Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tuition Fee hike to fund FOREIGN windmills. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Student fee 'savings' will fund windmills in Africa
    The £2.9 billion the Government will save by increasing tuition fees matches the amount earmarked for a global warming project, finds Christopher Booker.
    The cause of the major political story of last week – the row over tuition fees, students rioting and all – was, as we all know, “public spending cuts”. But how much money does the Government actually hope to save on tuition fees? If the immediate problem is our massive state deficit, it seems odd that the Government should risk such unpopularity, not for any immediate saving, but in the hope that it will get the money back over the next 30 years, as students can afford to repay it.

In the short term, the Government’s own projection as to how much it will save is that the funding of university tuition will be cut by £2.9 billion by 2014. As it happens, £2.9 billion is the sum ring-fenced, by the same public spending review, to be given to developing countries to help them fight global warming with windmills and solar panels. It is also slightly less than the £3 billion by which our public debt is rising every week. These much-vaunted “cuts” are not all we are led to believe.

Source. The ToRiGrAph.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...in-Africa.html

How do people feel about this?

ReputationRep:
    Feels good, man.

ReputationRep:
    Yawn,yawn,yawn,yawn,yawn,yawn,ya wn,yawn. So boring mate.this thread is so boring

That's pretty cool.
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      So you wouldrather have a free education than a planet to live on?

ReputationRep:
      cool storty bro'

ReputationRep:
      I dont see why the papers columnists condemn the students behaviour during the protests considering that they are churning out articles such as these which are surely designed to only inflame and inspire such incidents of unrest?

That's absolutely repulsive. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
        Say WHAT!?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by adam_zed)
        I dont see why the papers columnists condemn the students behaviour during the protests considering that they are churning out articles such as these which are surely designed to only inflame and inspire such incidents of unrest?
        Because this kind of article only inspires violence in complete cretins.

Case in point: it hasn't inspired violence in me, because I am not a complete cretin.

ReputationRep:
        Windwills for energy = ability to live > small fee's for university.
        Especially when the fee increase doesnt mean **** all for the majority of students.

ReputationRep:
        Good stuff!

O/P - you sound like a racist.

ReputationRep:
        at least invest in this ****ing country, the world's best location for wind turbine utilisation.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tommyjw)
        Windwills for energy = ability to live > small fee's for university.
        Especially when the fee increase doesnt mean **** all for the majority of students.
        the least the government could to is invest in this country so we can export electricity and generate some money for this country (which could then be given out to aid developing countries like this). this government is so incompetent.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Broderss)
        the least the government could to is invest in this country so we can export electricity and generate some money for this country (which could then be given out to aid developing countries like this). this government is so incompetent.
        Sorry..

Aid is giving things, such as these windmills which will produce non stop energy for the country.

Aid is not taking that money, building our own, and giving them cheap electricity.. that is almost exploitation.

ReputationRep:
        Sorry..

Aid is giving things, such as these windmills which will produce non stop energy for the country.

Aid is not taking that money, building our own, and giving them cheap electricity.. that is almost exploitation.
        i didn't ****ing say that. i said export electricity we generate from our wind turbines and then give aid in the form of the money we make from exporting this electricity, which they may use to invest in electricity generation if they wish.

ReputationRep:
        i didn't ****ing say that. i said export electricity we generate from our wind turbines and then give aid in the form of the money we make from exporting this electricity, which they may use to invest in electricity generation if they wish.
        So you either want to. (this is just to check, you haven't made clear which)
        Build turbines here, give all the money we make as aid
        Or give some of the money as aid, and keep some ourselves.

Either way (especially the first) , giving them the money for the turbines themselves will be better for their country.

Ya know, their country, the developing one who needs aid and such things more than we do? Have a little respect for those worse off.

ReputationRep:
        So you either want to. (this is just to check, you haven't made clear which)
        Build turbines here, give all the money we make as aid
        Or give some of the money as aid, and keep some ourselves.

Either way (especially the first) , giving them the money for the turbines themselves will be better for their country.

Ya know, their country, the developing one who needs aid and such things more than we do? Have a little respect for those worse off.
        it's not our duty to give aid to countries who shouldn't exist. we should be investing in our own country for our future, otherwise we soon won't be able to sustain ourselves. Britain is only a tiny island, not a huge superpower. you forget that. we need to look after ourselves.

ReputationRep:
        it's not our duty to give aid to countries who shouldn't exist. we should be investing in our own country for our future, otherwise we soon won't be able to sustain ourselves. Britain is only a tiny island, not a huge superpower. you forget that. we need to look after ourselves.
        Uhh.. were like the 5th most powerful country , so yes.. i think we are pretty high up.

It is our morale duty to try to help as many as possible in the world.

Either you dont give any kind of charity to any events so your an ass, or your a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
        For the first time I actually agree with you (only on this point, not on most of the other things you will probably say). Funny isnt it?

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.