Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we have another fee hike in a few years? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, I've heard alot of people touch on the prospect of fees getting even higher in the future. In a relatively short time period we've gone from no fees to fees to 3k fees to 9k fees, so us lovely pessimists could argue that another one is also on the cards within the next few years.

Thoughts?

Oh, and I know this is just pointless speculation, BUT I LIKE POINTLESS SPECULATION. D:<

ReputationRep:
    It's doubtful, the original proposals were for no upper limit, which could've meant unis charging 15k or whatever they wanted, it was the nasty Lib Dems who made sure the upper limit was fixed

Students should be thanking them instead of whinging about their supposed broken promises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    It's doubtful, the original proposals were for no upper limit, which could've meant unis charging 15k or whatever they wanted, it was the nasty Lib Dems who made sure the upper limit was fixed

Students should be thanking them instead of whinging about their supposed broken promises
    The lesser of two evils right?

Truth be told the policy is completely unnecessary and based on nothing more than Conservative ideology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimme More)

Truth be told the policy is completely unnecessary and based on nothing more than Conservative ideology.
    Truth be told the country can't afford to subsidise 40% of the population to go to university, that's why Labour introduced fees in the first place and why they commissioned the independent report these hike in fees are based on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    In a relatively short time period we've gone from no fees to fees to 3k fees to 9k fees, so us lovely pessimists could argue that another one is also on the cards within the next few years.
    Yeah a pattern definitely emerges does it not?

I think that's what we'll be looking at eventually - in a few years when everyone's forgotten that this rise was supposed to be the once and forever solution.

ReputationRep:
    Truth be told the country can't afford to subsidise 40% of the population to go to university, that's why Labour introduced fees in the first place and why they commissioned the independent report these hike in fees are based on
    Truth be told the government is going to be losing as much money as it has been for at least the next 5-10 years as it still lends us the money to make up for the money they're no longer giving the universities. By the time my little brothers start paying back enough money to contribute towards the raised student loans the next government will be in power and they'll be trying out some new way to **** everything up. The solution of raising fees isn't a solution at all (although a graduate tax isn't much of one either) and is being used mostly on ideology grounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Truth be told the government is going to be losing as much money as it has been for at least the next 5-10 years as it still lends us the money to make up for the money they're no longer giving the universities. By the time my little brothers start paying back enough money to contribute towards the raised student loans the next government will be in power and they'll be trying out some new way to **** everything up. The solution of raising fees isn't a solution at all (although a graduate tax isn't much of one either) and is being used mostly on ideology grounds.
    But at the very least the people who went to uni in that time will pay back the fees at some point in the future and hence save the tax payer a fairly large amount of cash; it is nice to have a government that has a policy which won't provide them with more cash in the present but may actually help create a sustainable system that saves money in the future (as opposed to one that borrows massively during boom years saying things like "i've abolished boom and bust" and then leaves us with the largest deficit in europe exc. ireland)!

Rather than stating highly contentious conclusions without any justification would you care to share any of your wisdom about the problems with this system and potential other options?

ReputationRep:

Do you even know what that means?

ReputationRep:
    [/B]

Do you even know what that means?
    Why wouldn't he?

Try to understand what these demonstrations prove!

You probably expect a certain demographic to react a certain way to a particular set of stimuli, and yet certain control groups are running roughshod over your assumptions.

You can't just decide to do something which will affect more people than those you mean to target, and hope those innocent bystanders will accept your action based on so flimsy an allegiance.

People are poor. They're competing in their own towns, cities and homeland, for jobs and housing with people who were born in Soviet Europe. And now, on top of this your government implements an inhuman rise in tution fees to ensure these people have no chance of a decent education either.

Why do you still expect loyalty or sympathy from them?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon in the not too distant future, theyll start charging money for a-levels. I bet the gov will come off with some statements within the next 5-10 years about lack of funding for post 16 secondary school education ie a-levels.
    People at sixth form or college doing a levels will have to take out a loan etc.

Just a prediction, hopefully im wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    I reckon in the not too distant future, theyll start charging money for a-levels. I bet the gov will come off with some statements within the next 5-10 years about lack of funding for post 16 secondary school education ie a-levels.
    People at sixth form or college doing a levels will have to take out a loan etc.

Just a prediction, hopefully im wrong
    As they have made it compulsary to stay in education until 18 that would be unethical.

Inevitably however the cap on university tuition fees will be raised and eventually removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    So yeah, I've heard alot of people touch on the prospect of fees getting even higher in the future. In a relatively short time period we've gone from no fees to fees to 3k fees to 9k fees, so us lovely pessimists could argue that another one is also on the cards within the next few years.

Thoughts?

Oh, and I know this is just pointless speculation, BUT I LIKE POINTLESS SPECULATION. D:<
    It's unlikely, unless the government starts trying to push the academic bar for university entry ever lower to get more students in.
    With the number of students going to university these days, we just can't afford to subsidise it to the extent we used to. Having students pay their own fees, with unbelievably generous loan terms and nothing to pay up front, is the lesser evil.

(Original post by Gimme More)

Actually, it's based on the Browne report, which was comissioned by your beloved Labour party, with a view to enacting its suggestions.
    So in actual fact, Labour would likely have done exactly the same thing.

If you can't piece together a paragraph which could be in any way described as part of a cogent politcal debate, maybe you should think about paths besides university anyway.

As for the finances aspect, the student loan book is classed as a government asset, and the packages of loans can in fact be sold on to financial institutions immediately, so if the government has short term financing issues it can sell the loans on. If it keeps them, then in the long term I would have thought it would be blatantly obvious why the loans increase will leave the government better off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.