Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most of my closest friends are guys......and I'm a girl Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since starting uni, I've connected the most with guys. By no means am I a tomboy, I'm as "girly" as all the other girls but I just generally enjoy spending time with guys more than girls. If I had to pick the top 5 people I enjoy hanging with the most, they're all guys.

With some of the girls I know, I always feel like you have to be a certain way around them. Their conversations are terribly boring and just involve talking about boys, boyfriends, hot guys etc. I seem to have more awkward moments with girls than guys.

It's beginning to worry me now because I realise just how much time I spend with guys and how my closest friends are in fact guys. What should I do? Why do I enjoy male company more than female?

ReputationRep:
    ok. doesn't make a difference what gender your closest friends are.

ReputationRep:
    2 of my female friends are like that, they just say they prefer dudes as friends coz there's no *****ing etc.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm the total opposite and probably have more female than male friends. I don't find the conversation awkward between either sex, but I just happen to get on better with women, it seems.

What should you do? Absolutely nothing. Either find girls who can hold a conversation that is more your style, or learn to live with it...

ReputationRep:
    It is completely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The TSR Star.)
    Since starting uni, I've connected the most with guys. By no means am I a tomboy, I'm as "girly" as all the other girls but I just generally enjoy spending time with guys more than girls. If I had to pick the top 5 people I enjoy hanging with the most, they're all guys.

With some of the girls I know, I always feel like you have to be a certain way around them. Their conversations are terribly boring and just involve talking about boys, boyfriends, hot guys etc. I seem to have more awkward moments with girls than guys.

It's beginning to worry me now because I realise just how much time I spend with guys and how my closest friends are in fact guys. What should I do? Why do I enjoy male company more than female?
    Don't be so silly! It's perfectly fine! Some of my best mates are guys! I much prefer them to girls in all honesty! I know exactly what you mean and where you're coming from with girls. I'm a little bit tomboy but that doesn't stop me from wearing make-up, making sure I look nice and all the rest of it.

Don't do anything. You don't need to do anything there's certainly nothing wrong with you. My old best friend of 8 years was a guy. He was/is with his girlfriend since they were kids and so been going out for a good 9/10 years or so (another issue entirely) but that didn't stop us from being extremely close, going out for a drink, having lunch, seeing a film as I would do with any of my girl friends. It's no different.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same. There's nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    They ALL want to have sex with you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I've always been better friends with girls than guys... harder for me when my parents don't want me talking to girls though

The banter is generally better with guys anyway, I'm much the same and nobody thinks anything of it! HOWEVER, I would say my absolute closest friends are female. There's only 2 and I don't spend as much time with them as I do with my guy friends, but they are still there and I think I need that. There's some things that can't be discussed with guy friends. I recently had a bit of a pregnancy scare (hence the anon :P) and I needed my female friends to turn to then, because I couldn't have talked to my male friends about it, or wouldn't have felt comfortable doing so anyway. So perhaps it can be good to have just a few close female friends? But I wouldn't be overly concerned about lacking in them tbh, if your guy friends provide you with everything you need socially then don't go ditching them and making new friends just on the basis of their gender!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean anything, mine are too . Don't over analyse things and just enjoy who you're with x

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, don't worry about it! All my closest friends at Uni are guys, and half my best friends back home are guys, who I see a lot more than girls. Heck, this year, I live with 3 guys! Just me and 3 guys haha, it's such a laugh! I wouldn't be able to cope with the *****iness and endless guy talk that comes with girly territory :P Though sometimes I do miss female company!! Just don't think about it, they're your friends, what does it matter whether they're guys or girls as long as you get along great and trust them ?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter..?

It's pretty much the same for me, but I've been like that since I was born, and I suppose I'm what you could call a 'tomboy'. I often feel pretty awkward (and often bored and irritated, sorry) around girls. My only worry is that it makes me feel a bit sexist...?

ReputationRep:
    Big whoops. Nothing wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Girls who say things like:

'I'm one of the guys!'
    'Girls are too *****y to hang around with!'
    'Men are easier to get along with!'

Are normally the most irritating/*****y women out there.
    I'm one of those girls,
    but I dont think Im too *****y

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Girls who say things like:

'I'm one of the guys!'
    'Girls are too *****y to hang around with!'
    'Men are easier to get along with!'

Are normally the most irritating/*****y women out there.
    I don't see myself as one of the guys at all, I just always end up hanging with them and I enjoy it so much more. We end up doing nearly the same things as I would do with girls. I don't find the majority of girls *****y either. I don't see myself as *****y/irritating, I've never backstabbed anyone and I refrain from joining in with the *****ing of others...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Does it really matter? As long as you're comfortable and happy, that's the main thing.

I had a few close female friends at uni but the overwhelming majority of my time was spent in male company and I'm pretty sure most of my friends were male. I'm not a tomboy either (though I'm not the girliest girl either) but found that guys were less *****y and just happened to make up most of the friendship group I hung out with

ReputationRep:
    Gangbang?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CameraGirl)
    Seriously, don't worry about it! All my closest friends at Uni are guys, and half my best friends back home are guys, who I see a lot more than girls. Heck, this year, I live with 3 guys! Just me and 3 guys haha, it's such a laugh! I wouldn't be able to cope with the *****iness and endless guy talk that comes with girly territory :P Though sometimes I do miss female company!! Just don't think about it, they're your friends, what does it matter whether they're guys or girls as long as you get along great and trust them ?
    I was planning to live with my closest guy mates but other people started commenting about how "unfair"/"strange" that is...

ReputationRep:
    Who cares who you hang around with. I mean it's your choice and nobody else's. I have loads of guy friends and I find it a lot easier to get along that with all my girl friends. I have to admit that no matter whether your a tomboy or girly girl, girls will always be a lot b*tchier to each other so it doesn't matter who your friends are as long as your happy with them and their happy with you x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.