Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many people such idiots? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since the start of the protests and such in regards to the tuition fee increases, many TV interviews contain 'students' (so they claim) stating 'I cannot afford to go to uni now'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as before, uni fees will be paid by the government as the student receives a loan that is then paid back once they have a job that earns above the threshold that is set.

It seems embarrassing that so many people seem to say they can't afford it, when they don't have to pay up-front.

spaak far yaarsalf

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, lots of people seem to be making that mistake, but if someone said to you that you'll likely be at least £30,000 in debt by student fees alone, and a further £12,000 in debt for living costs, so the idea of £42,000 odd thousand would likely make many people think '****, I can't afford uni if it's going to cost that much'. They may think it'll take forever to pay back, and uni just isn't worth it any more.

ReputationRep:
      I wouldn't call them idiots, mainly just naive, ignorant and/or lazy - not that that's much better!

You are right, everyone can afford it, it's just a question of whether they are happy enough to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
      Considering the average extra earnings over a lifetime are something like £40 grand for an arts student, and you can expect to be anywhere up to £50 grand in debt at the end of uni, for some people this new system is not going to pay off.

ReputationRep:
      This is like the 5th thread I've seen so far on this same topic :nothing:

ReputationRep:
      A dan't knaw what yaa'ra talkang abaat. Yaa'ra nat makang mach sansa A'm afraad. Parhaps af yaa translatad ta samathang a lattla aasaar ta camprahand? That waald ba avar sa halpfal, thanks an advanca.

ReputationRep:
      Students feel that Higher education is their right. They feel that they should'nt have to be eye ball deep in debt after they graduate for making use of their right to higher education. Its a matter of principles for many not finances.

ReputationRep:
      Maybe naive/ignorant is better way to describe it.

However, £40,000 debt in return for say, a £100,000 a year is worth the risk. When the loans you receive from student finance are alot softer than those you'll receive in the rest of life. I doubt there's any other that say earn under 15,000, don't pay us back.

If the government don't make cuts on education such as Uni, more important services such as health could be cut, which i'm sure would lead to a much larger percentage of the population to complain. And if they stopped cuts and carried on paying for university students the economy would go down the drain. People would be able to get degrees, but then there'd be few jobs to work to earn an income.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Azzzzzzza)
      Maybe naive/ignorant is better way to describe it.

However, £40,000 debt in return for say, a £100,000 a year is worth the risk. When the loans you receive from student finance are alot softer than those you'll receive in the rest of life. I doubt there's any other that say earn under 15,000, don't pay us back.

If the government don't make cuts on education such as Uni, more important services such as health could be cut, which i'm sure would lead to a much larger percentage of the population to complain. And if they stopped cuts and carried on paying for university students the economy would go down the drain. People would be able to get degrees, but then there'd be few jobs to work to earn an income.
      £100,000 a year? Where's this number coming from? Hardly any university graduates earn quite that much!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by warhol)
      £100,000 a year? Where's this number coming from? Hardly any university graduates earn quite that much!
      It was an example if you read my post

ReputationRep:
      These people miss the point. It isn't that they can't afford uni, its that uni is not worth the investment for them. My course for example is not worth more than I pay.

ReputationRep:
      The point is, so many people claim they cannot afford university. Which is entirely wrong, it's a fact they can.

Whether they want to is up to them, they have the opportunity so they should take it or leave it. Destroying things in London certainly doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by warhol)
      actually....quite a lot of people earn 100K+....

consultants, IB, lawyers doctors, some engineers, some architects etc.

others such as pharmacists etc. also come very very close

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by infernalcradle)
      actually....quite a lot of people earn 100K+....

consultants, IB, lawyers doctors, some engineers, some architects etc.

others such as pharmacists etc. also come very very close

Well most of those you just listed are the minority vocational degrees; you can't believe that the average university graduate earns 100K a year.
      The whole point of the students' arguments is that there's less incentive to take a less useful degree, in say, arts/humanities because, as they won't be earning a lot, it will be more difficult to pay off. And there are far fewer students taking vocational degrees than non.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lella_m)
      A dan't knaw what yaa'ra talkang abaat. Yaa'ra nat makang mach sansa A'm afraad. Parhaps af yaa translatad ta samathang a lattla aasaar ta camprahand? That waald ba avar sa halpfal, thanks an advanca.
      im guessing there is some in-joke with the aaas?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phillipsherman)
      im guessing there is some in-joke with the aaas?
      A dan't knaw what yaa'ra talkang abaat.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lella_m)
      A dan't knaw what yaa'ra talkang abaat.
      Dont be mean I'm curious now!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Phillipsherman)
      Dont be mean I'm curious now!
      A hanastly hava absalataly na adaa what yaa'ra talkang abaat at all. A'm sarry A cannat ba af mach halp far yaa.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by barrze)
      These people miss the point. It isn't that they can't afford uni, its that uni is not worth the investment for them. My course for example is not worth more than I pay.
      Then the don't do that course, choose one that you think is worth it or get a job.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.