Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Oral contracts are perfectly enforceable.

The Parol evidence rule means you generally can't use evidence of oral agreement to contradict the terms of a written contract. You need to think about what the receipt actually is: is it the contract itself (i.e. an oral agreement confirmed in writing), only evidence of the oral contract or an additional contract all by itself?

Promissory estoppel is important regardless

To count as consideration, payment by a third party has to be at the request of the creditor (see relevant case law). A subsidiary relationship whereby the mother pays C to pay D is of no concern to D. I'm a little confused by your summary of the facts re: C's mother. I'm tempted to say that the payment looks like an attempted Quistclose trust, but this is way outside the boundaries of a normal contract course...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    pls clarify if this is a LPC research task or a undergraduate contract question?

I see what you are saying re: contract law. But if the contract is partly oral and partly written, the parol evidence rule isn't really relevant - you wouldn't be using the oral agreement to contradict the written agreement because they are both part of the contract; i.e. the terms in both will be incorporated (unless inconsistent), so there is no question of using the terms of the receipt to add to the terms of the oral agreement. This would only be an issue if the oral agreement and written agreement are treated as two separate contracts, or if the contract was entirely written and you were trying to use the terms of the oral agreement to contract that written contract.

Asking D's permission isn't the same as acting under D's request, its debatable whether it counts - you'll need to examine this area of case law and think about precisely when third party payments constitute consideration

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.