Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the Medlink thing on Wednesday, but then I was looking at threads on here and so many people were saying that it wasn't worth the money.. I'm sliiiightly worried because we can't really afford it, so if it isn't worth it then I probably shouldn't go.. but then again if it's great then I don't want to miss out. Any experiences?? Also, I'm going by myself. Does this mean that I'm going to be hanging out by myself all week, or do a lot of people go alone? I don't really want to be a loner :P Thanks

ReputationRep:
    how much does it cost?

ReputationRep:
    like..two hundred something..can't really remember without looking.

ReputationRep:
    I went and found that some of it was really useful as in experiencing lectures from profesors and doctors, made a load of new friends and there were a few good tips and hints given out. I think it just really put you into the right frame of mind and urged you to get yourself sorted
    Though if i remember correctly it was v.expensive

ReputationRep:
    I'm going too... yeah I've heard it's a waste of money BUT I've also heard it's very fun and useful. I didn't want to miss out so I decided to go.

ReputationRep:
    hello
    i went to medlink last year. although it wasnt extremelyy useful, it was VERY fun but it did open my eyes to all the different medical specialities and showed me what going to lectures wud be like, which was really good
    overall, it's a really fun experience and i really enjoyed it, although it was expensive

ReputationRep:
    I went on MedLink last year by myself as well, there are literally at least 200 other people there so seriously don't worry about being by yourself!!! (: Have a natter to the people you are sitting by in the lectures and in your hall, 'tis what I did and have come away still talking to the people I met there

As for whether it is worth it, my parents were in the position as yours - not really being able to afford but we decided that it would be really helpful so we paid for it. I found the whole experience absolutely brilliant and learnt alot about the different professions in Medicine as well as the entrance tests (BMAT, UKCAT). If you are smart about it you will get some contact details from the speakers because you may be able to get some great work experience from it (:

The days are full to the brim so it can be tiring, I wasn't the only one to miss an entire lecture as my head was on the desk sleeping haha, but it is worth it tbh (:

Overall though, each to their own, some people may not have liked it but at the end of the day I thorughly enjoyed it, went there knowing nobody and ended up bumping into somebody I knew and with new friends that I am still in touch with, shall more than likely be exactly the same for you (:

ReputationRep:
    Aaah..feeling loads better about it now Everyone else made it sound like the worst week of their life..I was thinking that I was making a huuuge mistake. Thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    The breakfast was quite nice.

Nope, nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    I got laid...

ReputationRep:
    Not worth the money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorahM)
    Aaah..feeling loads better about it now Everyone else made it sound like the worst week of their life..I was thinking that I was making a huuuge mistake. Thank youuu
    Norah, it is ****. get your refund.

also pay attention to thse fact that nearly all the positive answers are from people who joined when the medsim row thread started, and they've pretty much never posed on anyn other thread save the...any clue as to who they are?

get clued up, mate, there are people who are always around to take advantage of you.

ReputationRep:
    It's awful how Medlink preys on kids who have the money (and even those who don't have the money, like me!) and their desperation to get into medicine. It's such an awful scam and it really needs to be exploited for how f**king useless it is, honestly. I was too embarrassed to mention it in my personal statement o.O

ReputationRep:
    I went medlike and it is fantastically
    You go and tell your friends because you need medlink to go to university
    Medlink is really ace and I made a ton of friends and we all became docturs

ReputationRep:
    Can I make it clear Medlink has nothing to do with Nottingham Medical School.

Also, if it's possible to get a refund try and get a refund. If it's proof that medical applicants are too middle class and too wealthy - medlink is it.

(Original post by cowsgoquack)
    I got laid...
    My mate can top that. He met his girlfriend there - she is now pregnant.

(Original post by Bubbles2010)
    hello
    i went to medlink last year. although it wasnt extremelyy useful, it was VERY fun but it did open my eyes to all the different medical specialities and showed me what going to lectures wud be like, which was really good
    overall, it's a really fun experience and i really enjoyed it, although it was expensive
    Right. So the only way somebody can find out about medical specialities and deduce that a lecture involves sitting in a fairly large room is by paying hundreds of pounds to attend medlink :rolleyes:

(Original post by failingatm)
    I'm going too... yeah I've heard it's a waste of money BUT I've also heard it's very fun and useful. I didn't want to miss out so I decided to go.
    Interesting. It's both a waste of money and very useful :beard:

(Original post by KitKat99)
    I think it just really put you into the right frame of mind and urged you to get yourself sorted
    Though if i remember correctly it was v.expensive
    You need to pay for medlink to motivate yourself to apply to medicine. Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorahM)
    I'm going to the Medlink thing on Wednesday, but then I was looking at threads on here and so many people were saying that it wasn't worth the money.. I'm sliiiightly worried because we can't really afford it, so if it isn't worth it then I probably shouldn't go.. but then again if it's great then I don't want to miss out. Any experiences?? Also, I'm going by myself. Does this mean that I'm going to be hanging out by myself all week, or do a lot of people go alone? I don't really want to be a loner :P Thanks
    Are you able to get a full refund this late? If so I probably would in your position. It's a fairly fun experience but ultimately, I felt, a waste of time.
    If you can't get a refund and go it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, you will have a good time, but remember when you're there:
    Lectures there are not like the ones you get at med school
    Medlink probably has some sort of financial affiliation to Prauge med school and Charles university
    Don't buy all the extra rubbish they offer you, especially the more expensive stethoscope. (I use the one they gave us included for dressing up)
    If you do go you can come and see me at the exhibition

If you decide not to go;
    You miss out on a lot of info about different specialties, but as organ said, you can find that out elsewhere.
    You definitely don't need to have gone on medlink to get into medicine. It would be ridiculous for med schools to discriminate between candidates on that, since it's so expensive for what it is.

My friend is at Medlink right now. I did warn her that it was a waste of money but did she listen? :rolleyes:
      I feel sorry for all those people who get sucked in.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Organ)
      Can I make it clear Medlink has nothing to do with Nottingham Medical School.

Also, if it's possible to get a refund try and get a refund. If it's proof that medical applicants are too middle class and too wealthy - medlink is it.

My mate can top that. He met his girlfriend there - she is now pregnant.

Right. So the only way somebody can find out about medical specialities and deduce that a lecture involves sitting in a fairly large room is by paying hundreds of pounds to attend medlink :rolleyes:

Interesting. It's both a waste of money and very useful :beard:

You need to pay for medlink to motivate yourself to apply to medicine. Jesus.
      :lolwut: How the HELL would I be able to ask for a refund if I attend... And I'm not middle class. I'm quite poor actually.

I'm guessing you're very against Medlink. I know it's a ****ing waste of money! People have told me that... but my teacher said to go because it will help motivate me and also for extra information. Lots of my friends are going too and so far they have said its good.

:lolwut: You've confused me so much!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by failingatm)
      :lolwut: How the HELL would I be able to ask for a refund if I attend... And I'm not middle class. I'm quite poor actually. It was a christmas gift from my family.

I'm guessing you're very against Medlink.

:lolwut: You've confused me so much!
      A christmas present! :hugs: I do honestly feel for you

This is why medlink are scum :mad:

Can't you say you have been involved in a serious acident or something - they might give you a full refund?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Organ)
      A christmas present! :hugs: I do honestly feel for you

This is why medlink are scum :mad:

Can't you say you have been involved in a serious acident or something - they might give you a full refund?
      Medlink was my christmas present last year too! What made it worse was that so many people were truly ungrateful that they were there and just whinged. :mad:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.