Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I Being Unreasonable? Driving Test/Lessons watch

ReputationRep:
    First time poster, long time lurker

I'll give a bit of a back story firstly.
    I started driving lessons on my birthday 30th June, I had around 25 hours with this person and thought I was nearing the end. As time went on, he kept messing me around ie. not turning up on time(worst was he turned up and hr and a half late!), changing my days around, but the worst was he 'forgot' his wedding anniversary. I told him I'd call him to let him know what I was going to do. I didn't hear from him for a week, in which time I'd already had two lessons with someone else.

So that was the end of my time with him.

I've since had another approx. 13/14 hrs with this new instructor. I've been speaking to her lately about going for my test as I've now been learning for nearly 6 months and I feel I've got enough confidence to try. The only thing I need real work on is my bay parking.
    The tests are backed up until Feb at the minute and I feel that's enough time for me(I have to tax and insure my car at the end of Dec. so I can practice there, too.). I brought it up again last lesson and she said:

"You'll have to book your test in March now(Last week it was after the first week of Feb.)."
    "Why's that?"
    "Because I have two others who had their test moved to Feb. and it's unfair on them if you go first, the one girl has to redo her theory as it's run out."

Is it unreasonable for me not to wait? I feel like, why do I have to wait for her to redo her theory when she let it run out? Is that not fair on me? There's plenty of opportunity for me to go in Jan or Feb, why do I have to wait? I've let her move and canel my lessons for other people who have tests, do you think she should give me some advantage now? I'm not really fussed if she doesn't sit in, I'd like someone with me, but I'm not going to wait until March.

Sorry it's so long, I wanted to get the full situation in. Jeez, this aggravates me so much, what do you think?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    it's fair for the others to have their test first imo... they were ready first after all

ReputationRep:
    Well you say you need tax and insurance so obviously you have your own car, and you don't want her to sit in on the test. So book the test by yourself, don't take your instructor, and do it in your own car. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I haven't fully understand what you're trying to say, but why would it matter to her who has their test first if they don't clash on times?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    it's fair for the others to have their test first imo... they were ready first after all
    I understand that, but I have to wait for one of them to redo her theory, mine is already done. If that wasn't a point, I'd have less of a problem waiting.

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it, if you've got your own car, insurance and road tax you can do your test on your own without an instructor present, just with the examiner.

My friend has his own car, with insurance etc and took his test last week (he passed..) but had no lessons, his parents taught him and they didn't sit in on his exam.

Do you really want to wait an extra month or two to sit your test with your instructor, when you could do it earlier and have the freedom of being able to drive whenever, wherever earlier??

ReputationRep:
    just do what you want.
    i would just book it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Well you say you need tax and insurance so obviously you have your own car, and you don't want her to sit in on the test. So book the test by yourself, don't take your instructor, and do it in your own car. Problem solved.
    Good point, and honestly I feel more at ease in my car. It's just passed it's MOT and had repairs done, so it should be good to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom Boom Pow)
    Maybe I haven't fully understand what you're trying to say, but why would it matter to her who has their test first if they don't clash on times?
    I don't really know why it matters to her Maybe she just thinks it's fairer that way and not trying to be like a one in, one out kind of policy, if you understand me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanstalkgirl_24)
    As I understand it, if you've got your own car, insurance and road tax you can do your test on your own without an instructor present, just with the examiner.

My friend has his own car, with insurance etc and took his test last week (he passed..) but had no lessons, his parents taught him and they didn't sit in on his exam.

Do you really want to wait an extra month or two to sit your test with your instructor, when you could do it earlier and have the freedom of being able to drive whenever, wherever earlier??
    Most of the people I know who've passed have had hardly any lessons and a month or two driving with their parents, aswell :/ I'm not willing to wait an extra month, at all. I'd rather take it much earlier

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you could just do it yourself. Apparently tests are backed until April here
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by DuckSaysMOO)
    I understand that, but I have to wait for one of them to redo her theory, mine is already done. If that wasn't a point, I'd have less of a problem waiting.
    i see... i don't know, maybe it's just your instructors policy? :dontknow: like someone else said why don't you just do it in your own car =)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by DuckSaysMOO)
    Most of the people I know who've passed have had hardly any lessons and a month or two driving with their parents, aswell :/ I'm not willing to wait an extra month, at all. I'd rather take it much earlier
    haha i'm the opposite, i want to make sure i'm a confident driver before i take my test! i want to pass my test, yes, but i don't want to rush into it. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    That's stupid. My mum's a driving instructor and people have tests with her whenever. It doesn't matter how other people are progressing.

Just say you need to pass your test by Jan really, and she should fit you in. If not, then go with another instructor, get used to their car and have it with them. No-one else should have an issue with it really. :\

ReputationRep:
    i see... i don't know, maybe it's just your instructors policy? :dontknow: like someone else said why don't you just do it in your own car =)
    Haha, probably, I don't understand her ways!

haha i'm the opposite, i want to make sure i'm a confident driver before i take my test! i want to pass my test, yes, but i don't want to rush into it. :tongue:
    Ah, but I can't wait! It would make life so much easier plus I think 6 months seems a good amount of time, unless you really, REALLY can't get used to it

That's stupid. My mum's a driving instructor and people have tests with her whenever. It doesn't matter how other people are progressing.

Just say you need to pass your test by Jan really, and she should fit you in. If not, then go with another instructor, get used to their car and have it with them. No-one else should have an issue with it really. :\
    In the beginning, I was hoping for an early-late Jan. Now I'd go for a late-early Feb, but I'm not waiting until March. I would get another instructor if it came to it, but alot of them are booked up here. The two I called before her were booked until 3 months on!

piff. you're right to feel annoyed by this.

YOU bothered to learn how to drive to a standard where you think you can pass the test.
    YOU bothered to do the above within 2 years of passing your theory.
    YOU booked that test for YOURSELF.

you're not booking test appointments for other students - that's down to the receptionist of the driving school company you're with. x
    I totally agree with you. I just hope I don't sound like an absolute nuisance when I tell her Tuesday, she might leave me in an unsavoury part of Newport!

ReputationRep:
    It's none of your instructor's business. Just book it and give it a go. Your instructor is blatantly just trying to get more money off you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.