57.32%
    Paris
    42.68%

ReputationRep:
    Which would you chose?

In terms of:
    Which is cheapest?
    Which is the most beautiful?
    Which makes for the most romantic break?
    Which is the most friendly to non French or Italian speakers? (I speak very, very basic Italian. Enough to order a pint, and get on the bus )

Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest - Rome
    Most Beautiful: IMO Paris, but Rome is very nice too
    Romantic Break: Both, probably. I'd opt for Paris though
    Most friendly: Italy by a MILE. French waiters HATE speaking english. They love me, though, cos I always order in French and they were really nice. In rome we spoke in english the whole time, shamefully, but they didn't care

ReputationRep:
    Neither are cheap really, both being capital cities
    Both are pretty beautiful
    Romance? Humm both probably
    Italians have the repuation of being alot more friendly than French people. I've not spent much time in Paris but in Rome when I spend a week there everyone seemed friendly and nice

Rome.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
      Cheapest - Rome
      Most Beautiful: IMO Paris, but Rome is very nice too
      Romantic Break: Both, probably. I'd opt for Paris though
      Most friendly: Italy by a MILE. French waiters HATE speaking english. They love me, though, cos I always order in French and they were really nice. In rome we spoke in english the whole time, shamefully, but they didn't care
      Thanks allot for that info!
      Its really tipping on Rome at the moment!

ReputationRep:
      ROME.

ReputationRep:
      :bump:

ReputationRep:
      i've been to both the cities and it really depends on what you are looking for and what stuff you are into...paris is more sophisticated and arty with bucket loads if art galleries and apparently the food is nice but i stuck to mcdonalds when i went there
      whereas rome is more of old churches and monuments but paris is more beautiful in my opinion
      Cheapest - Def. Rome
      Most Beautiful: Got to be paris...rome is nice but they just seem to graffiti on everything (where i lived anyways)
      Romantic Break: Venice would be more suited for a romantic break if you do wanna go to italy but out of these two it'll be paris
      Most friendly: hmmmmmm they were both equally friendly but my parents had a nasty altercation with the italian police when they didn't do anything wrong so that will sway my vote to paris

but overall out of these two i preferred rome myself but paris is absolutely beautiful

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lonelykatana)
      Which would you chose?

In terms of:
      Which is cheapest?
      Which is the most friendly to non French or Italian speakers? (I speak very, very basic Italian. Enough to order a pint, and get on the bus )

Cheers guys
      Rome is by far the cheaper. I got an amazing three-course meal in Trastevere for 15 €.
      Would plump for Paris on architecture, but Rome for cleanliness, by far. Dog excrement is a massive annoyance in France.
      Paris is more romantic I'd say because of the reputation. Nothing beats idling down the Seine on a Bateau Mouche.
      Both will be fine for English but Italians are more friendly in general. Parisians have a baaaaad reputation.

Can't call it myself but going to Paris this weekend and can probably make a more informed decision when I've seen it all (again).

ReputationRep:
      Very cheap. Not that beautiful.

Also Italians are friendlier than the frenchies.

ReputationRep:
      How much does a week in either cost? Roughly.

ReputationRep:
      Rome is awesome :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      I advise you to go to Rome although Paris is nice too. I’ve come here
      (Rome!) to learn Italian and I thought I was going to be fed up quickly because
      learning a foreign language was difficult initially. But I love it so much
      that I made an effort and learn it; and now I’m fluent; the choice was between
      Paris and Rome and I’m really happy I chose Rome.

People are friendly and the central area is the most romantic place I’ve
      seen in the world.

Not so cheap when it comes to food but travelling by bus will only cost
      you 1 Euro for 75 minutes.

The building are tall like in central London which makes you feel good.
      Most buildings in central and non central Rome look like these
      http://www.e-bedandbreakfast.com/_sc...ilcodice=33492
      http://www.e-bedandbreakfast.com/_sc...ilcodice=24800
      and the windows open the other way round compared to the English ones.
      Very often you get marble floors inside.

If you go, I also advise you to have a look at Trastevere which is romantic
      and the area of Piazza di Spagna for the shops (some are very expensive).

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      I'd go to Paris as it's nearer and for the art and culture. Mind you, I speak a reasonable amount of French.

ReputationRep:
      i'd say paris everytime, but i speak enough french to get by so i don't know how bad it would be if you didnt know any.
      i'd try and learn some basic phrases before you go to either, it's polite to at least and try and speak the language i think.
      i wasn't overly impressed with rome. the history and stuff is impressive, so is the vatican, but i didnt think it was as 'beautiful' as its made out to be. it was the middle of summer when i went though and ridiculously hot and sticky so maybe that tainted my view a bit :p:
      paris is beautiful though, i love paris, dont think i'd ever get bored there.

neither are cheap though! rome is probably cheaper..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Samz)
      i wasn't overly impressed with rome. the history and stuff is impressive, so is the vatican, but i didnt think it was as 'beautiful' as its made out to be. it was the middle of summer when i went though and ridiculously hot and sticky so maybe that tainted my view a bit :p:

Yes in summer it’ terrible, and I mean really terrible because it’s
      too hot and sticky, most of the shops, galleries, cinemas, theatres etc
      are closed and you get tiger mosquitoes everywhere (a type of mosquito
      that was accidentally imported from India).

However in winter it’s beautiful and you get no mosquitoes.

Paris is also nice for a holiday but the language is awful, too froggy!
      I loved Pigalle when I went, though…

ReputationRep:
      I've never been abroad but i'm just going to click Rome.

ReputationRep:
      Another thing I must say about Rome – apart from the fact that today we’ve
      had snow!!
      – is that you get very tall walls in the homes: that creates a nice
      feel IMO as it’s nice to loo up and see that the ceiling is so high.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lonelykatana)
      Which would you chose?

In terms of:
      Which is cheapest?

Cheers guys
      Cheapest: Probably Paris. Everywhere in Rome seems to cost a fortune.
      Most beautiful: Rome for sheer grandeur and history; Paris for elegant Haussmanien buildings and quaintness.
      Most romantic break: Paris!
      Most friendly to non-native speakers: I'd say Rome. The French are famous for their unwillingness to speak English, especially Parisians :P

ReputationRep:
      rome is so beautiful!!!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.