Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so idk what the problem is, i have the new windows 7 and recently wiped my laptop thinking that'll fix my problem but it only made it worse

my laptop specs are:
    dual core AMD 2.1ghz or something like that
    3gb ram
    1gb ati graphics
    and like 250gb hdd
    & ive only had the laptop like a year & half ish

but my problem, if i just have msn & chrome with facebook and only one chat window open on msn itll be using like 60% of my cpu & like when you type its taking ages to come up on the screen? if you know what i mean? but its usually okay for about half hour and then i have to exit msn and reopen.

how can i fix this

thankyouuuu everyone

ReputationRep:
    Tried uninstalling it and installing the latest version?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebody else)
    Tried uninstalling it and installing the latest version?
    already tried that, several times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timtea)
    how can i fix this
    Uninstall msn (which is ****), and install pidgin messenger. It's a multi messenger client which uses less than a 1/3 of the cpu that msn uses...i.e. it is much better in that it doesn't slow the computer down!

ReputationRep:
    pfft, my cpu never uses more than 20% well i am running 6 cores, chrome, windows live, skype, itunes, avg scan, malware byt scan and superanti spyware scan. and a bunch of monitoring apps.

Try and find the older version of window live messenger before it integrated facebook, the older one was less cpu hungry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spexzzz)
    pfft, my cpu never uses more than 20% well i am running 6 cores, chrome, windows live, skype, itunes, avg scan, malware byt scan and superanti spyware scan. and a bunch of monitoring apps.

Try and find the older version of window live messenger before it integrated facebook, the older one was less cpu hungry.
    with this method you will however get windows constantly telling you to upgrade to the latest messenger, claiming its important

(Original post by timtea)
      so idk what the problem is, i have the new windows 7 and recently wiped my laptop thinking that'll fix my problem but it only made it worse

my laptop specs are:
      dual core AMD 2.1ghz or something like that
      3gb ram
      1gb ati graphics
      and like 250gb hdd
      & ive only had the laptop like a year & half ish

but my problem, if i just have msn & chrome with facebook and only one chat window open on msn itll be using like 60% of my cpu & like when you type its taking ages to come up on the screen? if you know what i mean? but its usually okay for about half hour and then i have to exit msn and reopen.

how can i fix this

thankyouuuu everyone
      I've taken the liberty of emboldening your problems. If you can replace these with software that works, you shouldn't have a problem. For example, Windows XP is still better than Windows 7, Empathy IM client is orders of magnitude better than Windows Live Messenger (it even supports all the other chat protocols), and Chrome... why? It's shiny, that's all. Get a browser that works.

I don't care if people are going to say "argh, but this is just a user;" I'm going to say this anyway: Linux will fulfill your needs. Get Debian.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      I've taken the liberty of emboldening your problems. If you can replace these with software that works, you shouldn't have a problem. For example, Windows XP is still better than Windows 7, Empathy IM client is orders of magnitude better than Windows Live Messenger (it even supports all the other chat protocols), and Chrome... why? It's shiny, that's all. Get a browser that works.

I don't care if people are going to say "argh, but this is just a user;" I'm going to say this anyway: Linux will fulfill your needs. Get Debian.
      Oh please, this isn't the days of Vista. Windows 7 is actually an excellent OS for nearly all user's uses, and is generally the best compromise between usability and customisation, which puts it between OSX and linux.

I've tried out quite a few different distros of linux, and had Arch running in dual boot for quite a while. And while much better than windows for some things, I would never have it as my main OS, because linux can't do things I need it to do well, e.g photoshop, gaming, etc. And there is no way XP is still better... don't tell me you're still a fan..? The only uses XP has now is for benching runs.

And with regard to Chrome, what's better?? Sure it's 'shiny', but it's also the fastest, and has an extension library that - for functionality - rivals the capabilities of firefox and opera with their plugins.

I will obviously agree though that MSN is a pile of ****. OP, try Trillian, it's a pretty good alternative while not being so full of bloatware as MSN

(Original post by White Zenith)
        Oh please, this isn't the days of Vista. Windows 7 is actually an excellent OS for nearly all user's uses, and is generally the best compromise between usability and customisation, which puts it between OSX and linux.

I've tried out quite a few different distros of linux, and had Arch running in dual boot for quite a while. And while much better than windows for some things, I would never have it as my main OS, because linux can't do things I need it to do well, e.g photoshop, gaming, etc. And there is no way XP is still better... don't tell me you're still a fan..? The only uses XP has now is for benching runs.

And with regard to Chrome, what's better?? Sure it's 'shiny', but it's also the fastest, and has an extension library that - for functionality - rivals the capabilities of firefox and opera with their plugins.

I will obviously agree though that MSN is a pile of ****. OP, try Trillian, it's a pretty good alternative while not being so full of bloatware as MSN
        When I first tried Windows 7, I'll admit I was impressed. But after the novelty of it wore off, I saw what it is: a more stable Vista with new icons, a shinier shell, and an even bigger disk footprint. With Windows 7 you get an OS and some crude tools (as ever; a text editor, a word processor, and the simplest of image manipulation packages), drivers for almost every device released, gigabytes of unnecessary help files, which are ignored by people who don't need them and aren't known by people who do, ad nauseum. With Windows XP you get something that will still run the software that the majority of people need, and provides a relatively programming environment for people who need that. And the disk footprint is a fifteenth of that of Windows 7. Again, Linux includes more software again (Debian/Ubuntu come installed with everything a home user would require), and has a disk footprint of about a seventh of Windows 7.

I was never a fan of Windows XP; I always preferred NT 4 for its stability and performance. But sadly I can't run modern software on an NT 4 box without doing extensive kernel hackery (possible, I have the code, but it's not something I fancy doing). XP works for what I need it for (Visual Studio, for my degree), and it's there as a platform for me to play with as well. But as soon as ReactOS becomes stable, I'll be migrating my Windows software to that, and only ever virtualize Windows again.

And don't talk to me about MacOS. I have a moral objection to a system that allows all and sundry to waltz upto it and go into maintenance mode without any kind of authentication.

I was talking about the OP's needs here, not yours. OP wants a platform on which to run a web browser and a chat client. A casual Internet user, in other words - the type of user that doesn't want to own an outrageously expensive license to use their own hardware (in the form of Windows), or have gigabytes of unnecessary manuals, or drivers for devices they're never going to use. OP doesn't need Photoshop, either.

The tests for Chrome's base performance were done on software build by Google. Javascript came out a hundred times faster than on Firefox? Dream on, backdoors make that an easy task to simulate, especially when all the times are too small for a human to register. But I don't care; I'm not interested in a browser war (I was in the 2004-2009 Beta War, had enough of that). I just know what I know, and relay what I've experienced.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Tootles)
        Yes, I agree with a fair amount of what you said in that post.

With regard to the issue of disk footprint, I can't say it's ever bothered me, 13GB or so on install out of 2TB barely registers for me. Disk space is cheap, 1TB drives are ~40, so I don't see it as a problem. When I move to an SSD it will be more of an issue, for sure...

The bundled software point you make isn't microsoft's fault - they're not allowed to bundle anything good or otherwise it will be deemed anti-competitive by the EU! But again, from my experience, I don't use any of the bundled software with windows, as there are always better free options out there.

Also, the chrome performance figures are more than just javascript. Page rendering speed, cold boot and warm boot are all the fastest out of the main 5 browsers.
        Here are some example benchmarks that go beyond just javascript.

If you haven't tried chrome for a while (say, back at chrome 3.0, 4.0), it's on version 8 stable and version 10 for the cutting edge builds, so I'd recommend you give it another try

(Original post by White Zenith)
          Yes, I agree with a fair amount of what you said in that post.

With regard to the issue of disk footprint, I can't say it's ever bothered me, 13GB or so on install out of 2TB barely registers for me. Disk space is cheap, 1TB drives are ~40, so I don't see it as a problem. When I move to an SSD it will be more of an issue, for sure...

The bundled software point you make isn't microsoft's fault - they're not allowed to bundle anything good or otherwise it will be deemed anti-competitive by the EU! But again, from my experience, I don't use any of the bundled software with windows, as there are always better free options out there.

Also, the chrome performance figures are more than just javascript. Page rendering speed, cold boot and warm boot are all the fastest out of the main 5 browsers.
          Here are some example benchmarks that go beyond just javascript.

If you haven't tried chrome for a while (say, back at chrome 3.0, 4.0), it's on version 8 stable and version 10 for the cutting edge builds, so I'd recommend you give it another try
          Hmm... you see, I like the OS small, and try to keep it on a partition of its own (/ - 1GiB; /usr - 10GiB) and my /home and my archives on other partitions. Then again, I was using a 2GiB drive until 2006, so I learned the hard way that however big your drive, every byte has to count.

Microsoft could make the majority of the system optional; I for one am sick of having to use increasingly bloated versions of IE to download Fx on new builds. And they could make office productivity software freely available for it, yet they don't - because they're a profit organization, they want your money.

I'm not really bothered about trying Chrome. I am more than happy with Firefox on my boxes. My only problem with it is that on Saturn (VAIO w/ 64-bit Pentium, amd64 Debian) the rendering engine has just - this morning - decided it didn't like TSR any more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.