Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The girlfriend's rather large new dog jumped on her whilst on a walk. As this happened, she dropped her phone and it smacked the curb and cracked on the pavement. Whilst the initial shock is "****!", from the quotes I've received to get it fixed, it's even more of a '****ING ****!".

Has anyone attempted to fix a broken / cracked / smashed iPhone 3G screen before? If so, did it go well and can you tell the difference? For the price of £150 (Vodafone) or £180 (Apple) just to get it fixed, frankly, I'd rather have a go myself or buy her a 4G.

Cheers.

EDIT: Fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malcmcmul)
    The girlfriend's rather large new dog jumped on her whilst on a walk. As this happened, she dropped her phone and it smacked the curb and cracked on the pavement. Whilst the initial shock is "****!", from the quotes I've received to get it fixed, it's even more of a '****ING ****!".

Has anyone attempted to fix a broken / cracked / smashed iPhone 3G screen before? If so, did it go well and can you tell the difference? For the price of £150 (Vodafone) or £180 (Apple) just to get it fixed, frankly, I'd rather have a go myself or buy her a 4G.

Cheers.

I believe Apple glues their screen to the glass on top of it (unlike many other companies who leave them separate) which means you will need a new screen, not just a new glass. Basically means it'll be pretty hard to fix yourself...

iPhone 4 has the same method of construction on the screen. (And a glass at the back, meaning she'll be twice as likely to get a crack in the future).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malcmcmul)

Cheers.

Out of interest, how did you fix it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've seen videos of this, doesn't look to hard.
    It's true that it's glued, but you can soften the glue with a heat gun/ hair dryer enough to pull the old glass off without damaging the screen.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.