Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a course im intending to take. I've been looking at the 'Geography with Economics' course at LSE, as it would potentially be an easier course to get into, and I do have some interest in geography. however id much prefer to have geography as a 'back up' in case economics doesnt work out for me, but this course is mainly geography. I would at first be looking for an economics related job, probably investment banking, but how much of a disadvantage would i be due to my economics related degree being inferior to the geography part?
    I've been reading many many threads and everyone seems to conclude that UCL is worse for actual career prospects than LSE, but would a pure economics course at USC likely be preferred over this geography with economics course at LSE?
    (also id thought id throw in if anyone knew, what are the minimum gcse requirements for economics at oxford?)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go USC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobtheman)
    hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a course im intending to take. I've been looking at the 'Geography with Economics' course at LSE, as it would potentially be an easier course to get into, and I do have some interest in geography. however id much prefer to have geography as a 'back up' in case economics doesnt work out for me, but this course is mainly geography. I would at first be looking for an economics related job, probably investment banking, but how much of a disadvantage would i be due to my economics related degree being inferior to the geography part?
    I've been reading many many threads and everyone seems to conclude that UCL is worse for actual career prospects than LSE, but would a pure economics course at USC likely be preferred over this geography with economics course at LSE?
    (also id thought id throw in if anyone knew, what are the minimum gcse requirements for economics at oxford?)
    Won't make a huge difference, but i'd go for straight Economics in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobtheman)
    Oxford doesn't provide economics as a single course.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Geography with economics at LSE over straight economics at UCL.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.