Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Telly in your room? Yay or nay? Watch

• View Poll Results: Telly in your room?
    Yay
    59.46%
    Nay
    40.54%

ReputationRep:
    Do you have or want to have a telly in your room?

If yes, do you really use it, or is it just standing there almost like a ''decoration''?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a telly full stop. We're debating getting a projector for the living room but won't ever have a tv in the bedroom. We don't even watch shows on the laptop unless one of us isn't well.

ReputationRep:
    A laptop amounts to the same thing. I got a tv in 2nd year because we had a spare at home. I would not buy one just to take.

ReputationRep:
    I had one but it was my second computer monitor, I did use it to watch TV in the morning/evening. Have two in my room this year but can't get a signal which is annoying!

ReputationRep:
    I had one in my room when I lived in halls. Now it's in the sitting room. It's nice to be able to watch some shows with my flatmate, but we don't really watch TV all that much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, for the 360. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    In the age of online TV catchup services, a conventional television is redundant for most students unless coupled with a games console. And even then, I'd question how much it's going to be used - and whether it's worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I brought my ps3 and TV to uni, i found the ps3 was awesome to have as we have a communal TV so people came round for games sessions, a TV on its own probably isnt worth it but it can be nice to just chill in your room with a TV session occasionally

ReputationRep:
    I have one in my room, i barely use it though.
    I already have a laptop where i watch most of the shows i like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    In the age of online TV catchup services, a conventional television is redundant for most students unless coupled with a games console. And even then, I'd question how much it's going to be used - and whether it's worth the hassle.
    I dunno, I thought this but it's so nice to be able to pop the TV on around teatime and stick Eggheads or the News on or just anything really - something that I wouldn't really watch on the laptop as I'd be doing other things on it.

I'm the only one in my flat (out of 8) who has one though, and the others don't really seem to care, I only brought it for my Xbox but have found it very nice to have just to have it on and watch those shows that I may not have time to catch up with.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's standard to share the cost of a big TV when you move into a house but not really in halls. Even then it's mostly used for gaming or movie times in my experience.

Otherwise, a projector's a pretty sweet thing to have.

ReputationRep:
    I find mine is essential but then again, I play 360 a lot so yeah. I don't use it for any other purpose apart from gaming and the odd DVD once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    I barely use it tbh. It's nice to turn it on from time to time to watch the news I guess.
    hmmm maybe most of the times I set it on some music channel with 20 min sleep timer and it helps me to get asleep.

ReputationRep:
    I have a TV in my room, which I use as my PC monitor and have connected to a DVD player. It isn't connected to an aerial though, as you cannot get a signal here.

It gets used a few times a week to watch DVDs and another few times as a PC monitor, so I am glad I have it with me.

I don't know anyone here who has a TV in their room that is actually a TV/connected to an aerial though. With things like iPlayer, 4oD etc, there isn't much need.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not worth paying the licence fee and going to all the faff of moving it.
    If I could afford to maintain a video game habit, I would get one for that though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have a TV in my room which I use quite often to watch shows like "The Apprentice" and "University Challenge". I also use it to play my XBOX 360 whenever I'm not revising or whenver I've finished my revision/assignments.

ReputationRep:
    Before I returned home on leave, I had one which was fine when it worked but I had to use a portable aerial with it which was quite temperamental and did not always pick up a digital signal so I often had to watch things on my laptop where possible anyway.

I did not bother getting a license as I doubt much action could be taken against you if you were accused of not having one provided you did not let the inspectors into your property. The talk of 'detector vans' is obvious an attempt to deter people from not getting a license rather than a serious attempt at preventing people from dodging it. If they operated detector vans, the money they got back in fines would hardly be likely to cover the expensive service of sending vans packed with complicated equipment everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I've not got a tv when I first moved into halls I thought miss it but I actually prefer watching stuff on iplayer, 4od etc as I watch stuff when it suits me and there's less adverts! I feel like I get more work done too since im not tempted to stop working just because a certain tv programme is coming on.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.