Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is Starting Strength any good for mass gains, as well as strength gains?

Is it likely that I will look ripped once I cut down?

I would use the search function, but it's s***.

ReputationRep:
    Yes/yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm using it to build mass/increase my lifts and then go from there with a more advanced routine. But only once my lifts are big!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom360)
    Is Starting Strength any good for mass gains, as well as strength gains?

Is it likely that I will look ripped once I cut down?

I would use the search function, but it's s***.
    If you eat enough, you will get bigger.

Personally, I don't think that many people make enough progress on SS to look good after a cut. Maybe if you're one of these people who can run SS until you have a 500lb squat you'll look good, but they're rare. SS is a beginners routine, so don't expect to look like Arnold after running SS and then cutting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    If you eat enough, you will get bigger.

Personally, I don't think that many people make enough progress on SS to look good after a cut. Maybe if you're one of these people who can run SS until you have a 500lb squat you'll look good, but they're rare. SS is a beginners routine, so don't expect to look like Arnold after running SS and then cutting.
    Out of curiosity, once you have a solid base after a couple of months SS, what are decent programmes to become "big" (hypertrophy)?

ReputationRep:
    FYI, SS is a beginners program but you can and should run it for much more than a couple of months.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceWater)
    Out of curiosity, once you have a solid base after a couple of months SS, what are decent programmes to become "big" (hypertrophy)?
    Westside for Skinny *******s.

Iron Addict's Simple Power Based Routine.

Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine.

5/3/1.

Texas Method.

Plus some others...

ReputationRep:
    Noted, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Try Bill Starr's 5x5 routine

ReputationRep:
    Strength gains yes, mass gains not as much.

But obviously as you get stronger, you will get bigger as well.

Have fun :yy:

ReputationRep:
    What's the average mileage someone can get out of SS (and SS plus assists) in terms of months?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom360)
    What's the average mileage someone can get out of SS (and SS plus assists) in terms of months?
    Done properly (ie; you follow the program as it describes, you eat properly and you get plenty of rest) - 4+ months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWaterfield)
    FWIW, Mark Rippetoe is infamous for adding lots of mass to 1-3 months. Just follow the program and eat properl (and drink your milk).

lulz

That picture is such a load of tosh and it's a complete lie. They can say whatever they want about time periods - unless they put a newspaper dated next to it, they can say whatever; but what they can't lie about is the fact the guy on the left is no way in hell 195 pounds - he looks 170 at best assuming he's about 6'0 tall.

ReputationRep:
    You don't say. I had never thought about that.
    Make it more obvious then - most of this forum know jack and think ss is the best thing since sliced bread.

ReputationRep:
    Well if they actually bothered to read the book (it's free here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/10456641/Starting-Strength ) they'd learn a lot training. It's a good program, especially for a beginner.

I thought it was fairly obvious it was a tongue in cheek post with the "lulz" part on the end. Anyhoo, GL.
    Nice one, can that be saved :erm:.

I hope Rippetoe doesn't follow this thread =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Nice one, can that be saved :erm:.
    You'll need a Scribd account and if it was added a long time ago you might have to pay/subscribe.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure he'd be a bit pissed about it.

I remember when I was thinking about buying it, I saw a guy selling an e-book version on ebay. I think Rippetoe was informed of this guy on his forum and he was raging. He had the seller take down his listing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.