The Student Room Group

Homeless people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Converse
Nah you didn't offend me.

How did you get out of the street scenario? (Sorry I am intrigued now)

Ah you're fine. My mum found out that he actually did abuse me and she "let" me back in to the house. It wasn't ideal, but far more ideal than people throwing eaten KFC at you and calling you a skank! But from there I went and got in to college and I'm now at uni doing social work to help others :smile:
Reply 61
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
Ah you're fine. My mum found out that he actually did abuse me and she "let" me back in to the house. It wasn't ideal, but far more ideal than people throwing eaten KFC at you and calling you a skank! But from there I went and got in to college and I'm now at uni doing social work to help others :smile:

Sounds like you had it pretty hard. At least your OK now though.:biggrin:
Well done for making something of yourself:smile:

My views towards the homeless may be changing slightly:colondollar:
Sounds like you had it pretty hard. At least your OK now though.:biggrin:
Well done for making something of yourself:smile:

My views towards the homeless may be changing slightly:colondollar:

Thanks :smile: and I've met people who have had it harder so =/

Ah good, I don't want to make people run out there with cookies and blankets and say come back to my house but just to understand that it's not all black and white :smile:
I walk straight past them and give an apologetic smile. As if to say, yeah I can see you're in the gutter, and i'm perfectly fine but i'm not going to help you anyway.

I know that's horrible, but charity starts at home, and alot of homeless people have secret money stashed away. Or they could be druggies/alcoholics. I seen someone homeless once who had a cap in front of him with coppers in. I saw him dig in his back pocket and accidentally pull out a few notes :/ oh and he was also kitted out in designer clothes. Mmmmhmmm.
Reply 64
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
Thanks :smile: and I've met people who have had it harder so =/

Ah good, I don't want to make people run out there with cookies and blankets and say come back to my house but just to understand that it's not all black and white :smile:

You've succeeded. xD
Original post by CookieDoughLove
I walk straight past them and give an apologetic smile. As if to say, yeah I can see you're in the gutter, and i'm perfectly fine but i'm not going to help you anyway.

I know that's horrible, but charity starts at home, and alot of homeless people have secret money stashed away. Or they could be druggies/alcoholics. I seen someone homeless once who had a cap in front of him with coppers in. I saw him dig in his back pocket and accidentally pull out a few notes :/ oh and he was also kitted out in designer clothes. Mmmmhmmm.

:facepalm:
You've succeeded. xD

Thanks my sweet :smile:
Reply 67
I walk towards them, fish around in my pocket pretending to be looking for change, then take out an empty fist and walk away. The look of crushed hope on their faces cracks me up every time. Occasionally I take out my home keys and wave it around them, just for the extra amusement.
After seeing an advert for that show on BBC3 (How not to live your life?) I figured I should ask: anyone ever fancied a homeless person?
Reply 69
this is very politically incorrect, and I am displeased!
Reply 70
Original post by ish90an
I walk towards them, fish around in my pocket pretending to be looking for change, then take out an empty fist and walk away. The look of crushed hope on their faces cracks me up every time. Occasionally I take out my home keys and wave it around them, just for the extra amusement.

That joke was utterly sick, but I wont lie, it had me rolling..:ashamed2:
Reply 71
Original post by theths
oh, by a handout i meant you physically mosey upto a street corner with food/clothing supplies, if you do it on the regular the homeless just come to you :smile:

yeah, there is a big stigma surrounding them, whether they are substance abusers or not (i'm told that they apparently are, in cambridge anyway)

haha you're arguing that addiction is rational :smile: which it is..to their drug-addled brain. i would want to at least attempt to give them supplies in the form of food etc. rather than money

Ahh, sorry, thought you meant money-wise to Charities. :wink: My mistake. :p:

Agreed that there is a stigma, though. In Cumbria its really quite bad, but then again most of the people up here are very, very against them actually. There's a place they regularly stand to sell the Big Issue, and when I'm town with mates, the amount of stick they get is quite appalling, really. Most of them are just down on their luck, but as with any group, its the bad one's in it that have their traits pinned onto the group. Such as Gypsies with stealing, even though all the Gypsies I've met are really very nice. Still, just an example.

I suppose I'd probably try and give them food too. Still, oddly there are some who outright refuse handouts altogether. There's a well known local homeless guy called James, and if you offer him anything he'll refuse. Nicely, but refuse nonetheless. Suppose it must be quite demoralizing to some to feel so needy on others.
Reply 72
Original post by History-Student
After seeing an advert for that show on BBC3 (How not to live your life?) I figured I should ask: anyone ever fancied a homeless person?

iT SURE HAPPENS.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/handsome-chinese-vagrant-draws-fans-of-homeless-chic-1915812.html
Original post by Kaykiie
I was thrown out of my house when I'd just turned 17 and was put on the homeless list but was never offered any accommodation. I was taken into Women's Aid and then I rented a room in a shared house after I'd been given special consideration by the council (in order to receive income support & housing benefit). I did my A Levels and I'm now in my second year of University (took myself off income support just after I finished A Levels).

So whilst I had a lot of help to find my way, it goes to show that there are plenty of homeless people who aren't drug addicts or alcoholics :smile:

Well sorry to hear that happend but glad to hear you are on the right track. Yours is an incredible story.
Original post by CookieDoughLove

Designer clothes and a few notes doesn't mean you're not genuinely homeless* - besides, if his hat was full of notes no one would give him any money in the first place! Of course, we don't know where he's getting the notes from, but my bet is that he's a Big Issue seller - you can make a lot of money from selling the Big Issue if you do it with the right attitude! A lot of Big Issue sellers beg outside of "working" hours, which is fine as long as they don't wear Big Issue tabards whilst doing it or sell the Issue at the same time.

*I know a girl who spent all her Big Issue earnings on nice clothes and nice haircuts - she didn't have much else going for her, but at least she was proud of her appearance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 75

You are an inspiration to the others, well done. Also, why did you get kicked out?

I was thrown out because my parent didn't like my boyfriend and I refused to dump him. There was no reason for her to dislike him so I was thrown out for no reason really. I haven't been back for over 3 years.
If I was going to give them anything it'd be food or a hot drink, not money as I'm just cynical about what it's going to go on.
Reply 77
Original post by Kaykiie
I was thrown out because my parent didn't like my boyfriend and I refused to dump him. There was no reason for her to dislike him so I was thrown out for no reason really. I haven't been back for over 3 years.

That's pretty harsh.. Any hope of reconciliation?
Original post by RightSaidJames
Designer clothes and a few notes doesn't mean you're not genuinely homeless* - besides, if his hat was full of notes no one would give him any money in the first place! Of course, we don't know where he's getting the notes from, but my bet is that he's a Big Issue seller - you can make a lot of money from selling the Big Issue if you do it with the right attitude! A lot of Big Issue sellers beg outside of "working" hours, which is fine as long as they don't wear Big Issue tabards whilst doing it or sell the Issue at the same time.

*I know a girl who spent all her Big Issue earnings on nice clothes and nice haircuts - she didn't have much else going for her, but at least she was proud of her appearance.

Well if they had all of those notes then they have more money than me!
Reply 79

That's pretty harsh.. Any hope of reconciliation?

There's a lot more (a ridiculous amount more) which I've gone into before on this site and don't have the energy to go into the reasons why I don't speak to her anymore again :smile:

Lets just say some of the things she said and did were terrible and you would find it hard to go back too. I hope there's a reconciliation in the future but right now I want to get my degree and get onto a PGCE. Reconciling now would definitely equal messing my degree up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending