Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello i got 1A,&7bs and 4 Cs at GCSE's i was just wondering have i failed/ruined my life. Also what are the average 2010 results and can i possbily compete for universitys places with people who got A*?
    A=Geography
    3b's= ICT
    b= business studies
    b= RE
    2b's= Science
    4C's= English lit and language, history and maths

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you have certainly NOT ruined your life. You can apply for pretty much any University course in your second year at College. I'm not sure about the average GCSE results for this year, but I expect it's probably somewhere between 5 C's and 5 B's.

ReputationRep:
    C grades for English and Maths will rule out several more competitive university courses, but you have by no means "ruined your life".

ReputationRep:
    By "ruining your life" you mean oxbridge and the benefits from that then the ultimatum is... Yes.

However, Russell Group universities are perfectly within your grasp if you strive for a subject you got A/Bs in and work until your brain melts in your A level. Although the Cs in English Language and Mathematics may haunt you when applying for job. I would have put top priority on them in the GCSE years tbh.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a hard worker you can do a lot of stuff.
    If you're not, then you have to be really intelligent.

Let's hope you're a hard worker.

ReputationRep:
    o.O and what if i'm relatively bright but by no means a hardworker

always ask myself that question ^^ .. because i'm really motivated in class and when teacher ask questions i'm one of them who always raise the hand and has the answer ( or a half right answer ^^)

BUT then when they ask for homework I directly shut up and look at the ground because I HAVEN'T DONE THEM!...

I came trough most years by doing the work in lunchtime/breaks.. as it was not that much... but since this year started i'm looking forward to always do the homework.. at HOME as the name suggests ^^.. no matter how boring it is or if i understand it or not ^^

ReputationRep:
    do you think i should retake the english and maybe history becuase im confident i could get A's or B's, i only got C's because i couldnt do a higher paper?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should retake English Lit, and Lang, and Maths for sure.
    History if you desire, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ok but im also doing A-levels so i dont want to fall behind. Im happy with my maths one because i dont think i could get a a and with a lit of work i might be able to get a B but it would just put me too far behind so i might just doe English and History. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    I think you should retake English Lit, and Lang, and Maths for sure.
    History if you desire, as well.
    and how much would that cost, out of curiosity ofc? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awais590)
    and how much would that cost, out of curiosity ofc? :confused:
    Contact your local centre? e.g your old school, or a local college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Contact your local centre? e.g your old school, or a local college?
    Well, say one is on a gap year and he/she would like to resit some GCSEs? I would say quite expensive as I highly doubt schools would allow an 18 year old to 'sit in', no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voller1994)
    Ok but im also doing A-levels so i dont want to fall behind. Im happy with my maths one because i dont think i could get a a and with a lit of work i might be able to get a B but it would just put me too far behind so i might just doe English and History. What do you think?
    You don't need to get an A, get a B if you are unable to get an A.

Also, retaking a Maths GCSE would pose no problems, however, English Lit and Lang have coursework components (written and spoken).

You may have to find a solely exam based Eng Lit and Lang qualification.

-----

At Awais, yes, I would imagine it would be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Ok and i have already done the Coursework, both speaking and written, so i would just need to re take the exam. Also i wasnt on about retaking A-levels just to clear that up.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, then the retaking of both English Lit and Lang is viable.

Good luck! If you do the AQA spec, I can help you.

ReputationRep:
    How could you help me with the AQA specification? and yeah thats my exam board

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.