Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Russian and something else at Uni? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Heya.

I'm in year 12 now, studying sociology, psychology, english lit & lang and media studies, although I want to drop media in year 13 and pick up another AS in something, possibly politics or history or philisophy or a foreign language, depending on what's available to me.

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do at university now. Originally it was psychology, but now I'm considering english, linguistics, politics, philisophy, as well as still considering psychology.

I also think I want to take Russian, because I'm genuinely interested in that language, and I'm thinking of taking it joint with one of the subjects above (if I can find such an offer). However, I don't take an A-level in a foreign language, which would be sort of expected of me by most universities.

Is there any way I can get around this? Would taking an AS in a foreign language count? Russian isn't offered by any of the school's in the collegiate I go to, and I doubt it will be in 2011/2012.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, a lot of universities don't ask for an A Level in Russian to study Russian... It's one of the few languages which often don't require it at A Level, for the very reason you outlined above - it's not offered by most schools. Which universities were you considering applying to? Have you had a look at their entry requirements for the courses you're interested in?

A few universities do ask for an AS or A Level in any foreign language, so I'd advise that you do drop Media Studies for a language which interests you to benefit your application. Firstly though, I think you should just check out UCAS & universities' websites to find out the entry requirements, then decide whether you think you can meet them with your A Levels, before researching further and eventually applying.

Hope I've helped a little, please let me know if there's anything else I can try and help with - I study Russian at uni and have no languages at all at A Level so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.