Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Marketing/advertising! UPDATE - IMAGES ADDED Watch

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: Long Story short, I'm shovelling driveways for a small fee. Here is the leaflet I intend to hand out as a secondary form of marketing (the main aim is to go to people's houses and cold call, effectively). Here is the leaflet, any tips, ideas or criticisms please? After the bottom of the image, there is just one more line saying merry christmas

ORIGINAL POST: Okay, basically, I have no idea where this thread should go, so I'm just leaving it in General.

Basically, I want to shovel peoples driveways and then get paid for it. I live in a middle class area, with mostly old people, and so theres a huge market for it. This winter is predicted to be the coldest winter on record by some, and so that = snow. Snow is a hazard when leaving your house, and looks bad/discouraging when entering a house too. Plus, it makes getting into your own driveway with your car a pain too. A snow free driveway looks neat, and the people in my area are definitely aware of this, as I've seen a few clean their own driveways.

Now that I've got an idea, I've got to look at the pricing. Bear in mind that the demand is naturally high, amongst the less-work-hardy elderly, and obviously, Christmas, when relatives will go back to their parents' houses, will massively increase this demand. As a result, £3.00 per single driveway, and £4.00 for a double is a pretty decent price imo, considering that it's a middle class area. Then, a bit of price targeting, in the form of grit (I will promise to grit any ice in the backgarden/remaining in the front garden, as well as leaving a small amount with the customer - very good, as it's 0 cost to me), for 50p. I'd welcome any other suggestions for a bit of extra price targeting, to weed out those willing to pay more. I've thought about offering to defrost their cars, but thats hardly difficult. All ideas will be taken into consideration.

Now that the idea, and pricing is sorted (I've got a large supply of grit, and I've bought an industrial sized shovel), all that's left is how to get the message out. The best idea would be to do door-to-door marketing, ie cold calling, and from a trial of 5 houses, this seemed to be a really good idea, with me taking customers from all those who were at home. Which means that if they aren't at home, I need a suitable leaflet. Obviously, I'm not a printing firm, and I don't have the time or resources to produce a viable leaflet, which means printing them off by myself. I just need some ideas on how to do it;

-A4 or A5?
    -Should I use my normal contact number (is that safe, or should I bother with a spare sim)?
    -How much writing do I need on it?
    -Anybody have any experience of this?
    -anyone think of a good tag/startline?

Thanks for any help in advance!

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take you on average to do one driveway? are you working alone? how are you transporting the grit?

I would keep writing to a minimum, people are busy and don't want to read an essay on an advertisement.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst the elderly might not be as capable to do the work themselves, you have to ask yourself, are they likely to venture out in this weather?

The main people who will be venturing out will be the employed and people on school runs. They are going to leave the house very early so for maximum profits, you ideally need to be clearing their drives at the crack of dawn so they are clear for them setting off. No point clearing someone's drive in the evening after their day is done and especially if it is likely to snow again.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan and I wouldn't state the price becasue people would be willing to give you a tenner etc... just if they ask, say £3

ReputationRep:
    Probably A5 for the leaflet.

ReputationRep:
    *BUMP*

Ty for all advice given so far

ReputationRep:
    *BUMP*

ReputationRep:
    A5 for the leaflet, possibly smaller. A4 will get creased and folded and will look messy and unprofessional.

If you aren't good at poster design (i dont know if you are or not, but from your questions you dont seem to have much experience..?) keep it really simple. Dont have a coloured background unless you have a good printer/paper - solid colours sometimes make the paper go weird. Make it clear on the leaflet what you are doing - eg have a big, clear title, and dont use stupid fonts. Keep writing minimal, but design it so the leaflet doesn't look boring/empty. Also dont use clipart - it normally ends up looking tacky. Instead, if you want a picture, browse some free vector download sites which have loads of free, high quality images

anyway, good luck, sounds like a really good idea and good on you

ReputationRep:
    Use black and white to save yourself money on ink, and do them as A5 which will save money on paper.

Bold headings, not too much writing and some form of image (not clipart) will make it look good.

Seriously though, no one can really dictate how to create the leaflet, just have a flick through some other leaflets or search online and have a look. The only way you can really be good at design is to look at others and learn.

ReputationRep:
    *BUMP* as updated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    UPDATE: Long Story short, I'm shovelling driveways for a small fee. Here is the leaflet I intend to hand out as a secondary form of marketing (the main aim is to go to people's houses and cold call, effectively). Here is the leaflet, any tips, ideas or criticisms please? After the bottom of the image, there is just one more line saying merry christmas

Good work! simple but effective, I like!

be sure to print it out IN COLOUR, black and versions will look cheap. Also, I would suggest printing it on A5 rather than A4, as it will make it look much more professional
    I would also suggest maybe changing the font of the black writing to something other than the default

otherwise, well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -kit-kat-)
    Good work! simple but effective, I like!

be sure to print it out IN COLOUR, black and versions will look cheap. Also, I would suggest printing it on A5 rather than A4, as it will make it look much more professional
    I would also suggest maybe changing the font of the black writing to something other than the default

otherwise, well done!
    Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. Though the default font on the black writing looks HORRIBLE in the picture, because of my low resolution screen, it actually looks fine when printed out, so I decided not to change it in the end.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.