The Student Room Group

Edexcel M2 - 28/01/11

Scroll to see replies

will we get penalised if we dont give answers to a certain no. of significant figures?
Hmm, I found the June '02 paper, but the edexcel website says that the mathematics thing was introduced in 2004... does this mean these '02 papers are legacy and I should stay clear of them?
Reply 82
Original post by Arsey
I haven't taught it for 6/7 years or so. I am thinking of giving myself an A2 FM group next year as I am getting rusty.

If your M1 knowledge is sound, M2 really isn't that much more difficult.

On the CoM questions, check carefully it isn't a shape made from rods rather than a solid. Also practise the toppling/hanging parts, they always seem to cause the most problems (is toppling on M2?)

Toppling is still in M2 - but it is lightly covered.
There's a Solomon paper with a toppling question - that's the nearest I've seen
According to the spec we need to be able to do centres of mass questions where the lamina may be free to rotate about a horizontal axis.... any past paper questions or help with this?
Reply 84
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
will we get penalised if we dont give answers to a certain no. of significant figures?

never go beyond 3sf if the answer involves g
omg jan 04 7 d !!

can someone explain this to me

how are they taking moments like this??

isn't it force x perpendicular distance, argh

is there an easier method

centre of mass question btw
Reply 86
They have taken moments about O and it is force x perpendicular distance.

The weight of the lamina (10mg) acts at point G (centre of mass) which is at a distance 2.25a from AD. As O is at a distance 2.5a from AD, the perpendicular distance is a/4

So 10mg(a/4) = P(2a)
(force P acts horizontally, in line with CD, so the perpendicular distance is 2a)

therefore P= 10mga/8a
= 5/4(mg) as required

as for an easier way, drawing new diagrams helps, and read the questions for which direction the force acts etc. GL everyone for tomorrow!
Good Luck Everyone!!!! :biggrin: Only 3 and a half hours left!!!!
Reply 88
are there anybody doimg M2 today?
Reply 89
Original post by 6761
are there anybody doimg M2 today?

Done and dusted! :biggrin:
Reply 90
Are there anybody have the mark scheme for this paper?
Reply 91
Original post by Ajka

I would delete your post, your not supposed to discuss the exam till 12pm.
Reply 92
People no discussion before 12 am.
Reply 93
Good luck on the result - and remember, no discussion for a while (message at the top of the thread...)
Reply 94
when can we discuss?
Reply 95
Original post by 6761
when can we discuss?

According to this, you have to wait until "12:00 AM - Midnight (GMT)" for a morning exam.
Does anyone have the solutions?
Okay here are my answers to M2, I'm not entirely sure on these answers so don't take my word for it.

1. a) v = 12
b) a = 4/45 = 0.0889

2. a) 29 J

3. a) t^4 - 6t^2 + 8
b)1/5 t^5 - 2t3 + 8t
c) t = 2, t = 1.41 = root 2

4 a) couldn't do it
b) 10.24

5 a) 11, 11
b) 24

Not sure about question 6, could someone confirm if this is right?
6 a) .. prove
b) 2.03
c) v = 3i + (5-9.8)t
d) 0.204
e) 3root2

7. mew = 0.514

8 a) prove m = 4
b) v = 2/9 therefore moving towards the wall.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 98
OK here's from what I can remember:

Centre of mass Q : 12.3 and 12.9 and the angle was 28
Last Q: the velocity you got was 2/9 which was in the positive direction and hence it hit the wall again.
For the vlocity question where the particle was 10 m above the cliff I was 2.03s and 0.2 seconds for the time Q's and got 3root2 as the value of v (Obviously wrote that as decimals which was 4. something)
For the other projectile Q I got t as root4 and root2 (Again wrote these as decimal)
For the Q where the box was dragged from A to B I remember putting down 8400 or something like that and the speed as 10 ms-1 (Rounded to 2 sf) when it passed b.
I think I got the KE energy one wrong though as I got 3 J but I worked out KE lost which you weren't meant to :facepalm:
For the moments one and the lowest value of u I got 0.51.
Reply 99
Original post by Arsey
never go beyond 3sf if the answer involves g

Arsey to the rescue with the solutions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending