Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    4 Fig. 4.1 is a diagram drawn from a photomicrograph of an animal cell undergoing meiosis.

(a) Identify the stage of meiosis shown in Fig. 4.1.

................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ .....[2]

figure attached

th answer is : metaphase 2
    from which angle does this look like metaphase 2?????
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampire-Love4ever)
    4 Fig. 4.1 is a diagram drawn from a photomicrograph of an animal cell undergoing meiosis.

(a) Identify the stage of meiosis shown in Fig. 4.1.

................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ .....[2]

figure attached

th answer is : metaphase 2
    from which angle does this look like metaphase 2?????
    From my point of view, you can tell theres two cells right. So it must be ....(something)..... 2. The spindle fibres here are not clear, but if I had to name this phase myself, I would guess metaphase 2, purely because the chromosomes are being pulled apart, if you can make it out? Plus they're not quite apart yet, so it can't be anaphase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    From my point of view, you can tell theres two cells right. So it must be ....(something)..... 2. The spindle fibres here are not clear, but if I had to name this phase myself, I would guess metaphase 2, purely because the chromosomes are being pulled apart, if you can make it out? Plus they're not quite apart yet, so it can't be anaphase.
    I really don't get it
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampire-Love4ever)
    I really don't get it
    You can see that it is happening in two cells right? Indicating meiosis 1 has already happened. In metaphase 2, the spindle fibres pull the chromosomes to the poles of the cell, away from eachother, splitting if you like right? Can you make out that they are being pulled away from eachother?(although I do agree with you because nothing is pulling them in the picture) and that if they wernt being pulled away from eachother, the lines wouldn't be in the pattern they're shown in. This is quite hard to explain and im not the best at explaining things. If you want, I can find a link for you showing you how meiosis occurs. You know about all the other phases right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.