Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have this ISA as a Mock tommorow and our teacher didn't prepare us for it coz he was ill :confused:

Anyone got any tips for this ISA?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munster)
    So I have this ISA as a Mock tommorow and our teacher didn't prepare us for it coz he was ill :confused:

Anyone got any tips for this ISA?
    Sorry if this is a bit late.
    Things they could ask you to test, the effects of things on the rate of photosynthesis. This could be from as you probably already know, light or CO2 concentrations.

From our experiment earlier in the year we were trying to find out whether different wavelengths of light affect the rate of photosynthesis. We put some algal balls into a solution, and we had 4 of these test tubes, two controls and two of different colours. We measured the rate by leaving the 4 test tubes for a day in their lights, and came back to see how the results went. I should have mentioned earlier that we added a CO2 indicator to each test tube. So if the algal balls have been photosynthesising, the indicator would contain less CO2 and therefore would change colour respectably. And in our two controls, we kept everything the same, but we didnt add the algal balls.

I'm not sure if you done this one or not, but its just an example, I wouldn't have thought that AQA can test a whole load of things about photosynthesis. I suppose its a good thing you're doing the ISA, we had our mock EMPA today with AQA, using the specimen. We had to create our own experiment using the equipment provided to determine whether or not having a meat extract(food source) in the middle of a petri dish would effect the rate of movement from maggots.....(I'm sure photosynthesis is better than handling maggots :P)

hope this is any help, but you've probably already done the ISA as this thread was yesterday -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    Sorry if this is a bit late.
    Things they could ask you to test, the effects of things on the rate of photosynthesis. This could be from as you probably already know, light or CO2 concentrations.

From our experiment earlier in the year we were trying to find out whether different wavelengths of light affect the rate of photosynthesis. We put some algal balls into a solution, and we had 4 of these test tubes, two controls and two of different colours. We measured the rate by leaving the 4 test tubes for a day in their lights, and came back to see how the results went. I should have mentioned earlier that we added a CO2 indicator to each test tube. So if the algal balls have been photosynthesising, the indicator would contain less CO2 and therefore would change colour respectably. And in our two controls, we kept everything the same, but we didnt add the algal balls.

I'm not sure if you done this one or not, but its just an example, I wouldn't have thought that AQA can test a whole load of things about photosynthesis. I suppose its a good thing you're doing the ISA, we had our mock EMPA today with AQA, using the specimen. We had to create our own experiment using the equipment provided to determine whether or not having a meat extract(food source) in the middle of a petri dish would effect the rate of movement from maggots.....(I'm sure photosynthesis is better than handling maggots :P)

hope this is any help, but you've probably already done the ISA as this thread was yesterday -.-
    Thanks! But I think my ISA was on light intensity. Also, I missed it coz I was ill

I saw that mock paper on the AQA website! That's kinda gross
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munster)
    Thanks! But I think my ISA was on light intensity. Also, I missed it coz I was ill

I saw that mock paper on the AQA website! That's kinda gross
    Ahh I see, the ISA should contain roughly the same stuff as we have both done already as we're both doing AQA Biology.

It was not the nicest EMPA in the world. Supprisingly enough, we actually had maggots in class, we were told not to pick them up with our hands, which is ok, but I'd still rather not have to be marked on my handling organisms skills

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.