Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

18 year old male learning to drive with Automatic? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad or embarassing if i learn to drive with an automatic gear box instead of manual. The thing is i had 11 lessons with manual and felt like i was making slow progress and it was a bit of a struggle for me i was still stalling in my 10th lesson. I am thinking of learning how to drive this january with an Automatic gear box but i think my friends will mock me about it. I am the type of person that dont really care what people think and do what i feel is right so uno. I just wanna know if you guys will look at a 18 year old boy differently if he drives an automatic.

ReputationRep:
    oh yea and im really lazy lol

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Yes.

You can never be a rude boi now.

(Original post by Gemma :)!)
        I don't really understand why they even MAKE manuals.. it's a lot of messing around when there's no need!
        Don't understand cars, do you?

ReputationRep:
        Thanks

The only problem i had was with gears and i kept stalling and horrible cluth control, I was preety good at steering and manourves so i figure automatic is the way to go

ReputationRep:
        I would learn in manual and then you can go straight onto automatic cars, you don't even have to look at a manual car again if you don't want to.

if you learn in automatic you can never drive a manual car, legally anyway :P

ReputationRep:
        I wouldn't look at you differently, but I think you should keep trying with manual. You will get it eventually.

ReputationRep:
        I look down on people that can't drive in a manual. :smug:

ReputationRep:
        I dont really have money to be wasting on manual lessons if i know it will take me a lot of lessons to pass. Im a student so i really cant afford a lot of lessons. When im older and i get a steady job then i can learn again with manual but now, i feel i need only about 10 lessons to pass with an automatic since i have previous experience driving, if i continue with manual i probably need 25 lessons to become perfect

ReputationRep:
        Your not really a guy if you cant drive the stick properly But seriously, yeh you will defintely get mocked for not "really" passing your driving test, "womens driving test", cant drive etc etc, if you cant drive manual then be prepared for some banter, i got some right banter about failing my first time even though it was a 1minor/1major, and then passed the 2nd time with just 1 minor, much better than like 90% of my friends, but i guess driving an auto before passing is the biggest driving banter... especially if you only get a auto only license because you wont be able to drive manuals then which basically means you got a pink version of a manual provisional (green to the rest of us)

if it helps im 17 :P

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ritchie888)
        Don't understand cars, do you?
        So you're saying that it's a good thing that some cars are made really easy to use, and some are over complicated?
        Ok.

ReputationRep:
        It's better to learn on manual first, until it becomes instinct. That way you can drive either car (e.g. imagine you go abroad and they don't have automatic cars there and you need to rent one?) Automatic cars consume more petrol too. And yes, it's very likely that people will either tease you or look down on you for taking the easy option. Learn to drive a manual, and then you can do whatever you want after that. You;ll find that if you can't be bothered to do it now, you never will.

(Original post by Gemma :)!)
          So you're saying that it's a good thing that some cars are made really easy to use, and some are over complicated?
          Ok.
          Well, no. Manual cars, believe it or not, are much faster to change gear. Automatic cars have to estimate when there are enough (or not enough) revs to change up or down gears respectively. Being able to change the gear yourself makes for faster changes and thus quicker acceleration.

ReputationRep:
          I learnt to drive a manual and am now driving an automatic.

Driving an automatic IS SO EASY. It's

ReputationRep:
          You will really restrict your options learning on an automatic.

1. If your later employment provides a car, automatic may not be an option.
          2. Hiring a car (restricts choice)
          3. Self drive re vans (few automatics)

I note you believe you can later go back to pass on a manual, however this is easier said than done. A few years driving and you will pick up various driving habits which would be considered a problem when sitting a test. It is easier to learn if you also do not need to eradicate these, losing a bad habit tends to be more difficult than picking up a good one.

At the end of the day the majority of drivers who have passed their tests > 3 years ago would, I expect, struggle to resit and pass. It is not that they are bad drivers, I include myself in the group, it is just that after a while driving itself becomes virtually a thought free process: by this I do not mean observation and awareness, these grow with time, merely that skipping gear changes,lack of use of handbrake, decelerating using the engine and gears as brakes are habits you will grow into.

A final point, I drive a great deal on snow and ice abroad (Sweden). A manual tends to be a better option in that one can pull way in second with less wheel spin and reduce speed without using brakes. Given the current winter it is a reminder why manuals, at times, have the edge.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by moneyballs2)
          I learnt to drive a manual and am now driving an automatic.

Driving an automatic IS SO EASY. It's
          This is the main reason, i want to enjoy driving and when i drive manual i hate it, i keep stalling and other drivers give get annoyed. So automatic it is.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by ritchie888)
          Well, no. Manual cars, believe it or not, are much faster to change gear. Automatic cars have to estimate when there are enough (or not enough) revs to change up or down gears respectively. Being able to change the gear yourself makes for faster changes and thus quicker acceleration.
          Fair enough.
          I drive manual btw :P Just thought I'd tell you incase you think I can't drive :')

ReputationRep:
          Pass the manual test and don't be a gimp about it. A lot of people still stall around the tenth lesson, it's not a big deal. Instead of whimping out and taking a test that limits the type of car you're legally allowed to drive, finish your lessons in a manual. 25 is the average it takes for people to pass their test. If you're short on money practice in a friends car in a parking lot at night. You will regret not passing the full test.

ReputationRep:
          This entire thread just ****s all over your screen name.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.