Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has Anyone Tried Numbing Cream For A Tattoo? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am having my first tattoo on friday, and tbh I'm absolutely terrified. I'm having it on my foot which I've heard is one of the worst places pain wise. I've bought some numbing cream called Emla. I know this probably won't make it painless, but will hopefully take the edge of and make it bearable. Basically what I'm wanting to know, has anyone used this cream or something similar and how was it? Or has anyone had a tattoo on their foot and how painful was it without being numbed or anything? I realise i'm pathetic haha x

ReputationRep:
    I've had an IV put in my hand after being numbed by EMLA, and that was painless. Can't say if it'd work so well for a tattoo or be a good idea though.

ReputationRep:
    Numbing cream increases the chance of an infection, I'd advise you to man up and take the pain, it's all part of getting a tattoo. I've got two, and I'm 15. Yes, they hurt. But it's not agony!

ReputationRep:
    Most reputable tattoo studios won't let you use creams etc. Like was said above, they ^chance of infection. The numbing cream used for putting in IV's is prescription only and used for healthcare only. You need to just deal with the pain. Its not that bad tbh and really if you're not prepared to deal with it then you shouldn't be having a tattoo. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    man up

ReputationRep:
    If you can't handle the pain, then don't get a tattoo. Anything you put on before the tattoo is going to increase the chances of infection, and no reputable tattoo artist will tattoo you if you have it on.

I've had a tattoo on my foot - yes it hurts, but it's not absolutely terrible. Just make sure you eat and drink enough beforehand.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.