The Student Room Group

rude friend or me over-reacting?

I'm just asking a bit of a question about my 'best friend,' (i put in inverted commas because i'm quite confused and unsure about our friendship at the moment, but that's another story.
so last night we had our youth groups christmas party meal, and it was quite a formal thing, smart dress, dim lights, nice food, shloer (all under 18s so no alcohol!) etc, and it was a nice evening.
however, my 'best friend' spent virtually all the time checking her facebook on her phone, even when we were eating dinner and then afterwards during the youth groups got talent show which was a good laugh. is it me or does it just seem a bit rude to do it persistently through out the evening? the odd once or twice to check something maybe, but i could just she was just flicking through her news feed as if she couldn't think of anything better to do. a couple of times i sorta joked oh put your phone away, and she did, but then she just got it out again a few minutes later. is it me or is this just down right rude?
i don't really know what i should say to her, but i just wanted a bit of confirmation/opinion on whether she was rude, or me just over-reacting?
thanks
btw, i never got annoyed at her out loud, i just thought it in my head.
Well firstly, there are bigger problems in the world than wasting time posting about your friend spending too much time on facebook in an evening.

I agree that yes, a night especially for spending time with people should consist of everyone interacting and having a laugh but its facebook and you're under 16. Alot of people do it without the intention of being rude. It does not put her being you best friend into question so in that sense you are over-reacting :s-smilie:
thanks for your post, she is actually 19, me 17, and the fact she was using her phone so much was not what is putting my friendship with her in question, theres a multitude of things, it kinda just added to it
Reply 3
Argh it annoys me so much when people do that.
Personally I think it is rude but there's not much you can do about it other than drop hints and jokes.
I suppose you could pour your drink over its screen and say really loudly "OOPS".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending