Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Finally, after a lot of looking in a proper camera shop (not currys/comet), including going outside taking pictures (in the dodgiest area of town). Came home with an Olympus SP-800UZ. Have to say i'm pretty happy with it.

What are people opinions on it?

I was so torn with the Olympus, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZX3, Nikon Coolpix L110, and the Fujifilm S1850.
    Still not sure if I went for the right one, can anyone give me a peace of mind, bearing in mind what I wanted in a camera.
    -Long battery life.
    -Decent/Reasonable zoom.
    -Clear, bright pictures.
    -Option for video.
    -Around the £200 mark.
    -Preferably the DSLR shape lookalike body.

ReputationRep:
    I'm offended that you don't class Currys as a proper camera shop. It very much depends on who's working in there at the time. I've had customers come in who were very pleased with the service I gave them after being served by a complete Gimp in London Camera Exchange or Devon Camera Center.

Is that the version with 15x zoom or 30x zoom? I think they're very similar apart from the zoom, but I don't get on very well with the 30x zoom model. It hasn't got nearly enough controls for my liking and the lens is soft as hell zoomed right in. The grip isn't big enough either - if you're going the whole hog and putting a big lens on the camera at least give it a decent grip.

You liking it is the bit that matters though. The Olympus benefits from running on a lithium battery over the Nikon (Nikon aren't that great at anything other than DSLRs anyway) and the Fujifilm (very good cameras).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.