The Student Room Group

The effects of Institutions and Day Care on attachment / social development (help)

I'm studying AS psychology through the AQA spec A, with an exam in January. Revision is going quite well admittedly, but I can't seem to get my head around certain aspects of developmental psychology, especially daycare.

I have two text books, but only one of them offers me useful cases. I was wondering if anybody could share a resource on cases concerning the effects of institutions on attachment and the effects of daycare on social development, which also includes their evaluations? I'm extremely paranoid that this area will be the topic of the 12 mark question, and I'd never get an A if that were the case unless I get my head around this area pronto.

Reply 1
Original post by Consensus94
I'm studying AS psychology through the AQA spec A, with an exam in January. Revision is going quite well admittedly, but I can't seem to get my head around certain aspects of developmental psychology, especially daycare.

I have two text books, but only one of them offers me useful cases. I was wondering if anybody could share a resource on cases concerning the effects of institutions on attachment and the effects of daycare on social development, which also includes their evaluations? I'm extremely paranoid that this area will be the topic of the 12 mark question, and I'd never get an A if that were the case unless I get my head around this area pronto.

Check my post on the revision notes thread
Reply 2
Im doing the exam in january too :frown:
Im doing well in the Development psychology (we got two diff teachers) and this one puts pressure so i REVISE. however cognitive i will struggle :frown:

Look at past papers and the mark schemes they tend to do the trick for me! and i also go on www.getrevising.co.uk which is useful for me :smile:

Day care- family based care & nursery
12 marks day care will usually ask about the effect on it and how it is on behaviour, like peer relationships or agression.
Usually has to be two sided with reference to psychologists.

Field et al found that children who spent full time in day care are more cooperative than those who go part time.....etc etc.
Belsky found that children who attend day care show higher levels of behaviour problems such as agression than those who are in family based care.

Then stuff maybe about instutions or something; and hodzges or tizard...
Nooo idea :/
Reply 3
Original post by Consensus94

Im doing well in the Development psychology (we got two diff teachers) and this one puts pressure so i REVISE. however cognitive i will struggle :frown:

Look at past papers and the mark schemes they tend to do the trick for me! and i also go on www.getrevising.co.uk which is useful for me :smile:

12 marks day care will usually ask about the effect on it and how it is on behaviour, like peer relationships or agression.

Field et al found that children who spent full time in day care are more cooperative than those who go part time.....etc etc.
Belsky found that children who attend day care show higher levels of behaviour problems such as agression than those who are in family based care.

Nooo idea :/ :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LondonLT

Nooo idea :/ :smile:

What area of cognitive are you doing? We're doing memory, which is easy but sort of boring - seriously can't wait until we get onto abnormalities in social psychology for psy2.

Our teacher gave us a huge booklet of past questions to go through over crimbo, and some revision packs for developmental and research methods. I think it's lucky we have a teacher who's also an examiner for the paper :biggrin:

Day care is going to be hard to revise, mainly because it's so uninteresting. Institutions are more fun, but we've only been taught hodges and tizard, so sort of screwing over that. We had a mock exam last week, and institutions was the 12 marker - felt like running out the room screaming and crying :frown:

Thanks for the cases, don't think we covered those in lesson. Fingers crossed they won't ask about this in the exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending