Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The meaning of christmas isn;t about presents, gifts etc but be thankful for what you have i.e. health, well-being etc

it shouldn't be about material pocessions but about family and be thankful for what you have

I mean kids today shouldn't be asking parents for expensive presents, adults work their butts of to provide for their families, pay for bills, provide food on the table, provide a roof over their head, kids should be grateful that they are not living on the streets, there are people worse off than them yet don't realize that

For example some kids want an iphone/blackberry etc- these devices will set you back between £200-400 thats a lot of money spent on kids, Thats very expensive then they ask for an ipad- that at least £500-600 pending on models, they are expensive, that money can easily be paid for a holiday abroad or at least the mortgage

these kids who see xmas as no more than an excuse to get objects that cost extreme amount that parents have worked hard to earn go and spent on them.

I think parents should have a long hard talk to their kids about the true value of christmas

Unless the parents work in the city of london, in high corporate job where they earn a sox figure salary and they get a huge christmas bonus, then maybe just maybe they could fork out for more expensive presents

But for those earning not a lot due to financial difficulty, kids should be happy for what they have.

for me I will be giving not receiving, I am happy what I have I don;t need anything right now

ReputationRep:
    No, the true meaning of christmas is to get ****faced and watch some crap tv whilst eating a mother****ing turkey.

ReputationRep:
    But I'm sure a lot of them aren't tight with their money and love to see faces when they give their gift.

And the true meaning of Christmas isn't to be thankful, it's to celebrate the birth of Christ.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's all well and good, unless you're like me who tries to give presents back. I also help cook the Christmas dinner, therefore I deserve goddamn gifts!
    No, but seriously, some people like the happiness buying gifts brings to people. I know my mum does, and that's fine by me, but I'm still putting in £100 along with other members of my family to buy her an Ipad she wants.
    So take your anti-Christmas happiness-ness away! You don't want presents? Then don't get any! Doesn't mean you have to show us all how great you think you are by not doing so!

ReputationRep:
    "To jizz in my pants."

Just quoting Santa.

Proof: Look at your roads outside. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    as well to celebrate the birth of christ is also the main reason for xmas but celebrating that you are grateful and thank ful for the stuff you have and also be thankful for the people around you and that you have people you care about and those you love

celebrating christ is the main reason for xmas but not about presents

Consumerism takes over people's lives

Those work in the city have it good, big christmas bonus plus office christmas party

good life

ReputationRep:
    winter solstice, buying lots of presents, bit of a boost to economy. jesus wasn't born on 25th december anyway. purpose is really commercial these days.

ReputationRep:
    Sharing some aged cider next to a bin set on fire in the freezing cold next to a bunch of hobo's sharing the warmth and unity.

ReputationRep:
    No it's about eating loads of food, drinking loads of booze and watching the Queen's speech.

ReputationRep:
    Being thankful? I think you're thinking of thanksgiving...

ReputationRep:
    Its about giving not recieving... happy xmas

ReputationRep:
    The true meaning of christmas is OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.