Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey this is a question for C1 edexcel.

How do i factorise this?

y = 3x + 2x^2 - x^3 = x(3+2x -x^2) << get this bit

Dont know how to factorise (3+2x -x^2)

The two numbers which make -3 are 3 and -1. But i dont know how to put them in the brackets because when x is postive i know it looks like (x )(x ) but dont know how it should look for this?

y=(3-x)(1+x) (this is the answer) why do they have a postive 1 when the numbers are 3 and MiNUS 1 ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayseanfan)
    Hey this is a question for C1 edexcel.

How do i factorise this?

y = 3x + 2x^2 - x^3 = x(3+2x -x^2) << get this bit

Dont know how to factorise (3+2x -x^2)

The two numbers which make -3 are 3 and -1. But i dont know how to put them in the brackets because when x is postive i know it looks like (x )(x ) but dont know how it should look for this?

y=(3-x)(1+x) (this is the answer) why do they have a postive 1 when the numbers are 3 and MiNUS 1 ?

Thanks
    I suggest that you take a minus sign out of the bracket, so that you get -x(x^2-2x-3) and carry on from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    I suggest that you take a minus sign out of the bracket, so that you get -x(x^2-2x-3) and carry on from there.
    thanks but how about if the quesiton was factorise(3+2x -x^2)

ReputationRep:
    make it equal to 0 , multiply through by -1 to get x^2 - 2x - 3 which factorises to (x+1) (x-3) ??

ReputationRep:
    Reverse it. It now looks like (c+-x)(c+-x) where c is a constant, for example 3, and +- is plus or minus x depending on the signs.

You're looking for numbers that make 3, not -3, so 3 and 1. You make the x in the first bracket negative so that you get 3x-x which is 2x when you multiply each bracket. You also need to make it negative because you need to get a -x^2.

Hope this helps lol, you'll get used to factorising quadratics like that eventually.

ReputationRep:
    to make -x^2 you have to have (x+a)(-x+b) where a and b are constants

so from there:

(-x+3)(x+1)= -x^2-x+3x+3

this simplifies to: -x^2+2x+3

they just have the factors in another format in the answer but its exactly the same thing

Hope this helps happy to help if you have more questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Reverse it. It now looks like (c+-x)(c+-x) where c is a constant, for example 3, and +- is plus or minus x depending on the signs.

You're looking for numbers that make 3, not -3, so 3 and 1. You make the x in the first bracket negative so that you get 3x-x which is 2x when you multiply each bracket. You also need to make it negative because you need to get a -x^2.

Hope this helps lol, you'll get used to factorising quadratics like that eventually.
    thanks for the reply, but im still a little confused. Why are we look for numebers whcih make 3 and not -3?

dont you do a X c which in this case is -1 x 3 = -3 ?

ReputationRep:
    You're trying to make C = 3
    as Ax^2 + Bx + C is the general form. Basically 3x1 = 3, but as A must be negative, one of the x's must therefore be negative. As you must then find what adds to make B, which should equal 2, the bracket with 3 in must have a -x in, as when you then expand it, it will be the required quadratic.
    Try expanding the answer and you should see how it works!

ReputationRep:
    There's no reason that you can't have a -1 in front of the brackets.

In spite of all of the other offers, I still suggest that you take out a factor of -1.

So 3 + 2x - x^2 becomes -1(x^2 -2x-3)

Now apply your rules to the bracket: factors of -3 are -3 and 1 (to give -2x)

-1(x-3)(x+1)

If you don't like the -1 at the front, put it back into one of the brackets e.g. make x-3 into -x+3 or 3-x

Answer becomes (3-x)(x+1)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.