Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why are there more female medics than male???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitKat99)
    Another way you can ask this: why are there more female cooks than males?

that's because Women are meant to be inside the kitchen cooking

Logic really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitKat99)
    There should be more male doctors. They are better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    There should be more male doctors. They are better.
    Some of the best doctors I've come across are women, so no.

ReputationRep:
    there should be more male doctors that have a limp and have drug addictions....

that way, every hospital would have its very own gregory house

seriously though....perhaps its because medicine is a very altruistic profession, and women tend to be more altruistic than men....due to the whole maternal thing???

I thought there was more men though......

ReputationRep:
    there should be more male doctors that have a limp and have drug addictions....

that way, every hospital would have its very own gregory house

seriously though....perhaps its because medicine is a very altruistic profession, and women tend to be more altruistic than men....due to the whole maternal thing???

I thought there was more men though......

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why there are more female medics.. but I'm not complaining

ReputationRep:
    I think, although this sounds completely stereotypical, that girls have a more innate need to look after people than males. I suppose it's just a caring thing, and women are the stereotypical carers. I know that I hate seeing people in pain and I just want to be able to stop it! Not saying men can't do that of course because they can and I've met so many amazing male doctors! It just takes a special kind of guy I reckon

ReputationRep:
    Because more females than males watch Holby city, Casualty and all those medical dramas. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    its like asking why are there more male engineers? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    I think, although this sounds completely stereotypical, that girls have a more innate need to look after people than males. I suppose it's just a caring thing, and women are the stereotypical carers. I know that I hate seeing people in pain and I just want to be able to stop it! Not saying men can't do that of course because they can and I've met so many amazing male doctors! It just takes a special kind of guy I reckon
    As opposed to men who love to see people in pain, and do everything to prolong it

Nah, girls generally do slightly better at school, caring profession as said above, not really mathsy and physicsy which tends to be a sausagefest, girls are probably more organised with work exp, probably slightly more mature at interview etcetera.

I think guys being outnumbered by girls at med school is great :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    As opposed to men who love to see people in pain, and do everything to prolong it

Nah, girls generally do slightly better at school, caring profession as said above, not really mathsy and physicsy which tends to be a sausagefest, girls are probably more organised with work exp, probably slightly more mature at interview etcetera.

I think guys being outnumbered by girls at med school is great :yep:
    LMAO.

ReputationRep:
    1. Girls do better in education and are more focused so will have the attributes (academic and otherwise) to apply for medicine as teenagers more often

2. Medicine is not considered to be a rigourous science degree in the way that it used to be making it more attractive to those that are better at things like humanities (traditionally females)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    It just takes a special kind of guy I reckon
    This is true, I think. I tend to be slightly more interested in finding out a guy's reasons for wanting to study medicine as opposed to a girl's.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I read something a while ago (longitudinal study iirc) that suggested girls peak at an earlier academic level than boys, so on average get higher GCSE's and because medical schools, on average, look for high GCSE's for admissions it would follow that there would be more female medics.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because girls are better at expressing their empathy and caring nature in the interview? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget that this has only been the case for the last few years - and until ~30-40 years ago there were hardly any women in medicine!

Currently I think it's a combination of medicine now being more attractive (and accessible) to women, and, as Sarky said, girls in general doing better in school and so being more likely to be in a position to apply. And I would say that in general your average 17 year old girl might be a bit more articulate and sociable with strangers and therefore perhaps likely to do a bit better in an interview situation than your average 17 year old boy.

There are some old curmudgeons out there who say that the worst thing to happen to nursing was letting women into medical school...

ReputationRep:
    I think it is the fact that girls have battled for their independence, to be able to have an education rather then being the woman who makes dinner, cleans the house looks after the kids, whilst the husband works. This entrance has allowed woman to feel, 'hey i want an education' which in turn may allow them to become Doctors. I think they also get bored of nursing and want to be in the lime light more

So now it is common to see males and females as equal, well in most places i no a few of my friends who are girls doing physics, further maths and stuff however they are out numbered, as we males are outnumbered in Psychology and Biology

ReputationRep:
    It's a recent thing, perhaps the greater accessibility to medical school, greater accessibility to funding, and then fairer working hours can make it easier to have a family... hmm

ReputationRep:
    Echoing what Sarky said, girls generally mature earlier than guys and have a more focused attitude at school. Puts them in a better place to apply before anything other applications have been considered. There's also some evidence around to say that girls fair better at interview stage.

Either way, it's probably a bad thing there are more female medics than males.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.