Turn on thread page Beta

Chances of getting a refund? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what you would all think about this:

I bought a pair of suede gloves from Monsoon 6 weeks ago (I do not have the receipt but have a bank statement), they were fairly expensive (about £22 I think) and I justified it because I figured a pair of 'proper' gloves like that instead of a cheap wooly pair would last me several winters.

They've been well cared for since I've had them, obviously haven't done anything 'silly' in them (e.g getting them wet or anything) however, today I noticed that there are FOUR holes in them. One in the finger and 3 others in the gaps between the fingers, essentially where the seems have broken apart.

My hands are not too big for them so I can only put this down to bad design and them not being very well-made.

I'm just wondering whether people think I'll be eligible for a refund, as they've been worn but are obviously not good quality... do you think they would?

ReputationRep:
    You have proof of purchase and the goods are not of a reasonable quality. I think legally the shop can offer you a replacement and not a refund if they choose, but I suspect the company would prefer a no quibble refund if you'd prefer that to save face.

Ask to talk to a manager if you can, and write to head office if they get arsey about a lack of receipt, but I think a clued up staff should offer a refund with no real bother.

ReputationRep:
    possibly. if you make enough of a fuss. monsoon/acessorise gloves are crap. they get holes so quickly

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, also - I don't get post statements so do you think a print out of my bank statement online will be OK? (I guess if I go to the bank I can request one on letterhead if they get arsey?)

I really don't want an exchange cos a) Don't trust the quality and b) I have seen an almost identical pair for cheaper in Fenwicks that look better quality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    Just wondering what you would all think about this:

I bought a pair of suede gloves from Monsoon 6 weeks ago (I do not have the receipt but have a bank statement), they were fairly expensive (about £22 I think) and I justified it because I figured a pair of 'proper' gloves like that instead of a cheap wooly pair would last me several winters.

They've been well cared for since I've had them, obviously haven't done anything 'silly' in them (e.g getting them wet or anything) however, today I noticed that there are FOUR holes in them. One in the finger and 3 others in the gaps between the fingers, essentially where the seems have broken apart.

My hands are not too big for them so I can only put this down to bad design and them not being very well-made.

I'm just wondering whether people think I'll be eligible for a refund, as they've been worn but are obviously not good quality... do you think they would?
    you can try but I highly doubt it as 6 weeks is long period of time. Usually you have 1-2 weeks to return the purchase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    So you do want a refund.
    Ooops, meant don't want an exchange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    you can try but I highly doubt it as 6 weeks is long period of time. Usually you have 1-2 weeks to return the purchase.
    I thought it ws about 28 days?

Anyway I think they will argue that 6 weeks is long enough for them to say that they could have been worn out... Ridiculous but likely.

Also, remember that the assistants who work there aren't going to care about the quality and will have to follow strict roles on refunds. So perhaps you would be better making a direct complaint to Monsoon rather than telling somebody who has no say in the matter?

Just a thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    I thought it ws about 28 days?

Anyway I think they will argue that 6 weeks is long enough for them to say that they could have been worn out... Ridiculous but likely.

Also, remember that the assistants who work there aren't going to care about the quality and will have to follow strict roles on refunds. So perhaps you would be better making a direct complaint to Monsoon rather than telling somebody who has no say in the matter?

Just a thought
    Hmm yeah, I'm a little worried that its too long, but tbh if I bought a pair of quality shoes I wouldn't expect them to start falling apart after that amount of time. I think with any 'expensive' purchase such as a coat or something you'd expect them to last.

I'm thinking of just trying to play the 'This shop is usually good quality and I'm upset that these are not up to scratch with the rest of your products' card, after all, Monsoon is a fairly expensive shop.

Really hope I can because if not I've just wasted £20 on a pair of crap gloves that will have to go in the bin, I'm very annoyed cos I've taken good care of them hoping they would last a few winters, not just half of one!

ReputationRep:
    I think that if they do anything, then it will be an exchange for the same item. A refund seems very very unlikely tbch.

If your purchase is out of date, with no receipt - then I doubt they will do anything instore. Unless you get someone really nice.

At work (Nike - slightly relevant as its apparel aswell as footwear) without a receipt we can't do anything.

Tell us how it goes eh? All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nayberay)
    I think that if they do anything, then it will be an exchange for the same item. A refund seems very very unlikely tbch.

If your purchase is out of date, with no receipt - then I doubt they will do anything instore. Unless you get someone really nice.

At work (Nike - slightly relevant as its apparel aswell as footwear) without a receipt we can't do anything.

Tell us how it goes eh? All the best.
    I do have a bank statement though, I work at Clarks and that counts are a receipt for us (also, we'd exchange a pair of shoes that were 6 weeks old and broken with no quibble at all, but maybe thats because we consider ourselves to be a quality retailer and somewhere you can go to get something that will last a long time, just hoping Monsoon feel the same!)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, also - I don't get post statements so do you think a print out of my bank statement online will be OK? (I guess if I go to the bank I can request one on letterhead if they get arsey?)

I really don't want an exchange cos a) Don't trust the quality and b) I have seen an almost identical pair for cheaper in Fenwicks that look better quality!
    I work in retail and if a product is faulty you will probably get an exchange but not a refund. 6 weeks is passed the 28 days so a manager will be the only person able to sort it out

ReputationRep:
    Hmm yeah, I'm a little worried that its too long, but tbh if I bought a pair of quality shoes I wouldn't expect them to start falling apart after that amount of time. I think with any 'expensive' purchase such as a coat or something you'd expect them to last.

I'm thinking of just trying to play the 'This shop is usually good quality and I'm upset that these are not up to scratch with the rest of your products' card, after all, Monsoon is a fairly expensive shop.

Really hope I can because if not I've just wasted £20 on a pair of crap gloves that will have to go in the bin, I'm very annoyed cos I've taken good care of them hoping they would last a few winters, not just half of one!
    Agreed! Yeh it's definitely worth playing the 'Usually such good quality!' card. OOI, have you checked their website for info about faulty items?

ReputationRep:
    I do have a bank statement though, I work at Clarks and that counts are a receipt for us (also, we'd exchange a pair of shoes that were 6 weeks old and broken with no quibble at all, but maybe thats because we consider ourselves to be a quality retailer and somewhere you can go to get something that will last a long time, just hoping Monsoon feel the same!)
    The only way we do it at NikeTown is via receipt or looking through the system to check the transaction.

To be fair though, I see them giving you an exchange. If it was within the right timeframe (28 days) then yeah but unless they've been getting the same complaints issues about it from various customers/ they have a really understanding manager I doubt you'll get a refund. I dunno about it when it comes to obligations etc but all I know is that is a bit of a bummer if you've had them for 6 weeks , I can see potential loopholes on their part, which could prevent you getting a refund.

Its £20 - So I don't know what stance they'll take - Its not like its a majorly expensive item, but get yourself down the your local Monsoon and see what they say, all we're doing is speculating here really.

All the best. Let us know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed! Yeh it's definitely worth playing the 'Usually such good quality!' card. OOI, have you checked their website for info about faulty items?
    I did that recently with a pair of shoes. Worked out a treat.
    You could have a good chance, esp, as there are a lot of Xmas temps in shops around now, and they don't want annoyed customer hassle.

PS. Hey Shorty! Did you get my last message, dunno if it sent or not?
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I looked but it all refers to online orders returns.

Did find out though that they're pretty strong on their ethical issues and making sure things don't end up in landfills. They have a scheme where you can take back a Monsoon garment secondhand and they'll give you £10 off a new purchase, and then recycle the old garment. I think this shows that they should care about making quality products that aren't just throwaway things, so I think if I say that I should get a refund.

I also just spoke to my friend who used to work for them and he says he thinks I'll get a refund easy peasy. So wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    I did that recently with a pair of shoes. Worked out a treat.
    You could have a good chance, esp, as there are a lot of Xmas temps in shops around now, and they don't want annoyed customer hassle.

PS. Hey Shorty! Did you get my last message, dunno if it sent or not?
    :rolleyes:
    :dancing: Polaroid!!!

:O Are you hijacking this thread??

I agree though, Christmas temps... busy time... don't want hassle...

ReputationRep:
    I currently work at Monsoon in Central London.

I have been for the past 7 months.

I guarantee you won't get a refund, a woman the other week came back with a similar story about a scarf, she had no receipt and she demanded to see the manager, the manager just about gave her a credit note for the store.

You are very unlikely to get a refund, as we can't issue out refunds only senior staff and managers can and you'll likely get a store credit note. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roflhahalol)
    I currently work at Monsoon in Central London.

I have been for the past 7 months.

I guarantee you won't get a refund, a woman the other week came back with a similar story about a scarf, she had no receipt and she demanded to see the manager, the manager just about gave her a credit note for the store.

You are very unlikely to get a refund, as we can't issue out refunds only senior staff and managers can and you'll likely get a store credit note. Hope that helps.
    Hmm, so you reckon I might get an exchange then? Thats better than nothing, I just worry it will happen again :erm: But I'd be happy with an exchange as its better than nothing (and if I remember to keep my receipt this time and the same thing happend again a month down the line, I presume I could still take them back?)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so you reckon I might get an exchange then? Thats better than nothing, I just worry it will happen again :erm: But I'd be happy with an exchange as its better than nothing (and if I remember to keep my receipt this time and the same thing happend again a month down the line, I presume I could still take them back?)
    I'm almost certain that will happen - An exchange/credit note, if it was a case where us as normal sales staff could issue refunds then you'd probably not have a problem potentially depending on who you got.

But as you have no receipt, and you didn't come back earlier within the allotted time then thats all I see happening.

Why not go for the credit note, save it for whatever and then buy the other gloves you saw in this other store?

ReputationRep:
    I looked but it all refers to online orders returns.

Did find out though that they're pretty strong on their ethical issues and making sure things don't end up in landfills. They have a scheme where you can take back a Monsoon garment secondhand and they'll give you £10 off a new purchase, and then recycle the old garment. I think this shows that they should care about making quality products that aren't just throwaway things, so I think if I say that I should get a refund.

I also just spoke to my friend who used to work for them and he says he thinks I'll get a refund easy peasy. So wish me luck!
    Sounds promising Let us know how it goes, if only for future reference

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.