are you thinking of / are doing medcine?
    was gonna but decided on geophysics instead :/
    my mum does it and it's really rewarding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeographyEllie)
    was gonna but decided on geophysics instead :/
    my mum does it and it's really rewarding
    hmm.. im not sure i meen ive heard its pretty stressfull..but i just want to something i enjoy i guess! whats geophysics like?

ReputationRep:
    hmm.. im not sure i meen ive heard its pretty stressfull..but i just want to something i enjoy i guess! whats geophysics like?
    dunno, im not there yet but it is my drream job

ReputationRep:
    you have time to think, but w/e you apply for , apply yourself fully to get the highest grades possible at AS level, that keeps all your options open next year when you do have to decide (as you will be able to meet all the entry requirements and get really good predicted grades).
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    @@@

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Maths
    Physics
    Critical Thinking

Thanks in advance
    Mike =)
    Have you gained any work experience? That might help you to decide which one is suitable for you. I don't know much about the others so shan't offer an opinion, but will say you could drop any of those subjects and still be suitable for optometry - it asks for two sciences, but doesn't really specify which ones, there's an element of all of them.

If you want to discuss optometry further, feel free to ask questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Have you gained any work experience? That might help you to decide which one is suitable for you. I don't know much about the others so shan't offer an opinion, but will say you could drop any of those subjects and still be suitable for optometry - it asks for two sciences, but doesn't really specify which ones, there's an element of all of them.

If you want to discuss optometry further, feel free to ask questions.
    Well ive got some work experience working in pharmacy the pharmacy departmant in a hospital but it was only for a week, i just want to make sure that their are jobs in whatever i choose, so i meen with all this laser eye treatment and vision correction etc, will their still be jobs for optometry? i meen would unis prefer bio or physics in addition to chem and maths cuz i meen physics is all about lenses and stuff but bio is about the body and nerves in the eye and that so im guessing any would do!
    Thanks for your advice =)

ReputationRep:
    Well ive got some work experience working in pharmacy the pharmacy departmant in a hospital but it was only for a week, i just want to make sure that their are jobs in whatever i choose, so i meen with all this laser eye treatment and vision correction etc, will their still be jobs for optometry? i meen would unis prefer bio or physics in addition to chem and maths cuz i meen physics is all about lenses and stuff but bio is about the body and nerves in the eye and that so im guessing any would do!
    Thanks for your advice =)
    Oh, definitely - even with laser treatments, a lot of people are still very wary and a lot can't have them corrected surgically (for example, mine changes too quickly for it to be worth it.) At any rate, optometrists are involved in the laser process as well.

Really, there is no preference between the two - knowledge of biology isn't assumed, and there's no physics in optometry you can't do with maths. I have neither, and am doing perfectly fine.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, definitely - even with laser treatments, a lot of people are still very wary and a lot can't have them corrected surgically (for example, mine changes too quickly for it to be worth it.) At any rate, optometrists are involved in the laser process as well.

Really, there is no preference between the two - knowledge of biology isn't assumed, and there's no physics in optometry you can't do with maths. I have neither, and am doing perfectly fine.
    Oo cool. Im guessing your a optometry student? if you dont mind me asking what were ur gcses and a levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercal35)
    you have time to think, but w/e you apply for , apply yourself fully to get the highest grades possible at AS level, that keeps all your options open next year when you do have to decide (as you will be able to meet all the entry requirements and get really good predicted grades).
    good luck!
    Thanks for the advice but i just cant seem to get the motivation to apply my self when it comes to revising early! i always seem to do it when i actually need to e.g last minute.. have you got any tips motivation wise?
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Oo cool. Im guessing your a optometry student? if you dont mind me asking what were ur gcses and a levels?
    I am, yes ... and of course, here they are:

GCSEs
    A*: English literature;
    A: English language, science (double), maths, statistics, food technology, history;
    B: Business studies, ICT (short/half), French;
    C: Pottery.

A-levels
    A: History, maths;
    B: further maths.

ReputationRep:
    I am, yes ... and of course, here they are:

GCSEs
    A*: English literature;
    A: English language, science (double), maths, statistics, food technology, history;
    B: Business studies, ICT (short/half), French;
    C: Pottery.

A-levels
    A: History, maths;
    B: further maths.
    Wow. Further maths must have been tough. im just worried my gcses grades will effect me when it comes to competition with other students, but i guess i will have to make up with good extra curricular activites and good a levels. Optometry is something i would definately consider.. i mean as long as theirs a good amount of work to do and the work you do isnt repetitve and its got a decent pay then im more than happy to do it xD
    but yeah thanks 4 the help, have you got any tips on motivation, lol sometimes i just feel like i cba to work until the last minute when i know i have to.. Thanks again =)

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Further maths must have been tough. im just worried my gcses grades will effect me when it comes to competition with other students, but i guess i will have to make up with good extra curricular activites and good a levels. Optometry is something i would definately consider.. i mean as long as theirs a good amount of work to do and the work you do isnt repetitve and its got a decent pay then im more than happy to do it xD
    but yeah thanks 4 the help, have you got any tips on motivation, lol sometimes i just feel like i cba to work until the last minute when i know i have to.. Thanks again =)
    If it's something you're interested in, try and get some shadowing in there - sure qualified optometrists are far more useful than I.

I wouldn't worry about GCSE grades - just get good A-levels and some relevant experience/knowledge to discuss in the PS.

Also, not much for motivation; my main motivation is knowing where it's all going. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    If it's something you're interested in, try and get some shadowing in there - sure qualified optometrists are far more useful than I.

I wouldn't worry about GCSE grades - just get good A-levels and some relevant experience/knowledge to discuss in the PS.

Also, not much for motivation; my main motivation is knowing where it's all going. Sorry.
    Ok, thanks a lot for your help! =)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice but i just cant seem to get the motivation to apply my self when it comes to revising early! i always seem to do it when i actually need to e.g last minute.. have you got any tips motivation wise?
    Thanks again!
    yepp , all i can say is, most people can't see oppurtunity because it's hidden in a cloak named hard work. work hard and so many doors will open for you.

set yourself small goals and concentrate on finishing them, i.e today i wanna finish the 2008 and 2009 papers. and keep an eye on your destination i.e going to a great uni, doing the degree you want too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.