Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello TSR

My first post here, and I am in desperately in need of finding a suitable University for my grades.

I want to study International Relations, but when trying to compare A levels to Swedish grades only gives me headache.
    I got roughly 90% of maximum what you can get in sweden (18.0, if any swede's here).

I am pretty confident in my personal statement as I am with my references, what do you reckon my chances are for Universities as Edinburgh/st.Andrews?

I would love some help finding a well recognized University, where my chances is pretty big getting accepted.

Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    I have also applied for International Relations and am from Germany, so I was very much in the same situation as you were. (You are applying for an UG course, right?)

Have you checked these links?
    Edinburgh: http://www.hss.ed.ac.uk/Undergraduat....htm#EurSweden

and

St.Andrews: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/admissio...issionsmap/#UG

these links give you the formal requirements... about chances? How about wishing on a star? That's what I'm doing...

However keep in mind that there are more Universities than just Edinburgh and St.Andrews and you have five choices on your UCAS form (I shouldn't have mentioned that, should I? One applicant less is one less applicant I have to compete against ;-) )

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to study in the UK or US?

Anyway, depends on what you are after...prestige or/and specialization possibilities? In the UK, the most renowned IR universitites would be Oxbridge / LSE, followed by Kings, St.Andrews, Aberystwyth e.g.

In the US you have Georgetown, SAIS and many more heh.

ReputationRep:
    I'd check the uni requirements. Edinburgh, St Andrews, Oxford.
    I believe 18 is MVG, though, so you should be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your help, very appreciated!

Well my goal is UK and it is indeed for UG. Yes 18 is almost MVG, however I know a couples of persons who both got denied for both better and worse grades.

I decided to apply for both Edinburgh and St. Andrews now, but what I really need help with is finding the last 3 remaining spots, good school which is fairly easy to get accepted to, whatever that means,

Thanks again for all the answers

Dorre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorre)

Well my goal is UK and it is indeed for UG. Yes 18 is almost MVG, however I know a couples of persons who both got denied for both better and worse grades.

I decided to apply for both Edinburgh and St. Andrews now, but what I really need help with is finding the last 3 remaining spots, good school which is fairly easy to get accepted to, whatever that means,

Dorre
    If you're ok being a bit remote I would definitely add Aberystwyth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielj315)
    If you're ok being a bit remote I would definitely add Aberystwyth!

Cheers! Exactly the kind of options I want

ReputationRep:
    Each Uni will have their own opinions on what Swedish grades translate as. The best way of doing it would be to write to each one you're interested in, but it's a bit close to the deadline. Can I recommend Durham?

https://www.dur.ac.uk/sgia/teaching/...rorganisation/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorre)
    Hello TSR

My first post here, and I am in desperately in need of finding a suitable University for my grades.

I want to study International Relations, but when trying to compare A levels to Swedish grades only gives me headache.
    I got roughly 90% of maximum what you can get in sweden (18.0, if any swede's here).

I am pretty confident in my personal statement as I am with my references, what do you reckon my chances are for Universities as Edinburgh/st.Andrews?

I would love some help finding a well recognized University, where my chances is pretty big getting accepted.

Thank you so much

Hej kompis!

Better to keep it in english here on tsr though if you want me to write in Swedish just tell me so

Personally I've applied for a really competitive course (medicine) so my chances are slim but you might have bigger chance. I know that Edinburgh and St Andrews recognizes the Swedish grades (VG/MVGetc) since they go on subjects not like our snittbetyg... What I did when applying was calling them about it and sometimes they wanted me to send the transcripts via email to them. You have to take the IELTS to be able to apply (though you can do it later and send ur score after application, though ask about it cuz Edinburgh didn't want me to send later). You have to at least get a score of 6.5 I think or only 5.5, check it on each website. Since u have five choices I think u should apply for all of them and choose some that might be "safer" choices and some, like Edinburgh, that might be harder to get in to..
    So this is what u do:

1. call the international admission offices for each uni and ask what their requirements are for Swedish applicants for the course u want to study
    2. Send them you transcripts if they ask for it
    3. do the IELTS
    4. write a kick-ass personal statement (since it is International Relations maybe some work experience within some organizations might be good, like Red Cross or UNICEF? ask the admissions about that too!)

Good Luck, if u have any questions u can message me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorre)

Dorre
    Yeah that is why I think the personal statement is important! My teacher went to Aberdeen and recommends it warmly! I am guessing that u want to stick to Scottish unis especially now that the fees are gonna be even higher than before! So yeah, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee I think also is good. Though I don't know if they have Interntional Relations..I think they probably would but check em out anyway and see what u think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MizzCupcakes)
    Yeah that is why I think the personal statement is important! My teacher went to Aberdeen and recommends it warmly! I am guessing that u want to stick to Scottish unis especially now that the fees are gonna be even higher than before! So yeah, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Dundee I think also is good. Though I don't know if they have Interntional Relations..I think they probably would but check em out anyway and see what u think.
    I'm studying PIR at Aberdeen right now - on the whole it's pretty good

St Andrews has a bigger IR Dept and is probably the better choice for pure academics, Edinburgh has a good reputation but it's not so higher regarded by my Lecturers for IR at least.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys again for all the response

I got a pretty good idea where I am going to apply now, unless something better shows up,
    Good tip, calling the Admission Offices, will do tomorrow!

I am rather pleased with both my Personal Statement, References, just have to finish my IELTS then quickly, should be no problem though.

Got some volunteer work in Africa to put on my statement, so hopefully that will be enough.

Sincerely
    Dorre

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.