Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've never used Facebook Chat...what sort of things do you talk about? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I've had Facebook for years now and use it quite a bit, but when they created Facebook Chat I turned it to "Off-line" straight away and never used it. I don't know why really.

Sometimes I go online and have a quick look to see which of my friends are also sat at their computers, but then I quickly go off-line again.

Now I really want to use it to talk to my friends but I have some questions I'd like to ask you guys so that I use it like most other people use it and don't come accross like an idiot.

So...

1. How many converations do you normally have going at once? Whats the most you've ever had going at once?

2. How often do you start conversations and how often do you just wait for others to talk to you?

3. What sort of things do you talk about? Is it serious or just chatty/jokey?

4. How long do the conversations last?

5. How do you start/end conversations?

Okay so I know these questions are stupid and I probably sound like a right idiot but please help me out here!

Thanks

x

ReputationRep:
    Anything you'd talk about in a normal conversation or by text, mainly.

Have you never used IM?

ReputationRep:
    it's like a cheap version of msn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Anything you'd talk about in a normal conversation or by text, mainly.

Have you never used IM?
    Yeah I've used MSN but not since I was like 15, when I just used it to gossip with my friends about really stupid things.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, some people are so funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Haha, some people are so funny.
    Yeah I know I sound like a right idiot for posting these questions but I'd rather look like an idiot here rather than in going on fb chat and sounding like a idiot for talking about overly serious/overly studpid things if you get me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahW91)
    Yeah I know I sound like a right idiot for posting these questions but I'd rather look like an idiot here rather than in going on fb chat and sounding like a idiot for talking about overly serious/overly studpid things if you get me

You talk about normal things?

ReputationRep:
    1. Normally about two or three. The most I've ever had was like six which was manic. But it sort of depends how long you're online for, as some people go others will come on and start talking etc.

2. I never, ever start conversations unless it's something urgent. But then I'm a girl and we're weird like that

3. Depends who I'm talking to. Tends to be a mixture - like if I'm talking to people on my course or in my flat (as in people I could easily get to but who are too lazy to walk to me) there's normally a purpose to the conversation ("when was that assignment in for?" "can I nick some chips?"); those one's tend to be quite short and simple. But if you are just having random conversations with friends/guys it's just random rubbish and banter (I cringe to use the word, but basically jokes, poking fun etc.)...it's basically just like texting...

4. Depends again. If it's a 'purposeful' conversation normally about five minutes "Hey how are you?" "I'm fine. You?" "Good. Do you know when X is?" "Yep, it's on Y." "Okay, thanks" End of. But if it's more of a casual conversation could be several hours, depending on what each other is doing. I've had like ten hour conversations with guys when we've left the computer to go and cook etc. and then come straight back haha.

5. Erm....seriously? "Hey. How are you?" And normally "I've got to go now, see you later xx"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet_Heart)
    1. Normally about two or three. The most I've ever had was like six which was manic. But it sort of depends how long you're online for, as some people go others will come on and start talking etc.

2. I never, ever start conversations unless it's something urgent. But then I'm a girl and we're weird like that

3. Depends who I'm talking to. Tends to be a mixture - like if I'm talking to people on my course or in my flat (as in people I could easily get to but who are too lazy to walk to me) there's normally a purpose to the conversation ("when was that assignment in for?" "can I nick some chips?"); those one's tend to be quite short and simple. But if you are just having random conversations with friends/guys it's just random rubbish and banter (I cringe to use the word, but basically jokes, poking fun etc.)...it's basically just like texting...

4. Depends again. If it's a 'purposeful' conversation normally about five minutes "Hey how are you?" "I'm fine. You?" "Good. Do you know when X is?" "Yep, it's on Y." "Okay, thanks" End of. But if it's more of a casual conversation could be several hours, depending on what each other is doing. I've had like ten hour conversations with guys when we've left the computer to go and cook etc. and then come straight back haha.

5. Erm....seriously? "Hey. How are you?" And normally "I've got to go now, see you later xx"
    Thanks for actually answering my questions...I know how silly they sound but I was just wondering.

Anyways thanks again!

x

ReputationRep:
    If I ever use it it's normally -
    -Hey!
    -Hey!!
    -Msn??
    -OK !

ReputationRep:
    FB chat is awful :sigh:

I'll talk to one of my best friends on there if they ask but anybody else I just go offline if they say anything (unless it's important :teehee:) because conversations usually fizzle out awkwardly after 10 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    If I ever use it it's normally -
    -Hey!
    -Hey!!
    -Msn??
    -OK !
    Oh so people still use MSN???

Last time I log in the place was like a graveyard.......I'm guessing most of my friends use Fb instead.

x

ReputationRep:
    MSN is better, I hate FB chat, buggy and cra. Conversations are the usual pointless stuff you say on text/msn/etc.
    Hi
    -HI
    Wuu2?
    -nm u?
    same
    -kk
    ......... awkward silence.

ReputationRep:
    People are still using Facebook :eek:

That's so last year :\

Diaspora + Personal Website FTWx !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    People are still using Facebook :eek:

That's so last year :\

Diaspora + Personal Website FTWx !
    I hope this is a joke :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron.F)
    I hope this is a joke :P
    Of course it is

ReputationRep:
    1. Probably 3, if it exceeded that I'd just come up with some excuse to go offline.

2. Well, I don't really *wait* for a conversation to occur. If I want to talk to someone, I'll initiate conversation, if they want to talk to me, they will. I usually have Facebook just open in another tab an check the news feed every 20 minutes or so inbetween browsing other sites, and occasionally someone will message me- the objective of Facebook being open isn't for conversation to occur, is what I'm trying to say(for me).

3. I'll usually message a friend when they make a status update that seems distressed in whatever way, unless it's just a *****y thing. Sometimes it gets serious and sometimes it deviates into a chatty conversation.

4. It varies. Sometimes they'll be an hour with no interruptions, and sometimes it'll be over the course of a day with interruptions over the period of several hours. What you don't want to do is end up messaging someone every day and not letting the conversation die. It honestly puts me off talking to the person not only online but also offline.

5. 'Hey '(or with one specific friend, 'Yoyoyoyo!'[idk why]) and 'Bye'/'Cya :P'/'Gtg '/etc. you don't really need an excuse tbh with FB when you want to end a conversation, unlike msn(I find). Also, a lot of the time, conversations will just die after 20 minutes of inactivity and people will sign off without saying bye. As I said in point 4, I think it's important to let the conversations die, I find intolerable when I'm forced to engage in small talk over FB .

EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I barely use it. I will use it if I have something I'd like a reply for and the person's online. So maybe if I wanted to ask a question. Or tell them something quickly. I'd use that if they were online rather than their wall, but I'd use the wall for silly things like links.

I don't use fb chat that much though, it's just a bit convenient if I want to talk to someone and they happen to be online.

I guess you could say I use it for the same things I might text for. I don't start up chats without a purpose on there, unless I haven't spoken to that person in ages. But then I'd probably prefer messages anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I barely use it. I will use it if I have something I'd like a reply for and the person's online. So maybe if I wanted to ask a question. Or tell them something quickly. I'd use that if they were online rather than their wall, but I'd use the wall for silly things like links.

I don't use fb chat that much though, it's just a bit convenient if I want to talk to someone and they happen to be online.

I guess you could say I use it for the same things I might text for. I don't start up chats without a purpose on there, unless I haven't spoken to that person in ages. But then I'd probably prefer messages anyway.

ReputationRep:
    lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.