Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF Fighter Pilot - eyesight Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

My dream has been to become a fighter pilot for years. In recent months i have found out that i am acutley colour blind, but not the common red/green. I've been told by a number of sources' that you can't be colour blind at all.

However, after reading a blog from years ago it states that you shouldnt believe anything you hear, and i've heard this before in this case. It has filled me with some optimism to become a pilot, but my back up is helicopter if my colour sight is good enough or an army officer, infantry commander.

I would like to know if anyone knows the actual eyesight requirements for future reference.

Cheers, Louis92

ReputationRep:
    You can be colour blind and still join the RAF but you wont be able to do certain roles (one of them being a pilot). It may be worth looking into the Army Air Corps as they are generally more lenient with regards to health issues.

There is a lot more leniency being a civil pilot, you can have mild forms of colour blindness and still have a licence, more severe cases can still get a licence but they have more restrictions.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, I thought the level of colour blindness effects the type of aircraft you fly?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.