Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Self-Cut 'Do' (and cutting one's own hair in general) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

So, temporarily discounting my fantastic ugliness (which is of course widely documented elsewhere on TSR); have I actually saved myself a truly recession-beating thirteen pounds? Or is this a false economy?

And, in the event of the latter: do Toni & Guy accept call-outs?

Answers on a postcard. (Others' experiences of self-cutting – no, not in that sense – also welcome.)

ReputationRep:
    It looks fine, but you haven't shown the back and I imagine that is the hardest place to cut.

ReputationRep:
    It looks fine. Nice facial hair.

ReputationRep:
    Looks good to me.

ReputationRep:
    I cut my own hair, I cut the long bits on tops, but the black barbers give me a fade down the size and back, so it's pretty easy to trim. Every 3 weeks before I get a haircut I snip a bit off the end of every strand on top, this way my hair stays the same length all the time

ReputationRep:
    Apart from your nose, you look like a younger Mick Hucknall.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness it's a lot easier to cut curly hair yourself, in the sense that it's not incredibly noticeable if you mess it up a little (not that you have).

It looks pretty good so yeah, money well saved :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)

Oh, Jesus wept. Shared heritage notwithstanding, I like to think that my physiognomy renders me at least marginally less akin to a ginger potato.

(Original post by Valh)
    It looks fine, but you haven't shown the back and I imagine that is the hardest place to cut.
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    In all fairness it's a lot easier to cut curly hair yourself, in the sense that it's not incredibly noticeable if you mess it up a little (not that you have).

It looks pretty good so yeah, money well saved :p:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    I cut my own hair, I cut the long bits on tops, but the black barbers give me a fade down the size and back, so it's pretty easy to trim. Every 3 weeks before I get a haircut I snip a bit off the end of every strand on top, this way my hair stays the same length all the time
    Could you not accomplish this yourself with the aid of strategically-placed mirrors, or is there more to it than meets the eye?

Anyhow, in the spirit of venturing still further outside of my comfort-zone (and because I've never been one to shirk from vanity), I've tried to cultivate a more overt 'style':

Spoiler:
    Show

Will photograph the back tomorrow, since I imagine that to be the primary denominator of 'failure' versus 'success', but further comments are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)

This. :teehee:

But the actual do looks fine. Christ, I wish I could do my own haircuts.

ReputationRep:
    If a man is good enough for Trigger, he's good enough for me.

ReputationRep:
    Looks pretty good; you wouldn't be able to tell it was self-cut. I'm thinking of embracing the old curls myself at the moment, rather then trying to suppress them.

ReputationRep:
    I think you've done a good job. Its probably harder for guys to cut thier own hair.... i do know one guy who cuts his own hair.. and he's really good at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Oh, Jesus wept. Shared heritage notwithstanding, I like to think that my physiognomy renders me at least marginally less akin to a ginger potato.

Could you not accomplish this yourself with the aid of strategically-placed mirrors, or is there more to it than meets the eye?

Anyhow, in the spirit of venturing still further outside of my comfort-zone (and because I've never been one to shirk from vanity), I've tried to cultivate a more overt 'style':

Spoiler:
    Show

Will photograph the back tomorrow, since I imagine that to be the primary denominator of 'failure' versus 'success', but further comments are welcome.

Lol, in theory yes, it should be a case of mirrors set up and kabam, but it's soo much harder. I've tried three-times and failed...three times. There's some serious hand-eye co-ordination to be learnt, which I struggle to get to grips with :/ I've just decided to leave to to the black barbers to hook me up.

As for the person that said cutting curly hair is easy it's actually harder. If you just cut, you're not cutting evenly unless you blow dry it out or straighten it, if you cut while curly the bit you're cutting = some short bits/long bits basically all uneven

Excuse grammar it's like 1.28 am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    If a man is good enough for Trigger, he's good enough for me.
    Have you considered a career as a forensic examiner?

ReputationRep:
    You look better with shorter hair.

ReputationRep:
    The world's tallest and most rapey leprechaun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Lol, in theory yes, it should be a case of mirrors set up and kabam, but it's soo much harder. I've tried three-times and failed...three times. There's some serious hand-eye co-ordination to be learnt, which I struggle to get to grips with :/ I've just decided to leave to to the black barbers to hook me up.

As for the person that said cutting curly hair is easy it's actually harder. If you just cut, you're not cutting evenly unless you blow dry it out or straighten it, if you cut while curly the bit you're cutting = some short bits/long bits basically all uneven

Excuse grammar it's like 1.28 am.
    I know what you mean. So tempted to cut my own hair (sick of others doing **** jobs) but I just can't get to grips with the hand eye coordination with multiple mirrors. Seemed easy in theory but I know I'd **** it up so bad if I tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)
    I know what you mean. So tempted to cut my own hair (sick of others doing **** jobs) but I just can't get to grips with the hand eye coordination with multiple mirrors. Seemed easy in theory but I know I'd **** it up so bad if I tried.
    Yeah it's like " Right I know the movements are opposite so instead of going left go right " - I would still go left even though I know its wrong lol DOHHHH, and it's even harder to go diagonal
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    it looks fine. Like somebody pointed out though, you haven't shown the back.

I imagine cutting curly hair isn't too scary. I cut my son's hair yesterday (as I do every few weeks) and his is straight so it's really awkward to try and get it right because if there's even a tiny piece that's wonky it's really obvious. And he's three, so he doesn't exactly stay still.

Yours, being curly, can't go too far wrong.

I'd say you did right to save the thirteen quid.

ReputationRep:
    So glad you posted pictures, saves me the trouble of screaming "PICS OF GTFO!!!":ahee:

And I think it looks great, you have amazing hair...is it weird that I want to stroke it? :^_^:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.