Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    -How are George and Lennie presented to us?
    -What roles do George and Lennie play in the text? Are there any quotations?
    -How are George and Lennie similar/different?
    -What is Stienbeck's message?
    -Are there any alternative interpretations?

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Someone's doing GCSE English...

As I've already done it, and I'm bored, I'll help you.

-George is kind, clever (link this to his 'sharp features', sharp mind etc), caring, firm (he is very paternalistic towards Lenny).

-Lennie is childlike, and he is almost described as an animal (link into the way he drinks from the water, his 'bear like' arms etc, there are loads), kind, unaware (accidentally kills the mouse).

-Similar - they're both outsiders in their own way
    Different - Lennie is disabled, and has the mind of a child, George is clever, and sees the world how it really is

-Steinbecks message is about the theme of the outsider. All throughout the books, it's about people being alone. George, because he has no home, no wife, no one close to him. Lennie because of his disability. Curley's wife because she's the only woman and she's kept inside by Curley (notice we never know her name, she's treated like his possession), Candy because he's old and can't do his job etc.

I don't know the last one.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paintgirl50)
    -How are George and Lennie presented to us?
    -What roles do George and Lennie play in the text? Are there any quotations?
    -How are George and Lennie similar/different?
    -What is Stienbeck's message?
    -Are there any alternative interpretations?

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance!

1: through the writing
    2:Lennie animal killer George- stop lennie killing the animals/no
    3: Dont kill the animals or you dont get a house
    4: no

ReputationRep:
    the first person said what i was gonna say but for the last one, you could say perhaps during the depression, there was no hope for anyone and the outcome would always be a tradegy or something along those lines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Someone's doing GCSE English...

As I've already done it, and I'm bored, I'll help you.

-George is kind, clever (link this to his 'sharp features', sharp mind etc), caring, firm (he is very paternalistic towards Lenny).

-Lennie is childlike, and he is almost described as an animal (link into the way he drinks from the water, his 'bear like' arms etc, there are loads), kind, unaware (accidentally kills the mouse).

-Similar - they're both outsiders in their own way
    Different - Lennie is disabled, and has the mind of a child, George is clever, and sees the world how it really is

-Steinbecks message is about the theme of the outsider. All throughout the books, it's about people being alone. George, because he has no home, no wife, no one close to him. Lennie because of his disability. Curley's wife because she's the only woman and she's kept inside by Curley (notice we never know her name, she's treated like his possession), Candy because he's old and can't do his job etc.

I don't know the last one.

Hope this helps.
    Thank You!
    How does this fit in with the themes such as:
    -The Dream
    -Lonliness
    -Friendship
    -Foreboding
    Also, any tips on how to lay the essay out? Apparently i'm a ''clumsy'' writer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paintgirl50)
    Thank You!
    How does this fit in with the themes such as:
    -The Dream
    -Lonliness
    -Friendship
    -Foreboding
    Also, any tips on how to lay the essay out? Apparently i'm a ''clumsy'' writer
    The Dream - how they all had hopes and dreams and they never materialised. Curley's wife wanted to be an actress and escape, Lennie just wanted to tend the rabbits, George wanted to get the farm etc. You could link this to the depression and say how America was viewed as the land of fortune by many, but sadly, the 'American Dream' wasn't always achieved.

Lonliness is sort of the same as the outsider, basically they're all alone and no one understands etc.

Friendship, you can link Candy's friendship with his dog to Georges relationship with Lennie (especially the shootings of both).

Foreboding - use the bit where Lennie accidentally kills the pup and then Curley's wife. I don't remember the exact wording, but there are ominous signs like the fork from the truck hanging there, the darkness, the silence, the way the men won't return for a few hours etc.

What's the actual essay question? I'll try to help you lay it out from there.

ReputationRep:
    You could argue and link the idea of the American Dream and the Great Depression of the 1930s due to Wall Street Crash - this shows historical context as well which is more required in the Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    The Dream - how they all had hopes and dreams and they never materialised. Curley's wife wanted to be an actress and escape, Lennie just wanted to tend the rabbits, George wanted to get the farm etc. You could link this to the depression and say how America was viewed as the land of fortune by many, but sadly, the 'American Dream' wasn't always achieved.

Lonliness is sort of the same as the outsider, basically they're all alone and no one understands etc.

Friendship, you can link Candy's friendship with his dog to Georges relationship with Lennie (especially the shootings of both).

Foreboding - use the bit where Lennie accidentally kills the pup and then Curley's wife. I don't remember the exact wording, but there are ominous signs like the fork from the truck hanging there, the darkness, the silence, the way the men won't return for a few hours etc.

What's the actual essay question? I'll try to help you lay it out from there.
    How does the writer use detail in the passage which is the begining of section 6 (the passage about nature, it starts off the same way in chapter 1 too) to make the reader think about the characters, events and ideas in the novel.
    Also, how does the writer use detail in the passage to prepare the reader for the ending? Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.