The Student Room Group

Who here enjoyed seeing charles and camilla squirm?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The best thing about it was when BBC News interviewed some guy that actually said "I saw Prince Charles, I think he was shopping." I could not stop laughing.

As if the future King of England would mooch around Oxford Street.

I wouldn't call myself a Royalist at all, but I think the whole thing was massively disrespectful.
Reply 21
Original post by gladders
Because monarchy isn't anything to do with backwardsness or lack of civilisation. Has it not occurred to you that most of the countries considered most democratic and with the high quality of life and narrowest wealth gap are monarchies?

Firstly, Charles is the Head of State to be. It's the same as the US Vice president.

Secondly, we've had as much choice about having a monarchy as people in the US have had a choice about being governed by the US Constitution. Both were ratified by people centuries ago and altered and adjusted here and there every now and then; but nobody in living memory has had a vote on any of them.

when the current monachy family were chosen to be the kings and queens of Britain only the extremely rich were allowed to vote and they were only made the monachy because the previous monachy had left no heirs and parliment wanted to keep the monachy protestant
Reply 22
Original post by Struggle
First of all, you will not find me defending the United States. Any system based on class-division cannot have a genuine democracy.

"In a world marked by profound class divisions and social inequality, to talk about 'democracy'— without talking about the class nature of that democracy and which class it serves—is meaningless, and worse. So long as society is divided into classes, there can be no 'democracy for all': one class or another will rule, and it will uphold and promote that kind of democracy which serves its interests and goals." - Bob Avakian

Utter Marxist drivel.

Depending on ones definition of 'backward';
The monarchy has everything to do with backwardness. The very reason it was restored was because of nationalism and the notion of following tradition; both using no context of progression. - If one does not reach out to progress, one can only go backward.

The monarchy was restored in 1660 for a number of reasons, far more complex than simply harking to tradition and nationalism. Parliament had proved itself incapable of governing effectively and was frankly relieved to give the king back his prerogatives. The hope was that the lessons of the civil war and the commonwealth gave each institution and appreciation of their own priorities. This worked until James II, and then Parliament took a different tack.

"Has it not occurred to you that most of the countries considered most democratic and with the high quality of life and narrowest wealth gap are monarchies?"

Please source this, as I think you are simply speculating.

Sure! List of countries by Human Development Index

11 monarchies in the top 20. No monarchies in bottom 20.

Democracy Index

11 monarchies in top 20. Two monarchies at bottom 20.

Standard of life is usually measured by life-expectancy rate, and unfortunately, your claims are not backed up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy
And before you rightfully dispute Wikipedia, all the statistics have been backed up in the bibliography.

Excellent list! In the top twenty alone, I can count ten monarchies, with a monarchy at #1.

No monarchies in bottom 20.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Jacktri
when the current monachy family were chosen to be the kings and queens of Britain only the extremely rich were allowed to vote and they were only made the monachy because the previous monachy had left no heirs and parliment wanted to keep the monachy protestant

And when the US Constitution was ratified, black people and Indians were disenfranchised, and blacks considered property. It's the same.

It makes no difference anyway - the fact is, in both countries, neither generation has chosen their constitution. That said, there's pretty much no doubt the Queen would win an election effortlessly if we had one tomorrow.
I can't see anything wrong with your poll... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending