Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which of these would upset you more? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello there guys

I'll keep it simple, imagine that your girlfriend/boyfriend (if you don't have one, try and imagine) has come back from a week-long business trip and tells you one of two things, which would upset you more?

1. They met someone who they found very physically attractive and although they had few common interests, they had sex throughout the week. You are sure that your partner loves you very much and values your relationship together highly. Your partner has reassured you that even if he/she had sex with someone else, the attraction for each other was purely physical.

2. They met someone who they found very intriguing and spent the week exploring common interests. You are sure that your partner loves you very much and values your relationship together highly. Your partner has reassured you than even if he/she enjoyed the company of someone else, they did not engage in sexual intercourse.

Thank you for reading (and hopefully replying)

ReputationRep:
    1 is far worse IMO

ReputationRep:
    Definitely number 1, that is just horrible

ReputationRep:
    number 1 obviously, but number 2 is still upsetting and jealous- making lol x

ReputationRep:
    1 IS BAAAD. because its an obvious wrong.
    but 2 is bad as well cos it'll weigh heavily on the partners mind, and may spark jealousy and a feelings of insecurity, because they found someone who was 'great' company ... Its like your partner comes back to you after soo long and their gushing about someone they met .. its not great is it ?

ReputationRep:
    1 would anger me, 2 may bother me but it's not a big deal to me.

ReputationRep:
    Number 1. Number 2 just sounds like the sort of relationship you'd have with any friend.

ReputationRep:
    would defeneitly split up with them

2. - oh well, they probably wont see them again.

ReputationRep:
    I would be pissed about both in a massive way

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how friendly situation 2 got. I mean, I'm not going to insist that my other half never makes any new friends during the entire time we're together...

If it was more than platonic, as in they really liked this third party and thought that they could be happy in a relationship with them, then number 2 would upset me more.

Number 1 implies to me that our sex life is lacking, which is something I could work on improving. Number 2 suggests that there is another person whose personality and interests he finds more engaging than mine, which is not something I can do an awful lot about.

Personally I'd be more bothered by the girl he shared common interests with than the one he had sex with.

The sex doesn't bother me so much, it is just sex and there is a kinky part of me that would find it quite horny if he would share it with me (used to ask my ex to tell me details about casual sex he'd had in the past).

ReputationRep:
    I heard that a study found case 1 more upsetting for men on average and case 2 more upsetting for women. I personally think 1 would upset everyone a bit more

ReputationRep:
    1 would just make me think, okay you're obviously an idiot and you don't deserve me - I'd find it easier to get over (obv I'd dump them). 2 would make me sick with jealousy tbh, it'd be worse.

ReputationRep:
    Number 1 would upset me more.

I mean, in 2, they've just made a friend really, I wouldn't be upset at them making friends.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously 1 for me. And as far as I'm concerned, that guy does not 'value our relationship highly'.

ReputationRep:
    For me, I think it'd depend on the level of deception.

Number 2 does just seem like 'just friends', number one would leave me eternally wondering if it really was just sexual attraction.

If prior to the trip, my partner said 'if I find someone hot that I want to ****, is it ok if I do?', I might say yes, and then wouldn't have a problem. If that hadn't happened, I really would not be happy.

ReputationRep:
    If he said number 1 it is clear he does not regard the relationship highly if he would just go off and do it with some slut somewhere else. Number 2 is much better than the first as he did not cheat.

ReputationRep:
    1 is cheating.
    2 is a friendship.
    Like, in 1 they had no respect for you and gave in to urges and betrayed trust, but in 2 yes they got along but that was it, they just enjoyed each other's company as friends.
    =]

ReputationRep:
    Obviously 1 would upset me more. You should encourage your partner to have friends that share their interests (regardless of their sex) but your partner having a physical relationship with anyone else is always unacceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously number 1 o.0 My boyfriend is perfectly entitled to have friends with similar interests, he is not, however, entitled to shag randoms on holiday.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.