Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Less than 2 months for it.
    How is prepartion going?

ReputationRep:
    Not bad. Started past papers. Finding that the Centres of Mass questions usually can guarantee easy marks if youre confident with the past questions as they rarely change much year on year. Chapter 4 questions usually also arent too bad, format doesnt change much year on year. Just some tricky inequalities can come up that you need to form/prove.

Work Energy principle type questions and Moments confuse me the most. With moments I get confused as to where the reaction force acts (in one direction/at two directions , an angle etc) when something is touching the floor or a wall! Aside from that its not TOO bad.

ReputationRep:
    The hardest bit about M2 was the centre of mass questions. If you can do those for any shape they throw at you (whatever oddly shaped earing/painting they decide to have hanging off a wall this year :p:), you can breeze through M2 quite easily. I'm not a gifted mathematician, but managed to score 97/100 in M2 just because the questions were always similar year on year.

Work Energy questions from what I remember always had the same sort of structure anyway. If you know your equations, go back to first principles and draw out a diagram, add in the direction of all your forces, resolve the forces and then solve the question - they too can be quite easy marks to pick up once you've solved a few back to back.

Good Luck guys! I secretly miss doing M2 questions! :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    The hardest bit about M2 was the centre of mass questions. If you can do those for any shape they throw at you (whatever oddly shaped earing/painting they decide to have hanging off a wall this year :p:), you can breeze through M2 quite easily. I'm not a gifted mathematician, but managed to score 97/100 in M2 just because the questions were always similar year on year.

Work Energy questions from what I remember always had the same sort of structure anyway. If you know your equations, go back to first principles and draw out a diagram, add in the direction of all your forces, resolve the forces and then solve the question - they too can be quite easy marks to pick up once you've solved a few back to back.

Good Luck guys! I secretly miss doing M2 questions! :ninja:
    thanks

Do some M2 papers in your free time.

ReputationRep:
    >.< the work energy principle thingy confuses me so much xD so i'm planning to go through that chapter again, and a bit more on the last chapter as a got confused with the whole hinge/ladder questions
    Hopefully i can attempt some past papers after that xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ragaa)
    thanks

Do some M2 papers in your free time.
    I don't miss is that much! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Keep practising the pastpapers, and the review exercises in the book too.
    Ill be doing them as well.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to do question 18 on ex 3C?
    the solution on the disc doesn't show up for me >.>

So far i have that there is
    no change in kinetic energy,
    the PE lost is 40g(xsin 25 - 25sin 6)
    work done against resistances = 18 (40 + x)
    x is the distance down the slope

I tried making them equal to each other and solving (that's how i did question 17 and it seemed to have worked) but i don't get the right answer
    the answer is 11.8m

I looked at the example on page 74 but it didn't seem to help me much

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to o a thorough revision tomorrow and then start on the papers.

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy..
    I'm doing M2 in Jan too..
    Havent started centre of mass chapter but completed all others

(Original post by ragaa)
    I'm planning to o a thorough revision tomorrow and then start on the papers.
    Let's keep this thread alive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    Heyyy..
    I'm doing M2 in Jan too..
    Havent started centre of mass chapter but completed all others

Let's keep this thread alive
    yeah we should.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, need to start revising for this, will do after tomorrow (i.e after C3 revision). I'm not too bad with anything besides the statics chapter. However, I seem to have completely forgotten the work energy principle chapter, and well forming those weird inequalities are annoying.

The most annoying thing is when they ask you to work out the velocity of something, and don't tell you that it's in terms of u or v or whatever, so you sit there for half an hour trying to work it out with too little information >.> .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atofu)
    does anyone know how to do question 18 on ex 3C?
    the solution on the disc doesn't show up for me >.>

So far i have that there is
    no change in kinetic energy,
    the PE lost is 40g(xsin 25 - 25sin 6)
    work done against resistances = 18 (40 + x)
    x is the distance down the slope

I tried making them equal to each other and solving (that's how i did question 17 and it seemed to have worked) but i don't get the right answer
    the answer is 11.8m

I looked at the example on page 74 but it didn't seem to help me much
    When I made them equal to each other it did come out as 11.8 - Maybe it was your algebra

18(40 + x) = 40g(xsin25 - 25sin6)

18(40) + 40g(25sin6) = x(40gsin25 - 18)

x = [18(40) + 40g(25sin6)] / [(40gsin25 - 18)] = 11.8 (3 s.f)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by partycooper)
    When I made them equal to each other it did come out as 11.8 - Maybe it was your algebra

18(40 + x) = 40g(xsin25 - 25sin6)

18(40) + 40g(25sin6) = x(40gsin25 - 18)

x = [18(40) + 40g(25sin6)] / [(40gsin25 - 18)] = 11.8 (3 s.f)
    ah yes got the right answer now xD thanks!
    >.> made a mistake with the positive/negative signs when i rearranged hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Still haven't started revision on this despite last seeing it 6 months ago. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Who else needs 90+ in this? ><

ReputationRep:
    I need

ReputationRep:
    What are you using for revision material? I just purchased a CGP book which contains C3,C4,S2 and M2, which I've just about finished (has two sample papers for each module as well). After that it's just some notes then past papers I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I need 90 plus badly too.

ReputationRep:
    Gna start pastpapers, finished the book. Just xam style paper left.
    how abt u guys?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.